The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotalerReinfall
Is it therefore beneficial to have scores of 100% or close to 100% in two pure modules, even if Stats is considerably lower i.e. 85% (albeit through unfortunate circumstances)? That is to say, are you particularly impressed by scores like these or does it ultimately come down to the average?

(Not applying for Economics)

No application 'ultimately comes down' to anything - we look at all aspects of the application and then compare candidates with each other before we make our decisions. Of course averages are very important but they are not the be all and end all which is one of the reasons why we ask for indivdual module scores in the SAQ. We look closely at scores in inidivudal modules and, for a sciences applicant, pure module scores are more useful for gaguing a candidate's aptitude for sicneces than stats or decision modules.
Hello again,

After discussion with my school and psychologist I've decided that the latter will be able to complete the EC form most reliably. Also my teacher said I'll be able to self teach further maths AS to myself as I'd like to work towards STEP level out of interest regardless of if I decide to apply to Cambridge because of chances. But anyway I wanted to know if I'm expected to do STEP for NatSciPhys because the entry requirements for the colleges I'm interested in - in fact yours in particular says interview only so would I be wrong in thinking that I'm not even expected to do STEP for NatSciPhys or would it be sensible to sit it as an informal requirement because it only makes sense to strengthen my mathematical aptitude as much as I can? Also what are the maths tests like? Are they maybe a single question in STEP style?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Hello again,

After discussion with my school and psychologist I've decided that the latter will be able to complete the EC form most reliably. Also my teacher said I'll be able to self teach further maths AS to myself as I'd like to work towards STEP level out of interest regardless of if I decide to apply to Cambridge because of chances. But anyway I wanted to know if I'm expected to do STEP for NatSciPhys because the entry requirements for the colleges I'm interested in - in fact yours in particular says interview only so would I be wrong in thinking that I'm not even expected to do STEP for NatSciPhys or would it be sensible to sit it as an informal requirement because it only makes sense to strengthen my mathematical aptitude as much as I can? Also what are the maths tests like? Are they maybe a single question in STEP style?

Thanks

No college asks for STEP in Nat Sci, though it can be good preparation for Maths if you are interested in the Physics modules in Nat Sci, providing it doesn't distract from your other exams. I do not know of many Nat Sci students who have taken it when they didn't have to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello,

I am hoping to apply to study maths at Christ's. I have recently been looking at math based books to broaden my knowledge, but I have found it quite a challenge. I would appreciate it if you had few suggestions of approachable books that I could read over the summer.

Thanks
Original post by lyddsssss
Hello,

I am hoping to apply to study maths at Christ's. I have recently been looking at math based books to broaden my knowledge, but I have found it quite a challenge. I would appreciate it if you had few suggestions of approachable books that I could read over the summer.

Thanks

Hi there, the Maths faculty has produced its own introductory reading list which you may find useful. Good luck with them.
Can I ask you something sir?
What is the strongest gcse a level equivalent you have ever had from a candidate?
Hello. Is further maths particularly useful for phys natsci? Also, how much emphasis do you put on extra-curriculars in the application process (both for medicine and phys natsci)? I do a few extra-curriculars, but nothing national level. Would you recognise things like film reviewing, maths/science olympiads, language olympiads etc. as valid ECs?
Original post by thechemistress
Hello. Is further maths particularly useful for phys natsci? Also, how much emphasis do you put on extra-curriculars in the application process (both for medicine and phys natsci)? I do a few extra-curriculars, but nothing national level. Would you recognise things like film reviewing, maths/science olympiads, language olympiads etc. as valid ECs?

Fm would be super super super useful.
Hello again. Sorry for all the questions. Last two I promise. :tongue: Are relevant extracurricular activities really important for geography and if so could you recommend any? Also do you have any books that you would recommend reading. Thanks.
Hello there,

My application to Cambridge last year was unsuccessful and I would like to give it a try this year as well. What do you think, how should I rewrite my PS? I have nothing more to add since my last years' application. So any ideas what's the practice in these cases? Shall I rewrite it at all?

Thanks a lot,
fleurs
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Can I ask you something sir?
What is the strongest gcse a level equivalent you have ever had from a candidate?

I can't really answer that as it's not fair potentially to identify someone on a public forum without their permission. Sorry.
Original post by thechemistress

FM is very useful if you are planning to do Physics but for Chemistry it is not necessary. We would regard maths/science olympiads as useful for studying Natural Sciences but not film reviewing or lannguage olympiads, good as they are in themselves. Most people at Cambridge are not 'national level' in things, so don't worry.
I can't begin to explain how helpful this thread as been, thank you so much!. I just hope I'm not too late to ask a few question.

1) How useful would word experience be for Comp Sci? What other things could you do to strengthen your personal statement?
2) Do you happen to know the Average UMS scores for Comp Sci?
3) Hypothetically if an applicant had 1D, 1C but a few As and A* at GCSE and imporoved drastically (95% UMS or so) at AS Level, how much of a disadvantage would they be at?
4) By doing Maths, F Maths, Physics and Economics, does that mean my top three will be (Maths and F Maths), Physics and Economics. Despite me being a Comp Sci applicant?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I can't really answer that as it's not fair potentially to identify someone on a public forum without their permission. Sorry.

I understand sir, I think I know to whom you are referring to.

On a different question sir, can I ask what gcse, A Level or equivalent would put an applicant in the top 1% of academic credientials.

Would it be in the region of 15 A Stars at gcse, and 8 A stars at A Level?
Hello
This is a specific question so I do apologise in advance.
When I sent off my ucas application last October for engineering, I did not consider Cambridge because my UMS scores for many of my AS exams were not impressive and since they certainly did not pass the 90% barrier I often heard of, I applied to Oxford instead. After getting my results assuming all goes to plan with mostly A*s under the belt (hopefully 3), what do you think my chances are of being considered if I apply this year to start in 2015, having never applied to Cambridge before? If I decide to go ahead with this plan, I would definitely do some work experience of some sort.
Also, has this happened before and has anyone been successful?

Once again, thank you for your time.
Hello again, I have another question.
Is there any exam/qualification/activity that is held in very high regard if one were applying for engineering or physics/maths?

Many thanks
Original post by nadinepierce
Hello again. Sorry for all the questions. Last two I promise. :tongue: Are relevant extracurricular activities really important for geography and if so could you recommend any? Also do you have any books that you would recommend reading. Thanks.

As with all relevant extra curricular activites, it is what you do with them that matters, what you get out of them. So for someone it might be very important because the activity stimulates a real interest in a particular area of the subject, whereas for someone else doig the same activity it doesn;t do anything for them.

I'm not a geographer so I canlt recommend specific books but geography is such a diverse subject that you should be able to find all sorts of books on either human or physical geography that might grab your attention and you wil find interesting and useful.
Original post by defleur
Hello there,

My application to Cambridge last year was unsuccessful and I would like to give it a try this year as well. What do you think, how should I rewrite my PS? I have nothing more to add since my last years' application. So any ideas what's the practice in these cases? Shall I rewrite it at all?

Thanks a lot,
fleurs

I would rewrite it if I were you, not least to make a break in your mind from last year's application. You have developed as a student over the last year and must have some different thoughts/experiences about your subject.
Original post by oneabdi
I can't begin to explain how helpful this thread as been, thank you so much!. I just hope I'm not too late to ask a few question.

1) How useful would word experience be for Comp Sci? What other things could you do to strengthen your personal statement?
2) Do you happen to know the Average UMS scores for Comp Sci?
3) Hypothetically if an applicant had 1D, 1C but a few As and A* at GCSE and imporoved drastically (95% UMS or so) at AS Level, how much of a disadvantage would they be at?
4) By doing Maths, F Maths, Physics and Economics, does that mean my top three will be (Maths and F Maths), Physics and Economics. Despite me being a Comp Sci applicant?

Thank you in advance.

I'm really glad it's been helpful, that's the aim.

1) I don't know about word experience, do you mean Microsoft Word? As with other subjects, it is about engaging with your subject outside of the classroom and what you take from that engagement.

2) We only take a couple of Comp Scis a year so our average is not statistically significant and successful candidates have varied from high 80s SUMS average to high 90s.

3) If they are getting 95% average at AS Level then they will be a strong candidate rgeardless of what their GCSEs say. It is not easy, however, for candidates to go from mediocre GCSEs (by Cambrdge standards!) to stellar AS though it does happen sometimes.

4) That would be your top 3, but we don't pay much attention to that when looking at Science applicants. We would use your SUMS average, which would be (Maths&FM) + Physics divided by two.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I'm really glad it's been helpful, that's the aim.

1) I don't know about word experience, do you mean Microsoft Word? As with other subjects, it is about engaging with your subject outside of the classroom and what you take from that engagement.

I think they meant work experience?:dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending