The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

A few questions about the University of Wolverhampton eg Freshers week

Hi everyone, I'll be starting this year doing Video and Film Production- anyone here doing the same??

I have a few questions that's been going on in my head for some time now so I'd greatly appreciate any help! :smile:

1. I hear from some people they are starting uni in September but I was told I had to start freshers on 6th Oct and studying starts on 13th Oct??

2. A distant relative of mine told me she found out she had to be kicked out of uni every term so it can be rented out for other people during the holidays. This made me worried so I would like to ask anyone if this university doesn't do that?

3. To follow the 2nd question, do we have to find a flat or another halls for the 2nd year?

4. Can I ask what exactly does Freshers week involve? I hear it's partying etc in the nights but I want to know what is involved in the day? I hear they have stalls etc but what for? To join societies?

5. I'm deaf so fitting in will be harder for me but I can talk, I just have to heavily rely on lip-reading. I would like to ask if there's any society I could join in that would be linked to sign-language (or any society that would simply welcome me?) Or/and is there any people out there who is studying deaf studies or deaf themselves?! (I would love to get know to people!) :biggrin:

6. I really want to get fit at uni and my little dream is to play for a football team. I've always played football, growing up but unfortunately, due to lack of teams around me, I haven't played for a few years and I'm am physically unfit. I just wondered if the girls football would still accept me to practice and play again or is it strictly pro?

I'm so, so sorry for all the questions but I would love it if you would help me! :colondollar: :biggrin:
Original post by RosiePosieTosie3
Hi everyone, I'll be starting this year doing Video and Film Production- anyone here doing the same??

I have a few questions that's been going on in my head for some time now so I'd greatly appreciate any help! :smile:

1. I hear from some people they are starting uni in September but I was told I had to start freshers on 6th Oct and studying starts on 13th Oct??

2. A distant relative of mine told me she found out she had to be kicked out of uni every term so it can be rented out for other people during the holidays. This made me worried so I would like to ask anyone if this university doesn't do that?

3. To follow the 2nd question, do we have to find a flat or another halls for the 2nd year?

4. Can I ask what exactly does Freshers week involve? I hear it's partying etc in the nights but I want to know what is involved in the day? I hear they have stalls etc but what for? To join societies?

5. I'm deaf so fitting in will be harder for me but I can talk, I just have to heavily rely on lip-reading. I would like to ask if there's any society I could join in that would be linked to sign-language (or any society that would simply welcome me?) Or/and is there any people out there who is studying deaf studies or deaf themselves?! (I would love to get know to people!) :biggrin:

6. I really want to get fit at uni and my little dream is to play for a football team. I've always played football, growing up but unfortunately, due to lack of teams around me, I haven't played for a few years and I'm am physically unfit. I just wondered if the girls football would still accept me to practice and play again or is it strictly pro?

I'm so, so sorry for all the questions but I would love it if you would help me! :colondollar: :biggrin:

1. I've been told freshers is 6th October

2. I didn't, I had to move in June when I was staying for a short time, but I was moved to different halls

3. No you don't, you can stay for 3 years, but it's up to you

4. I can't really help you with this one, I know there's a freshers fair and a societies fair, but I didn't really go to them

5. Again I'm sorry I can't really help you with this

6. I was really unfit when I got to uni, and during trials I was played as a right back (I'm a striker) and still got through to second trials, if you have the ability you should be able to do pretty well.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, i'm a current student at wolves. 3rd year/ going onto 4th.

1. Best thing to do is print of the academic calender it will give you note of all the dates and holidays throughout the year for each semester. I'm not sure if they've given you access to evision yet. but once you have you'll find it useful for any questions. You read right welcome week is from Oct 6th for new students. The following week Oct 13th your actual course lectures will start.

2. I haven't stayed in accommodation personally but i know people that have and i don't think they do that according my knowledge of it.

3. The uni will let you know about accommodations and flats to rent for students they have alot of advertising for it in the welcome week. You can rent the same flat for every year.

4. Freshers week is to get you introduced to everything that is available to you and introduction to your course. Chance to talk to some of the teaching staff that work there. You can meet the student reps who will let you know about societies you can join and student union and the help that's available.

