The Student Room Group

Economic History (LSE)

Hi,

I'm in year 12 and exploring options for an economics related degree at university.

There doesn't seem to be much (student-posted) advice about the Economic History course at LSE, so was just wondering if there were any students who I could talk to?

Just have a few questions e.g. why economic history over straight economics; what sort of things have you written essays on; career prospects.

Many thanks!
I'm not an LSE student, but I'm applying for economic history there! You're the first person I saw on TSR applying to Econ History.

Also, I inda wanna know the answers to this as well.
Original post by Economics_Nerd
Hi,

I'm in year 12 and exploring options for an economics related degree at university.

There doesn't seem to be much (student-posted) advice about the Economic History course at LSE, so was just wondering if there were any students who I could talk to?

Just have a few questions e.g. why economic history over straight economics; what sort of things have you written essays on; career prospects.

Many thanks!

Original post by kurofune
I'm not an LSE student, but I'm applying for economic history there! You're the first person I saw on TSR applying to Econ History.

Also, I inda wanna know the answers to this as well.

If you guys want first hand advice then head over to the LSE 2014 applicants page on TSR and ask there, I'm sure there's loads of past students there.

If you're interested in seeing what both degrees entail then have a look at the module selection for both respective courses on the LSE website. I'd assume there is an element of overlap in micro/macro modules, and more focus on maths in pure econ and more focus on history/sociology and essays on econ history. For career prospects, both are really solid. The brand name of LSE matters more than the degree. For obvious reasons, however, straight economics will always carry the strongest reputation since it is LSE's flagship course, but you can't go wrong with either.
Reply 3
I'm talking here from experience as I know people who have studied Economic History there. It is hands down one of the best places in the World to study Economic History. They are a very small department, and their research is very well regarded. Teaching focuses on small seminars, with the majority of teaching being done by Professors rather than PhD students. You'll meet a lot of people who used to work in Industry (mostly Bankers and Lawyers) and who for a number of reasons are now looking to get away from all that. Work load is quite heavy, and depending on which stream you follow (quantitative vs. qualitative) you'll have a great deal of flexibility in your options!

If you have any specific questions, pm me and I can put them forward to the people I know.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending