The Student Room Group

The 14/15 NBA Season Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by woztar
I do agree, 6 for 6 in the NBA finals and the way he would dominate games.

What I don't get is why isn't Kareem Abdul Jabbar in that same conversation?

6 NBA Championships
6 League MVP's (one more than Jordan)
Only 2 Finals MVP
19 Time All Star
1 Unstoppable Skyhook

Simple, Michael Jordan created story like scenarios like "flue game", "The shot against Cleveland" "The last shot as a Bull" that the media continuously pumps into our brain.

Kareem is a grade A legend and deserves to be regarded as one of the greatest of all time. However, unfortunately people view Kareem as a great player in a "weak" 70's era and then rode Magic coat-tails in his latter career. He did the latter to some extent because he was 36-40, but he still made an impact right until his retirement.

I don't agree with "greatest of ALL TIME" rankings because the eras are too different to really compare. Plus how can anyone compare Michael Jordan to Kareem? One played the perimeter and the other in the post.

The easiest way to rank players is by position or area within a generation. E.g. top 5 perimeter player sin the 00's or top 3 PF's in the 80's etc. That way you can directly compare players in the same position or area within the same time period.
Jordan will be always be king of basketball but there are players who great in their time to like Kareem a jabbar, magic j, Larry b, etc...
Reply 82
The Big O..... everyone forgets he averaged a triple double. 😔
I dont get that argument "he scored more near the rim". Well, whats wrong with taking high % shots? Whether corner threes or ft line jumpers
Reply 84
Original post by Jingers
FGA:

05/06 Kobe - 27.2 (35.4)
06/07 Kobe - 22.8 (31.6)
05/06 Lebron - 23.1 (31.4)
07/08 Lebron - 21.9 (30)
06/07 Melo - 22.4 (28.9)
12/13 Melo - 22.2 (28.7)

Kobe avg 33.5 on 25 FGA
Lebron 30.7 on 22.5 FGA
Melo 28.8 on 22.3 FGA

Even with ****ty secondary options, Melo's highest FGA for his career is 22.4 and in his two his scoring seasons he averaged 28.8 on 22.3 FGA.

Kobe is Kobe. Never said Melo's better.
Most of LBJ's shots are near the rim where it's a higher percentage.

Give Melo 25 FGA and he's averaging 41 easy.

Lol 3 more shots and he's averaging 13 more points? How is that supposed to work? :lol:

Not convinced at all. I think Kobe, Durant and even Lebron are better scorers than Melo. The first two aren't debatable really. You can say that Lebron has most of his shots closer to the rim, but at least he is a great finisher. Melo is a **** finisher, and the stats over the past few seasons have him literallly near the bottom at FG% around the rim. Lebron scores with similar volume and far superior efficiency, meaning he's just simply a better scorer.

Now Melo is no Harden. Dude can shoot from everywhere, doesn't flop, doesn't rely on FTs, can rebound and I've been impressed with the effort he put on defense last season. I don't blame the Knicks' ****ty season on him, but he's just not that good. It is what it is.

Original post by woztar
I agree with you, however on most occasions Smith's articulate speech is correct.

He was right about LeBron but definitely overates MJ

It's not really that difficult. Lebron statistically for his career (and peak wise) blows Kobe out of the water. Clutch stats favour Lebron. Better playmaker, rebounder and overall defender. He's just a more dominant player. Only thing currently in favour of Kobe is resume, but LeBron is still in his prime. Also note that both have led their teams to two championships, while Kobe tagged along with the MDE for the 3 peat.
Original post by S-man10
I dont get that argument "he scored more near the rim". Well, whats wrong with taking high % shots? Whether corner threes or ft line jumpers

Original post by Xotol
Lol 3 more shots and he's averaging 13 more points? How is that supposed to work? :lol:

Not convinced at all. I think Kobe, Durant and even Lebron are better scorers than Melo. The first two aren't debatable really. You can say that Lebron has most of his shots closer to the rim, but at least he is a great finisher. Melo is a **** finisher, and the stats over the past few seasons have him literallly near the bottom at FG% around the rim. Lebron scores with similar volume and far superior efficiency, meaning he's just simply a better scorer.

Now Melo is no Harden. Dude can shoot from everywhere, doesn't flop, doesn't rely on FTs, can rebound and I've been impressed with the effort he put on defense last season. I don't blame the Knicks' ****ty season on him, but he's just not that good. It is what it is.

Just speaking generally, there's a difference between a scorer and someone who just puts up points. A scorer is someone who does a bit of everything - post, 3, mid, finisher etc.
Reply 86
Original post by Jingers
Just speaking generally, there's a difference between a scorer and someone who just puts up points. A scorer is someone who does a bit of everything - post, 3, mid, finisher etc.

Perhaps, but even by your definition, Melo doesn't fit the category. Last I checked, fg% at rim, LeBron was at ~75% (godly). Durant and Kobe were at ~65% (very good). Melo was at ~50%, which is like Asik level bad. :lol:
2 years ago. Lebron was 56% from the field and 40% from 3. And 50% from just inside the arc

Still better
Original post by S-man10
2 years ago. Lebron was 56% from the field and 40% from 3. And 50% from just inside the arc

Still better

It's easier to have a higher percentage when you take less shots in those areas.

There's a difference between someone who hits 4 out of 10 shots in a row and someone who hits 40 out of 100 shots in a row. Just because the percentages are the same doesn't mean it's actually the same.

Original post by Xotol
Perhaps, but even by your definition, Melo doesn't fit the category. Last I checked, fg% at rim, LeBron was at ~75% (godly). Durant and Kobe were at ~65% (very good). Melo was at ~50%, which is like Asik level bad. :lol:

You mean this year when melo was the only consistent scorer on the team who did everything? Or the previous year when he was doing the same thing only with the presence of veterans?

Before those two years with the knicks he was averaging over 60%.
Melo cant be in the same conversation as Durant or LeBron lol. Both are superior players in every facet of the game. Scoring wise Durant is the best pure scorer in the league and his efficiency is off the charts. Melo doesnt compare :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Durantula
Melo cant be in the same conversation as Durant or LeBron lol. Both are superior players in every facet of the game. Scoring wise Durant is the best pure scorer in the league and his efficiency is off the charts. Melo doesnt compare :/

1 on 1, 2 points = 1 point, 3 pointers = 2, Melo's winning.

The only way Durant is a better scorer is if you include his post up plays against perimeter defenders.
Reply 91
The scary thing is, Durant is still pretty young and can only improve.
North?
Kyle Lowry >>> Chris Paul
Original post by Jingers
Kyle Lowry >>> Chris Paul

Original post by S-man10
North?

[video="youtube;I9xnS9EJmRU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9xnS9EJmRU[/video]
Reply 97
Original post by woztar
I'm sorry but has lebron won 5 championships ?

Has Lebron finished in to 4th quarter?
There is too much to be proven in his case.

LBJ is an exceptional player and a brilliant all around player, but last time I checked 5 beats 2.

Ps. Kobe neverleft LA when things got tough

Change the record. How many championships did kobe lead LA to? 2, the same amount LeBron led Miami to.

If you look on the internet you'll see that LeBron's clutch stats are actually very good.

Well by your logic Bill Russell is the best of all time? Robert Horry is better than Jordan?

Kobe's never had to endure what LeBron had to in Cleveland otherwise he might well have done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by Wade-
Change the record. How many championships did kobe lead LA to? 2, the same amount LeBron led Miami to.

If you look on the internet you'll see that LeBron's clutch stats are actually very good.

Well by your logic Bill Russell is the best of all time? Robert Horry is better than Jordan?

Kobe's never had to endure what LeBron had to in Cleveland otherwise he might well have done

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:
Original post by woztar
:smile:

Cute

Quick Reply

Latest