5. If the university is aware of your hearing impairment they'll let you know about the facilities and help that is available. During my time at the uni i have met some people with learning difficulties and i have seen students who use sign language, so i'm sure you'll meet new people! :biggrin:

6. I'm not too familiar with the university's sports and gym, so i can't help you there but ask any of the student reps and student union they'll answer any of your questions

Hope This helps :smile:

Good luck
Thank you both for your massive help!! Mimz101, thank you for informing me about the evision website. I had forgotten about it and didn't realise it had so much information! Thank you!

Any more help or advice from anyone would be brilliant! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hey, I think I can chip in an extra few cents.

1. Here's the academic calendar 2014/15 - yup freshers / welcome week starts 6 Oct, the actual semester starts 13 Oct. You'll likely move into halls during September some time.

2. A couple of friends have been and gone to Wolves and I didn't hear anything about that sort of thing, however it never came up so best to check.

3. I don’t remember coming across anything about the uni halls being for 1st years only, so I assume you can stay there 2nd/3rd year. However if the uni accommodation is all full up or you just want to check out the other options, Victoria Halls and Chambers 51 are good. I went for Victoria Halls (standard) myself.

4. Yeah freshers / welcome week is mostly about the nights. During the day you hang out with your flatmates, go to events to make friends, for example I was with a friend at Liverpool uni and after everyone moved in (put their stuff down), they went to the student union bar (it wasn't open, they were just using the space) and everyone was introducing themselves to one another. Birmingham City do group treasure hunts as icebreaker type activities. And yeah, freshers fairs with stalls where sports and societies to recruit new people.

Here’s a PDF version of this years welcome week guide, it includes a breakdown of activities on each day.

5. There is a Sign-Language society listed on the Student Union societies page, however the page doesn’t give any info. I might see you there, I taught myself a some basic BSL a while ago but never had the chance to use it. Lucky for me I noticed a taster session for BSL classes in that welcome week guide, so I can brush up and learn more. :biggrin:

6. From what I gather unis have two teams, recreational and competitive, so you can choose if its just for fun or you want to represent the uni vs other unis.
In terms of getting fit, the uni does have a gym but from the look of it its very small for the number of students, so I assume it gets rammed. There’s a 360 tour somewhere on the uni website but I can't find it. Alternatively there's a pure gym about 10mins bus from the city centre, at the Bentley Bridge retail park. From memory uni gym is around £17, pure gym is about the same and it's huge with tons of machines, so it might be a better choice. There’s also Wolverhampton Swimming & Fitness Centre.

I’ll be a fresher in october (studying computer science) if you want to add me on facebook add /krisbolton after facebook.com (I would link but the mod removed last link). I went to school in Wolves if you have any questions about the place by the way.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

1. 06/10/2014 freshers next week start yes.

2. Randall lines (city economy) closes during the summer.

3. You can stay in accomodation halls for your full degree

4. Generally it will be stalls promoting societies and sports, apart from that not much, there is also a campus tour for those who have not had one yet.

5. been covered

6. There will be trials, so I dunno, but if you are staying in halls you can use the gym free of charge during off peak hours with a halls membership, or upgrade to a full one, but that costs money. If your fitness is lacking, build it up in first year and try again in second year, but to be honest I couldn't tell you the ins and outs, that is down to each sports team.
I got a booklet through the post with activities that are going on in freshers week like language tasters and things and one of those included British sign language so I'm sure a lot of students would be able to help you

Sign Language Society is one of the biggest and busiest societies on City campus. There are loads of trainee interpreters, deaf studies students and deaf students who all get together most weeks. We have sign language users, CI users, lip-readers, a complete mix of students :smile:

They're a friendly bunch who'll love to get to know you once you're on campus :smile:

I am the course rep for Deaf Studies so if you have any questions about that side of things, just let me know and I'll do my best to help you out :smile:

With regards to your accommodation, you should get a deaf friendly room within halls with flashing doorbells, a vibrating fire alarm pager and lots of other useful things you might need / want.

If you decide to live in private accommodation in 2nd and 3rd year, the West Midlands Fire Department will come to your house / flat and liase with you and your landlord about what they need to do to make the accommodation suitable for you to live in. They will also bring an interpreter with them to make sure that you don't miss out on anything :smile:

All of the other questions have been answered but I thought I'd answer the ones about deaf studies etc.

Any other questions, just let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending