Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: Not entirely sure
Scholarships: None
Savings: £1500 (ish)
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £
Weekly spend after Accommodation: About £26

Wtf, where are you living with accommodation at that price? :eek: assuming outside of london since your loan doesn't reflect the loan amount I think london students are supposed to get.
Original post by SophieSmall
Wtf, where are you living with accommodation at that price? :eek: assuming outside of london since your loan doesn't reflect the loan amount I think london students are supposed to get.

I'm at Nottingham Trent (hopefully) haha, there was cheaper but i decided that i'd save up more money for nicer accommodation!
Original post by Laurenrxo
I'm at Nottingham Trent (hopefully) haha, there was cheaper but i decided that i'd save up more money for nicer accommodation!

Oh aha fair enough, still £26 a week isn't much if you like to go out a lot.
I got the cheapest accommodation first year, wasn't actually that bad.
Reply 203
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Bursaries: £2000
Scholarships: None
Savings: £1200
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £6112.33 (catered/ensuite)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: around £111
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh aha fair enough, still £26 a week isn't much if you like to go out a lot.
I got the cheapest accommodation first year, wasn't actually that bad.

Yeah i know, that's why ive saved loads and am working like mad this summer haha, i just didn't like the idea of shared toilets!
Where are you? :smile:
Yeah i know, that's why ive saved loads and am working like mad this summer haha, i just didn't like the idea of shared toilets!
Where are you? :smile:

Ahah I didn't like the idea of shared toilets with people I didn't know at first just because like toilet shyness? Which just sounds silly saying :') but it was actually alright got used to it real quick.

I'm in Liverpool, yourself?
Ahah I didn't like the idea of shared toilets with people I didn't know at first just because like toilet shyness? Which just sounds silly saying :') but it was actually alright got used to it real quick.

I'm in Liverpool, yourself?

Yeah that's what i thought haha, just wanted my owl toilet and shower too but fair enough, it's the cheapest option!

I'm in Hertfordshire :smile:
Reply 207
Maintenance Loan: £7717
Bursaries: £6350

Savings: £1000
Money from Parents: £1500

Accommodation Cost: £5600 (40 Weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £350
Yeah that's what i thought haha, just wanted my owl toilet and shower too but fair enough, it's the cheapest option!

I'm in Hertfordshire :smile:

Ooh right down south then, never been myself. What're you studying?
Original post by Nigella
Maintenance Loan: £7717
Bursaries: £6350

Savings: £1000
Money from Parents: £1500

Accommodation Cost: £5600 (40 Weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £350

Holy crap! I didn't even know you could get a loan that high, plus that's a sweet bursary you've got there :tongue:
Reply 210
Holy crap! I didn't even know you could get a loan that high, plus that's a sweet bursary you've got there :tongue:

hahaha sophie :tongue: i applied for the bigger loan
Maintenance Loan: 5048 (something like that)

Maintenance Grant: 0

Bursaries: 0

Scholarships: potentially 300/year, which is nothing

Savings: ~2000

Money from Parents: 15000 per year into a savings account which will account for tuition, some for the maintenance loan, and living expenses.

Accommodation Cost: depending on what I get, between 5550 (150/week) to 7400 (200/week)

Weekly spend after Accommodation:
200/week? No idea tbh.

Living in London is expensive! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nigella

There's a bigger loan? O.o?
Also you have a grant as well, doesn't the loan tend to decrease as the grant increases? :tongue: You're gonna live in luxury (I'm guessing you're in London)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only get £3,600 because my mum earns a pretty decent amount, then again, we're a single income family and so I'm receiving the same amount as children from families who earn much more.

Accommodation is £5,200, so I'm £1,600 under budget before living costs of at least £30 a week have been taken into consideration, let alone transport between university and home and the cost of course materials.

Put me straight off the idea of going to university next year to be honest, keeping hold of my conditional offer but I'm about 90% sure I'll do a gap year instead.
Original post by Nigella

I also applied for the bigger loan :P didn't give me that much, are you studying in london by any chance? Because that would make more sense but still cray!
Original post by moggington
I only get £3,600 because my mum earns a pretty decent amount, then again, we're a single income family and so I'm receiving the same amount as children from families who earn much more.

Accommodation is £5,200, so I'm £1,600 under budget before living costs of at least £30 a week have been taken into consideration, let alone transport between university and home and the cost of course materials.

Put me straight off the idea of going to university next year to be honest, keeping hold of my conditional offer but I'm about 90% sure I'll do a gap year instead.

Can you apply for the larger loan amount?
Reply 216
Original post by Moonstruck16
There's a bigger loan? O.o?
Also you have a grant as well, doesn't the loan tend to decrease as the grant increases? :tongue: You're gonna live in luxury (I'm guessing you're in London)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes there is :biggrin: didn't you see the option ? Maybe only London students saw it :colondollar:

I get special support grant because I'm registered disabled :smile: . Special support grant doesn't get subtracted out of your loan :redface:
Reply 217
I also applied for the bigger loan :P didn't give me that much, are you studying in london by any chance? Because that would make more sense but still cray!

Yes :smile: I'm going to UCL. Knowing London life it'll be all gone!

I'm frugal so I won't spend it foolishly. I will have to pay it back after all :redface:
Original post by Nigella
Yes :smile: I'm going to UCL. Knowing London life it'll be all gone!

I'm frugal so I won't spend it foolishly. I will have to pay it back after all :redface:

Oooh what will you be studying? :smile:

You could put some of it into savings? Maybe save up for postgraduate study if you plan to further your studies.

I'm trying to save some money for postgraduate, only got 700 so far :')
Reply 219
Oooh what will you be studying? :smile:

You could put some of it into savings? Maybe save up for postgraduate study if you plan to further your studies.

I'm trying to save some money for postgraduate, only got 700 so far :')

I was thinking about putting it in a savings account. Apparently you can make a wee bit of interest with the Santander 123 account :tongue:

My goal is to live on as little as possible after my food and travel (will have a small 'night out' fund tho) and save the rest :colondollar:

It's the new 4 year Management Science MSci, so you get your undergrad Bsc and post grad Msci in one. I will be saving for my 4th year too.

Where are you going or do you currently go to ?

700 is loads :biggrin: well done!

Quick Reply

Latest