The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
He didn't get a lot of game time last season did he? Him and Javi Garcia? From the outside looking in City doesn't really feel like a 'team' maybe that's why there's reports of several players of theirs leaving... Maybe it's personal issues or something I dunno.

Had a knee injury that kept him out for most of the season. Arsenal DNA.
Original post by little_tom
Had a knee injury that kept him out for most of the season. Arsenal DNA.

Oh that's why :colonhash:

Had hoped he'd fallen out of favour with Pellegrini :colone:
Reply 1582
Original post by baconbutty
Or it suggests he didn't want to damage his PR

Was stupid from mertersacker leave it to the changing room ozil got slated in the press because the supposed leader of the team brought attention to something so trivial

Or maybe Ozil deserved that public humiliation?
You could give them a run for their money I think

kmt.
Original post by AR_95
Or maybe Ozil deserved that public humiliation?

What does that achieve? All it does it put the spotlight on him and make the media attack him more often (which everyone in here seems to cry about every other week)
Reply 1585
What does that achieve? All it does it put the spotlight on him and make the media attack him more often (which everyone in here seems to cry about every other week)

The media gives him stick, regardless of matches where he does or doesn't deserve it for his performances. This is a different matter though (poor behaviour)
Original post by AR_95
The media gives him stick, regardless of matches where he does or doesn't deserve it for his performances. This is a different matter though (poor behaviour)

This was something that was spoke about by the media a decent amount after and he was slated for it. Still don't know what it actually achieved though except mertersacker trying to endear himself to the fans. Pretty much all the pundits agreed he was stupid as well and should of had a word in the changing rooms instead. It wasn't anything close to resembling good leadership
Baconbutty is actually a Spurs fan. You heard it here first. Guys got ****e hart lane written all over his words.
Reply 1588
Apparently flamini Gibbs and szchney swapped wengers coffee for gravy and he wanted to send them home... According to twitter
Reply 1589
Wenger on Campbell: "I love his talent. Because we love those players, when they have the ball, we think something can happen."

"I have to assess him in pre season to see if he has a chance to play for us, because the competition is very hard."

"He is ready now and I will have to make a decision on him before the season starts."

I really do Campbell proves to Wenger he's can do a job. He deserves chance to show what he can do, we owe it to him in fairness. I'm a big fans of his already it wouldn't be fair if he leave and Sanogo stays
Reply 1591
Original post by sevchenko
Wenger on Campbell: "I love his talent. Because we love those players, when they have the ball, we think something can happen."

"I have to assess him in pre season to see if he has a chance to play for us, because the competition is very hard."

"He is ready now and I will have to make a decision on him before the season starts."

I really do Campbell proves to Wenger he's can do a job. He deserves chance to show what he can do, we owe it to him in fairness. I'm a big fans of his already it wouldn't be fair if he leave and Sanogo stays

Thing is that when I've seen Campbell play he has this aura of boastfulness or is always trying to pull of more than he can actually do/achieve. Sense of cockiness from him though it's good that he has the hunger. I think Sanogo is under rated tbh. Yes he really lacks a lot of technical ability tbh and hasn't scored for us, but the presence and threat near the box he has offered can't be forgotten or missed. He wasn't even meant to be our back up for Giroud so I'd say he's done ok for an unprepared role and will become quite a decent player in the future. Wouldn't mind loaning Sanogo for a year though and giving Campbell the trial just for this coming season however.

I am a fan of THE Sanogo
Original post by t()m
Apparently flamini Gibbs and szchney swapped wengers coffee for gravy and he wanted to send them home... According to twitter

Sometimes a joke can go too far. Wenger needs to buy a DM now to show Flamini who's boss :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
don campbell will do a mad ting here. truth be told haven't watched the lad in that dead greek league, but from his champions league games and him shutting down italia and uruguay - the lad deserve a chance here

I do not want to see sanogo start another game for us until he comes back from a loan. He reminds me of bambi on ice when he tries to score

Akpom deserve a start a head of Bambi.

the lad akpom has the fire and will, bambi still living off that under 20 france world cup performance last year, he feels he has nothing to prove.

the gawd is not convinced.
Original post by AR_95
Thing is that when I've seen Campbell play he has this aura of boastfulness or is always trying to pull of more than he can actually do/achieve. Sense of cockiness from him though it's good that he has the hunger. I think Sanogo is under rated tbh. Yes he really lacks a lot of technical ability tbh and hasn't scored for us, but the presence and threat near the box he has offered can't be forgotten or missed. He wasn't even meant to be our back up for Giroud so I'd say he's done ok for an unprepared role and will become quite a decent player in the future. Wouldn't mind loaning Sanogo for a year though and giving Campbell the trial just for this coming season however.

I am a fan of THE Sanogo

Sanogo has got a decent technique about him but he literally has no brain whatsoever. He doesn't use pace or strength to take advantage and bully defenders.

I also think he gives to much respect to the opposition on the pitch, maybe over alled by being in England and playing for Arsenal, he needs to be more aggressive. He needs to watch some of Adebayor's time at Arsenal, the guy was an absolute bastard to PL defenders tbf it was more than reflected in his personality.

I honestly don't know what a loan could do for Sanogo. He needs to be coached, I doubt many other managers would have the patience required to ensure he develops he needs guidance not gametime

dat pace :sogood:

I'd kill to have a DM as good as him again.
Reply 1596
Original post by sevchenko
Sanogo has got a decent technique about him but he literally has no brain whatsoever. He doesn't use pace or strength to take advantage and bully defenders.

I also think he gives to much respect to the opposition on the pitch, maybe over alled by being in England and playing for Arsenal, he needs to be more aggressive. He needs to watch some of Adebayor's time at Arsenal, the guy was an absolute bastard to PL defenders tbf it was more than reflected in his personality.

I honestly don't know what a loan could do for Sanogo. He needs to be coached, I doubt many other managers would have the patience required to ensure he develops he needs guidance not gametime

Respect to the opposition maybe but like I mentioned he was playing an unprepared role and knowledge will come with time. Has also been a massive leap for him in terms of responsibility as moving to Auxerre to being Arsenal's 2nd choice striker is not to be underestimated especially at his age and inexperience. I'd like Sanogo to play for us next season as rotation in the smaller games. Reason I said we should loan Sanogo out is because Campbell will be our back up meaning Sanogo will most likely be unheard of for a while although true, better to just mentor him and keep him close because I can't see anyone else doing any better for him than Wenger. I still think he can develop into something much better and maybe not the next Adebayor but a decent target man one day.

Although I would say that Campbell seems to me like the player who will do well in the premier league, definitely has the right attitude when I see him play. He's the safer bet between the two right now but I'm much more optimistic about Sanogo then other fans are tbh so a little bias from me here
(edited 9 years ago)
Sanogo literally plays like a park footballer, there is no finesse to his game whatsoever. But there is something there, I dont think we'd have won the cup without him.
Reply 1598
Realistically what do we expect Sanchez to provide us next season? It's been mentioned before he'd just be an upgrade on Cazorla and I'd agree (although a massive upgrade) but does it really solve our striking problems? Do we really want Campbell to be our backup or are we just blinded by the fact that he's already owned by Arsenal? I'm not so sure he would have received the same bandwagon had he been at a different club and we announced a move for him. Definitely not a bad prospect and usable for smaller games but I would not be so sure to start/sub him on in the big ones or games we are chasing. Sanchez most likely will spend most of his time for us on the wings and what with Walcott back it means Cazorla, AOC, Rosicky and Podolski all get shifted. Solves our problem of pace (if both remain fit) and penetrating defences but still there is no cover for Giroud as Sanogo/Campbell are far from ready for being our rotation players. Some one like Bony who might not be an upgrade on Giroud but is of similar calibre would be a good buy, heck even Mandzukic would have been great so god knows why we let him slip to Atletico as we could have easily won that transfer. On todays market 20m for Bony doesn't really sound ridiculous but heck if Ballotelli is even going for 15m then that is an absolute steal, regardless if he becomes the world beater for us or just does the job.

Giroud has seemed to thrive with his link up play and feed off balls to the others so providing him with an actual partner ( and not just Sanogo) could benefit us a lot as we've been quite strong playing 4-4-2 the previous season (albiet only for a few games played).
Let's just look at the options our rivals have :
City : Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko, Jovetic
Chelsea : Costa, Lukaku, Ba, Torres, Drogba?
Liverpool : Sturridge, Remy, Lambert, (not including Origi) and Markovic
UTD : RVP , Welbeck, Hernandez, (rooney?)

We have Giroud, Sanogo and Campbell. By far we have the worst selection although not trying to slate Giroud but our depth is quite shocking tbh and for a side that's trying to win the league yet compete with these other teams at the same time I'm surprised we haven't signed another striker and find it absurd Wenger has rulen out on doing so. Even by adding Mandzukic and Remy ( which would have costed in the region of about 30m for the two so not breaking the bank) it would have been more than enough but what happens next season when Giroud actually gets a long term injury and we're all shouting about how Wenger still hasn't signed an RVP replacement in so many years. Earlier on this season pretty much the majority of Arsenal fans and neutrals said that we are lacking that 30 goal striker and that buying a left wing would be purely luxory. So we've bought Sanchez instead (which is great imo) but I really fail to see why we'd stop buying another striker. Hindsight becomes a bitch midway through the season and although we came close to a challenge with the injured squad we had last season, it will only be harder for next now that UTD and arguably Chelsea are out of their transitional periods.

With Sanchez, Debuchy and a new solid CDM I still predict at best we'd finish 3rd place with a better CL run (quarters, would love Semi's) but we're at the stage where we should be aiming for 1st place so I am very worried that the club will have failed to move forward yet again even though we have spent early this window (which was necessary regardless).

There are 6 weeks left If i'm right. I hope revealing that we're not in for a striker is a tactical game if anything and that Wenger is preparing a secret move for some one big but highly doubt it right now.

We've made good progress so far for sure, but we're only half way there yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1599
Original post by Zürich
Sanogo literally plays like a park footballer, there is no finesse to his game whatsoever. But there is something there, I dont think we'd have won the cup without him.

People miss how much presence and threat he has offered. Not clinical enough yet but hopefully he will get there one day

Latest