The Student Room Group

How much do you pay for your accommodation in the private sector? [POLL]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Baldness
Enjoy repaying your loan you cretin !

I get minimum maintenance loan, my parents pay the difference for my rent and living costs. I'll be paying back the same amount if not less than you. :wink:
Original post by Reina
This is what happens when some genius decides to build a university in South Kensington :frown:

I assume you go imperial. Have you considered not living in zone 1?

I think you could probably get a rent price of around £5000 or less in zones 2-3, certainly outer those as well
Original post by fuzzybear
How much would you pay for bills per month? because £360 for rent is a pretty sweet deal. Not having to pay for rent in july and august is also great as well, but don't you have the hassle of moving all your stuff out each year?

I never really paid much attention to anything. We had the 60Mb/s Virgin Media Student package (so 9 months instead of 12) but aside from that I can't remember. I suspended my studies early so I wasn't there the whole time.

We typically only keep our accommodation for one year anyway, no hassle.
Reply 43
Original post by Jack93o
I assume you go imperial. Have you considered not living in zone 1?

I think you could probably get a rent price of around £5000 or less in zones 2-3, certainly outer those as well

You assume correctly :smile:

I did look into Fullham and Hammersmith, but they weren't that much cheaper I'm afraid. The issue with going further out is the added travel cost (and possible safety issues). I managed to get a 39 week contract as well, so the price isn't too bad for Earls Court.
Original post by Reina
You assume correctly :smile:

I did look into Fullham and Hammersmith, but they weren't that much cheaper I'm afraid. The issue with going further out is the added travel cost (and possible safety issues). I managed to get a 39 week contract as well, so the price isn't too bad for Earls Court.

Oh yeah I forgot about the travel costs, I think an annual zone 1-3 travelcard would cost over £1000
Reply 45
Original post by Jack93o
Oh yeah I forgot about the travel costs, I think an annual zone 1-3 travelcard would cost over £1000

I'm assuming you're from Imperial too then. Whereabouts are you living?
Original post by Reina
I'm assuming you're from Imperial too then. Whereabouts are you living?

I don't go uni in London, but I live there and I know people who go UCL and kings, from what I've heard, a lot of students live in zone 2. Apparently you can bus it quite easily to those unis.
Looking at the poll results, I'm surprised how cheap most people's accommodation is, but then again most of you aren't studying in london or bristol. Do most of you have full 12 month contracts?
Original post by Red Richie
Looking at the poll results, I'm surprised how cheap most people's accommodation is, but then again most of you aren't studying in london or bristol. Do most of you have full 12 month contracts?

I live in Brighton and it's might expensive down here. But I'd still prefer to be here than anywhere else.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I live in Brighton and it's might expensive down here. But I'd still prefer to be here than anywhere else.

Yeah I heard brighton's another expensive place. Seems like the more 'yuppy' a place is, the more expensive it is. How much do you pay by the way?
Yeah I heard brighton's another expensive place. Seems like the more 'yuppy' a place is, the more expensive it is. How much do you pay by the way?

This year is £82 a week but next year is £95 a week. But next year's house is much nicer.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
This year is £82 a week but next year is £95 a week. But next year's house is much nicer.

£95 a week, not inclusive of bills? :eek:
£95 a week, not inclusive of bills? :eek:

Not including bills. That's moderately priced for Brighton. I've seen places that are £115 a week excluding bills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending