The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've never understood this idea. The cost saving made in taking an off-peak holiday are greater than the fine. The parents can pay the fines and still be better off.
I think that there should be some discretion. If it is to visit a major cultural event or especially an elderly or sick relative then not, if it's to sit on a Spanish beach then yes. And double fines if you have ever said anything nice in public about Michael Gove.
Sadly the parents who do this are often the ones whose children can least afford to miss out on a few days of school. I fully support fines - it's a legal requirement for children to have an education, and parents should not deny their children this chance.
(edited 9 years ago)
It really depends on the child. If they've had numerous days off then fair enough but a friend of mine had 2 days off the whole year and they threatened her with a fine when she wanted a week off in April. Plus this was in yr 8 one of the least important secondary school years, at least to me.
Reply 6
Yeah parents should not be taking their kids out of school to take them to a warm beach while the rest of their class is suffering at school. And when they come back, they will be taking about the amazing time they had and will depress the rest of the students.
Yes they should be fined if the reason for taking a holiday is not convincing enough ('Weather was doing my head in so I decided to take the family to sunny Spain' is an example of an unconvincing reason)
Reply 8
Black n white answer because government doesn't really care about reasons.

I think they shouldn't be fine because it's the parent responsibility n choice. If their child suffers then they/parents will face future consequences

But it shouldn't be a fine or be made illegal

No!
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it should depend on whether or not the child is up to date and doing well in school and also at what point in the schooling they are taken out for the holiday, not much point fining parents for taking their child on holiday a few days in September but the week before exams...yeah that's not okay.
No, parents shouldn't be fined for taking their children out of school to go on holiday.
Let's be honest, for most people school isn't some kind of non-stop Dead Poet's Society with inspirational, life altering learning, so why all the fuss? In the long run, missing a few days here and there isn't going to make that much of a difference to a child's education.
Yes, a fine is appropriate. Go on holiday another time.

No, only in the case of unforeseeable circumstances such as a funeral/ ill family & age (4/5/6 is not a big deal to miss a few days, once).
(edited 9 years ago)
The real question is: if the mother of the schoolchild has a terminal illness and they want to relax and have family time on holiday together before the time comes, should they be fined?

This is my friend's scenario.
Yes the state provides free education and they are wasting that. It's a child's right to education and parents shouldn't be standing in the way of that for a cheaper holiday every school day counts and parents are selfish to deny their child that I missed a lot of important stuff through being on holiday and I will stand by what I say that my parents were selfish and had a fine system been in place they would have deserved one. Going on holiday is no different to any other truancy.
Original post by sophie !
The real question is: if the mother of the schoolchild has a terminal illness and they want to relax and have family time on holiday together before the time comes, should they be fined?

This is my friend's scenario.

I think that's different surely they can class that time off for bereavement and not a holiday?
Reply 15
Only if teachers get fined for going on strike.
Original post by victoriajackson
I think that's different surely they can class that time off for bereavement and not a holiday?

That's what I would assume too, but evidently the school disagree…

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
idk why most of yous are against taking leave

It doesn't actually affect anyone.

btw you dont get fined if its death etc..
Reply 18
Teachers should be fined for striking.
No. It's not the states business really.

My parents always used to take me out of school to go on holiday and they would have just payed the fine, because they have the same attitude as me "who are they to tell me what to do"
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending