The Student Room Group

Studying uni things before uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilsoncw1997
thats quite close why not york?

Wanted to move but not be far away. If I went to York my parents would probably expect me to live at home.
Read some stuff by all means. It's a good way to get to know the key introductory texts however most of the reading you're going to do is going to be useless. You need to know what you think about what they're saying not what's being said and who's saying it. That kind of understanding takes time and guidance from your course mates, lectures and seminars. It means being grounded in the body of the literature. Those techniques are something that you will learn throughout your first year, anything done now is beneficial. All reading is beneficial. But in all honesty if you don't do it it is by far not the end of the world.
Reply 22
Nerd :colonhash:
I am just going over A level notes and then I will dive into some things just so I don't feel out of sorts when I do start the course.
I really do need to brush up on chemistry but i's basically impossible to concentrate in my house plus I get so tired in the heat and find it hard to concentrate because I get sleepy.

I think I will start watching chem lectures online soon though as I find it easier to listen than read.
Reply 25
Original post by David B
Sounds it and I live in York :smile: I'm going to Hull to study Computer Science.

Many people had been saying the uni accommodations is absolutely horrendous and full of bugs -_-
Original post by Caedus
Nope. But then, I've always relied on effortless superiority.

I've always just relied on my natural ability to usually understand things easily and do exams and coursework like a breeze, got to university and struggled immensely in the first semester and nearly dropped out. Not doing that again! :lol:
Reply 27
I want to do some preliminary reading but I'm doing Liberal Arts so I'm not 100% sure what subjects/modules I'm picking yet.

I know what I want to subjects I want to do but I don't know how it will be timetabled and what will be available :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'm going into my second year and I cannot stress the importance of working through the reading list over summer if you have it available and have the time to do so. Of course, if your aim is only to pass first year, then don't bother, but if you want to get good grades then getting as much reading done in summer will leave you with more time during the term to do the extra readings and study the topics in more in depth. That's what gets you good grades.

Also, doing the reading before the relevant lectures is great anyway because you are familiar with the topic but you also know which bits are heavily covered in the text and which bits aren't so much, so you can take really effective notes based on the content you already know you have.

I wonder what subject you're doing. That hasn't been my experience at all in regards to the summer reading. Although I totally agree with you node the OP is at uni. Not saying you're wrong but it's something I haven't really thought about in terms of doing well.
Reply 29
Original post by kkboyk
Many people had been saying the uni accommodations is absolutely horrendous and full of bugs -_-

(not in Hull), people I lived near had a huge rat in their kitchen at one point.

The problem with so many students living together, independent of their parents, is that things get messy. Like not taking bin bags out, food on the floor in the kitchen, and plates going mouldy, so bugs tend to be a common side-effect of this!

I like to think I was relatively tidy, but I have seen some flats which were so disgusting I don't know how they were living there! Just hope you have good flatmates, and try to wash your dishes within 24 hours of using them, helps a lot :wink:
Original post by kkboyk

what type of bugs?
I have tons on my PC

Original post by Lil08
Nerd :colonhash:

I'm a geek, but close enough.
Original post by lamyers1
(not in Hull), people I lived near had a huge rat in their kitchen at one point.

The problem with so many students living together, independent of their parents, is that things get messy. Like not taking bin bags out, food on the floor in the kitchen, and plates going mouldy, so bugs tend to be a common side-effect of this!

I like to think I was relatively tidy, but I have seen some flats which were so disgusting I don't know how they were living there! Just hope you have good flatmates, and try to wash your dishes within 24 hours of using them, helps a lot :wink:

THIS
Reply 32
what type of bugs?
I have tons on my PC

I'm a geek, but close enough.

Silverfish.

Don't get October 31st and December 25th mixed up (if you understand the computer joke here) :wink:

THIS

Phaha this is basically what the flat next door to me looked like every day, would drive me so crazy sometimes I'd just let myself in and do the dishes so I could sit down comfortably in that flat :tongue:

I'm living with 2 of those people this coming September and I'm going to kick their arses into shape. I don't mind doing other people's dishes occasionally or helping out but I certainly won't allow myself to be expected of it
Original post by kkboyk
Silverfish.

Don't get October 31st and December 25th mixed up (if you understand the computer joke here) :wink:

Please I hate those things...
Reply 35
People actually do this? :bricks:
Reply 36
Please I hate those things...

There's a thread all about it there on TSR
Original post by kkboyk
there's a thread all about it there on tsr

and i would never dare to venture there
Reply 38

THIS

I see no mold! This is not a bad student flat! Haha.

Only joking, but my flat did occasionally look like this,due to 6 people sharing a sink in exam season and not doing washing up straight away.
Reply 39
Original post by xloisx
People actually do this? :bricks:

Yeah, it's highly useful especially if you don't have a particular AS/A2 they advise to have e.g. further maths for physics and engineering.

I already covered all of C3 this month and next month gonna do C4 and FP1, so when I start in September it will all just be revision; maybe I'll be able to get an A* :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending