The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
x

Giroud never gets injured. The guy is very durable... I think in the last three or four years he's missed one or two games with a flu or something ridiculous like that. I would bank on him being fit the entire season, so its merely a case of rotation policy.
DMF is a more pressing need at the moment anyway and hopefully Wenger knows that. Alexis was brought in as either cover for Giroud, or an upgrade, so you would expect us not to go for another center forward. It would probably mess up his plans for Alexis if he went for another CF because he is clearly going to get game time there.
I wouldn't really worry too much honestly. Chelsea's and Liverpool's front-line are miles off City's and aren't that far apart from ours. No one in the market to compete with City in that department but Sanchez was probably the best available option so I'm happy with the business done.
Original post by AR_95
People miss how much presence and threat he has offered. Not clinical enough yet but hopefully he will get there one day

Nah he's useless.

When you start getting gassed over a player like him, you know you got a problem up front...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1604
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
Nah he's useless.

When you start getting gassed over a player like him, you know you got a problem up front...

He's 21 lol no one said he has to be our main or back up striker right now I'm just saying he'll develop well in a few years
Nah he's useless.

And when you lose to a team with him up front, you know you got a problem back in defense :wink:
Nah he's useless.

Well he led the line when we knocked you out of the FA Cup

IN B4 you lost because of referee conspiracy against Liverpool....How many penalties did lfc get again?
Original post by AR_95
He's 21 lol no one said he has to be our main or back up striker right now I'm just saying he'll develop well in a few years

yeah fair enough, if you buy a striker or two i'd send him on loan though.
loans have been excellent for some of our young talent like suso and ibe for instance.

Original post by EmperorMustard
And when you lose to a team with him up front, you know you got a problem back in defense :wink:

haha nah, we have a problem in defence anyway :tongue:

Original post by sevchenko

IN B4 you lost because of referee conspiracy against Liverpool....How many penalties did lfc get again?

mate if he were any good it would have been worse.

over the season we got plenty of pens (some were lucky), most were deserved so don't try that angle.
in that specific FA cup match the ref was bad for both sides but denied us from at least sending it in to ET.

we wouldn't have won the cup anyway but it's frustrating to have a match against rivals with such poor officiating whether it's benefits us or not.
Reply 1608
Original post by sevchenko

Reply 1609

over the season we got plenty of pens (some were lucky), most were deserved so don't try that angle.
in that specific FA cup match the ref was bad for both sides but denied us from at least sending it in to ET.

we wouldn't have won the cup anyway but it's frustrating to have a match against rivals with such poor officiating whether it's benefits us or not.

Sticks and stones Gerrard should have been sent off before hand it would have been an easy cruise for us over a 10 man side
Original post by AR_95
Sticks and stones Gerrard should have been sent off before hand it would have been an easy cruise for us over a 10 man side

all ifs and buts man. you don't know if it would've been a cruise with 10 men. likewise we don't know if they would've scored that second penalty.
Original post by AR_95

you can't be certain 10 men would've been easy.
we dominated the game, we just weren't clinical and you were.
we may have carried on dominating, scored the obvious penalty and won on pens after ET

what i'm saying though - the refereeing was so poor that it kind of ruined the match completely.
allthough we lost to a good side, i'm so annoyed at the refereeing that i can't concede we deserved to lose that match (even if it were true).

i suppose the 5-1 made up for it though :cool:

inb4 arsenal beat liverpool twice:cry2:
inb4 injuries:cry2:
Reply 1612
Original post by Basiji
all ifs and buts man. you don't know if it would've been a cruise with 10 men. likewise we don't know if they would've scored that second penalty.

I'm just emphasising the point that Liverpool were not robbed, that's all.
Reply 1613
Original post by little_tom
Giroud never gets injured. The guy is very durable... I think in the last three or four years he's missed one or two games with a flu or something ridiculous like that. I would bank on him being fit the entire season, so its merely a case of rotation policy.

Injured maybe not but I remember around December/January time everyone was saying about how Giroud looked exhausted yet we were unable to rotate him because **** knows what happened to the dane. An alternative option would still benefit us and at least it would give him something to compete for.

DMF is a more pressing need at the moment anyway and hopefully Wenger knows that. Alexis was brought in as either cover for Giroud, or an upgrade, so you would expect us not to go for another center forward. It would probably mess up his plans for Alexis if he went for another CF because he is clearly going to get game time there.

No doubt DMF is a higher priority but there's no reason why we shouldn't be signing both. If Wenger wants to put Sanchez up front and it doesn't work out then he'll just end up falling back onto the wing and we'll have a lack of options yet again.

I wouldn't really worry too much honestly. Chelsea's and Liverpool's front-line are miles off City's and aren't that far apart from ours. No one in the market to compete with City in that department but Sanchez was probably the best available option so I'm happy with the business done.

With Liverpool's I can understand in terms of quality but their depth up front is still ahead of ours. Chelsea's is also something else when they have Costa/Lukaku feeding off Cesc and Hazard (both who I'd say are worth an extra 10 goals than Giroud).

Thing is we are so stacked in midfield that I don't see why it would hurt to just buy another backup option for rotation. Even if we don't get a 30+ goal striker, the likes of Mandzukic and Bony were/are decent options and I wouldn't really be fussed about Bony's valuation when in this day and age David Luiz can go for 50m
Getting frustrated with the lack of news on a new CDM. We need a CDM and CB cover more than anything else. Still, I don't think our team is good enough for the title regardless... because of our defensive frailties. Also seems to be a lack of top class strikers available on the market (Balotelli is not a top class striker, his attitude sets him down a level).
Reply 1615
Original post by Tom_Ford
Getting frustrated with the lack of news on a new CDM. We need a CDM and CB cover more than anything else. Still, I don't think our team is good enough for the title regardless... because of our defensive frailties. Also seems to be a lack of top class strikers available on the market (Balotelli is not a top class striker, his attitude sets him down a level).

We don't need a top class striker we need some one of similar calibre of Giroud as rotation and for 15m Ballotelli provides that if not more
Original post by AR_95
We don't need a top class striker we need some one of similar calibre of Giroud as rotation and for 15m Ballotelli provides that if not more

Tbh Sanchez can be converted into a top class number 9, I think he has the better potential than any signing we could make from now. But, whether he will perform centrally in the premier league is up in the air I think.

CDM is a much more pressing issue. We need to clone Gilberto imo and stick him back in front of the back four.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Tbh Sanchez can be converted into a top class number 9, I think he has the better potential than any signing we could make from now. But, whether he will perform centrally in the premier league is up in the air I think.

CDM is a much more pressing issue. We need to clone Gilberto imo and stick him back in front of the back four.

Probably needs to improve his finishing but he has the movement, link up and general cunning to play as a 9 I think.
Reply 1618
So AC Milan want campbell in exchange for Ballotelli

I'd do it lol Campbell is by far from irreplaceable
Original post by AR_95

you just need somebody who can literally put the ball in the net, that's all.

with your midfield i expect your creation to be ridiculous; if you can find a clinical finisher you'll be fine.
giroud is not that guy, balotelli actually could be.

Latest