The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Law and do you reckon I have a chance to get in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old_Simon
Well reading "around" anything is not good English at all. Now your suggestion that students need reading beyond the syllabus is quite understandable. But do State School Pupils know this ? And where are these books to be found except in Winchester College library ? And why should an applicant who has no requirement to do Law at A level suddenly be reading stuff not on his syllabus when the entire ethos of his school is to get high grades in his/her A levels ad reduce to zero anything beyond that? Your suggestion is that candidates from independent schools who understand the dynamics of the class system and what "education" really entails are going to have a very substantial advantage.

There are tons of resources for example ordering books online from various websites. I'm an international student from an independent school btw.
Original post by andreastitan
5A* and 4As is more than respectable and although they look at GCSE grades they aren't of PARAMOUNT importance, also it's not based just on that,as the PS plays an integral role. You're making out as if it is 5 D's. Okay other applicants may have more A*, but that doesn't mean I won't be regarded, plus the A levels are the most important, which I forgot to mention, I'm taking History, Maths, French, Computing and Physics

Your computing is not a facilitating subject and trust me is going to cut no ice in a law app to a top university. I say these things not because I am a ***. I say them because if you want to get in the game you need to know the standards.
Well reading "around" anything is not good English at all. Now your suggestion that students need reading beyond the syllabus is quite understandable. But do State School Pupils know this ? And where are these books to be found except in Winchester College library ? And why should an applicant who has no requirement to do Law at A level suddenly be reading stuff not on his syllabus when the entire ethos of his school is to get high grades in his/her A levels ad reduce to zero anything beyond that? Your suggestion is that candidates from independent schools who understand the dynamics of the class system and what "education" really entails are going to have a very substantial advantage.

troll
There are tons of resources for example ordering books online from various websites. I'm an international student from an independent school btw.

Yes. Obviously from a wealthy and educated family. Fortunately the UK provides access on equal terms to all our young people.
Your computing is not a facilitating subject and trust me is going to cut no ice in a law app to a top university. I say these things not because I am a ***. I say them because if you want to get in the game you need to know the standards.

me thinks you need to get a life
Original post by ChocolateFace123
troll

Typical. Anyone who challenges the status quo must obviously be trolling.
Yes. Obviously from a wealthy and educated family. Fortunately the UK provides access on equal terms to all our young people.

It does not necessarily mean I am wealthy and I lived in England for 10 years as well as being born there and having one parent from there, and so if you 'know the standards" tell me your advice on how I can strengthen my application...
It does not necessarily mean I am wealthy and I lived in England for 10 years as well as being born there and having one parent from there, and so if you 'know the standards" tell me your advice on how I can strengthen my application...

I wish I knew. But Oxbridge applications are a complete mystery. They go on a "gut feeling". Generally that involves being perceived to be "one of them". There is absolutely zero transparency or accountability That is why folk like Sutton Trust have no difficulty exposing their class - and consequently race prejudice - in every study they do.
Well would it be a waste applying or do i have a shot for an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite simple I think, as long as you get 2/3 As at AS or better APPLY! All these people talking about your GCSEs not being good enough and etc, ignore them. Your GCSEs are fine. I applied with only 1A* to Cambridge and didn't have 4As at AS and still got interviewed. I know people with AABC and AABB at AS who got offers for law at both. People that say you need all A*s at GCSE and all As at AS to stand a chance are talking out of their arse. You have 5 choices, put Oxford or Cambridge down for one of them rather than trying to play it safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5A* and 4As is more than respectable and although they look at GCSE grades they aren't of PARAMOUNT importance, also it's not based just on that,as the PS plays an integral role. You're making out as if it is 5 D's. Okay other applicants may have more A*, but that doesn't mean I won't be regarded, plus the A levels are the most important, which I forgot to mention, I'm taking History, Maths, French, Computing and Physics

I might add that Law at Oxbridge attracts many of the cleverest students in the country. 5 x A* at GCSE is not even in the ball park.

Seriously OP if you are gonna ask a question, take on the opinion of others instead of trying to persuade yourself through rejecting other's constructive criticisms.

If anyone says anything not in favour of your application to Oxbridge you immedetialy tries to prove them wrong when they are not.

Good job lying to yourself now when you will be the one disappointed and hurt when you are rejected pre interview

Face it, your GCSEs are simply not up to standard for the average oxford offer holder. This is not saying you dont stand a chance at all but you gotta acknowlege that the odds are against you.

You sound like those who wine about universities being "biased" of whatever trait you have after receiving a reject

Oxford also looks at percentage A*s, the fact that you have 4As on top further puts you in a bad position

Face it, and 5 A levels are hardly impressive

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Unsworth
Quite simple I think, as long as you get 2/3 As at AS or better APPLY! All these people talking about your GCSEs not being good enough and etc, ignore them. Your GCSEs are fine. I applied with only 1A* to Cambridge and didn't have 4As at AS and still got interviewed. I know people with AABC and AABB at AS who got offers for law at both. People that say you need all A*s at GCSE and all As at AS to stand a chance are talking out of their arse. You have 5 choices, put Oxford or Cambridge down for one of them rather than trying to play it safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Complete ignorance and misinformation

His GCSEs are simply not good enough, better knock it into him now then drown him in bitterness not knowing where he went wrong when he is rejected. Refer to previous post

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I read that oxford look at applicants that have between 4-7A* or higher. Considering that the A*'s were in the 90's % and the A's were a few marks off an A* it's okay.

P.S. Playing a musical instrument actually is of some importance, as it exhibits a variety of different, strong skills that can be needed in law. Plus a Grade 5 in theory and Grade 7 in the instrument is actually useful.

It demonstrates you can play the trumpet. It doesn't demonstrate anything about your competence at law. That's really the only thing Oxbridge care about.

As for your application, you'd have a reasonable chance at Cambridge contingent on an average of 90+ UMS across your best 3 subjects, though 95+ is supposedly what the typical offer holder achieves. You may find this presentation useful for giving you an idea of success rate by GCSE/UMS. The statistics for Law are not shown but it's probably similar to Medicine/Engineering in terms of the strength of the field.

I know Oxford have a very high A* requirement at GCSE for Medicine - they barely take anyone who does not get all or nearly all A*s at GCSE. I do not know if the competition for Law is quite as ferocious - best waiting for an Oxford student to come in and give you that information.

I wish I knew. But Oxbridge applications are a complete mystery. They go on a "gut feeling". Generally that involves being perceived to be "one of them". There is absolutely zero transparency or accountability That is why folk like Sutton Trust have no difficulty exposing their class - and consequently race prejudice - in every study they do.

Let's see these studies then?

It's quite amusing that you say they're a complete mystery and go on a 'gut feeling' when it's clear from the presentation above that offers are determined primarily by grades achieved.
Original post by Med_medine
Complete ignorance and misinformation

His GCSEs are simply not good enough, better knock it into him now then drown him in bitterness not knowing where he went wrong when he is rejected. Refer to previous post

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't complete ignorance nor misinformation at all.

I didn't say anywhere that he has a strong chance of getting an offer, simply that his grades shouldn't put him off at least trying. His GCSEs will be on the weak side, but they won't result in an automatic rejection without interview.

If you think that purely based on his GCSEs the OP will be rejected before getting an interview then you are deluded. If the OP gets 3/4 As and does well in the LNAT, I see no obvious reason why he would be rejected pre-interview.

It is a pointless debate anyway until the OP gets their AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClickItBack
It demonstrates you can play the trumpet. It doesn't demonstrate anything about your competence at law. That's really the only thing Oxbridge care about.

As for your application, you'd have a reasonable chance at Cambridge contingent on an average of 90+ UMS across your best 3 subjects, though 95+ is supposedly what the typical offer holder achieves. You may find this presentation useful for giving you an idea of success rate by GCSE/UMS. The statistics for Law are not shown but it's probably similar to Medicine/Engineering in terms of the strength of the field.

I know Oxford have a very high A* requirement at GCSE for Medicine - they barely take anyone who does not get all or nearly all A*s at GCSE. I do not know if the competition for Law is quite as ferocious - best waiting for an Oxford student to come in and give you that information.

Let's see these studies then?

It's quite amusing that you say they're a complete mystery and go on a 'gut feeling' when it's clear from the presentation above that offers are determined primarily by grades achieved.

Well they obviously do not go by the grades achieved alone and two vital pieces of obvious evidence support that. First, state school pupils with the same grades stand less chance of being accepted than independent school applicants. Secondly if grades were paramount then they would not do additional entrance exams or interviews. All the Sutton Trust research is available online for you to read if you wish.
Original post by Med_medine
Seriously OP if you are gonna ask a question, take on the opinion of others instead of trying to persuade yourself through rejecting other's constructive criticisms.

If anyone says anything not in favour of your application to Oxbridge you immedetialy tries to prove them wrong when they are not.

Good job lying to yourself now when you will be the one disappointed and hurt when you are rejected pre interview

Face it, your GCSEs are simply not up to standard for the average oxford offer holder. This is not saying you dont stand a chance at all but you gotta acknowlege that the odds are against you.

You sound like those who wine about universities being "biased" of whatever trait you have after receiving a reject

Oxford also looks at percentage A*s, the fact that you have 4As on top further puts you in a bad position

Face it, and 5 A levels are hardly impressive

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not trying to prove them wrong, I am simply arguing the other side of it. Ok sure maybe I should have had lets say 1-2 more A* at GCSE, but don't you think a high score on the LNAT would at least allow me to get an interview spot. Also how many A levels would you feel is impressive? They ask for 3As and I'm doing 5 A levels which hopefully I get the grades I want.
I might add that Law at Oxbridge attracts many of the cleverest students in the country. 5 x A* at GCSE is not even in the ball park.

That's actually not entirely accurate. Whilst many applicants will have more than 5A*s, some will have less.

A huge emphasis is placed on interview so if you bomb that, your 12A*s at GCSE and 4 A* predictions at A level won't do you any good. But if you seriously impress at interview, with a prediction of AAA at A level and 5 A* GCSEs, there's a good chance you're in. Depends on the individual candidate
I do not know why so many people absent any data are trying to argue black is white. Serious Oxbridge candidates present 7 or more GCSE at A* and 5 is distinctly below average. Is entry from that position impossible ? No of course not. But it certainly should not give rise to the over confident demeanour in the OP. Oxbridge is a big pond full of very bright fish.
I do not know why so many people absent any data are trying to argue black is white. Serious Oxbridge candidates present 7 or more GCSE at A* and 5 is distinctly below average. Is entry from that position impossible ? No of course not. But it certainly should not give rise to the over confident demeanour in the OP. Oxbridge is a big pond full of very bright fish.

I'm not over-confident by any means, I'm just trying to say that the GCSE grades may put me at a slight disadvantage but not a major blow as some of you say. I have accepted that they might be a bit below the average applicant but ok.
Your GCSEs are quite weak for Oxford and you don't have the excuse of coming from an awful school. This means that if you apply to a competitive college you'll be ruled out very quickly. However if you make an open application and have a stunning LNAT essay you might stand a chance of getting an interview.
If you get 93% ums average at a level you should apply to Cambridge and not give it a second thought.
If you get below 90% average then you should probably go for Oxford.
Definitely go for one of them just to have a go. It's definitely an experience worth having.

Quick Reply

Latest