The Student Room Group

A shocking experience with dentistry/medicine students!!

Scroll to see replies

Seeing as people here are meant to be future doctors, dentists and other professionals this thread is awfully petty

Posted from TSR Mobile
loooool this is funny
Original post by Thewildcat
Its not all about the money. Its the rewarding nature of medicine that money can't buy. Ur an idiot if u went into dentistry for the money, coz there isn't any. As a medical student I've already saved 2 peoples lives by resuscitating them. I saw them the next day talking to their family and that moment was probably the highlight of my life so far. How many lives have u saved?

lol hoping you aren't actually a real medical student
Original post by bertstare
lol hoping you aren't actually a real medical student

Obviously not, a medical STUDENT is not involved in saving lives rofl.
Original post by alevelzzz

Why not? Medical students are involved in the healthcare team, and may be the first on scene in resuscitation attempts, or involved in some way when someone gets sick. Even clerking in a sick patient in A&E, or putting in a cannula is being involved in saving someone's life. Hell, undertaking a GP consultation and starting someone on treatment as a student is being involved in this.

Rofl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mushi_master
Why not? Medical students are involved in the healthcare team, and may be the first on scene in resuscitation attempts, or involved in some way when someone gets sick. Even clerking in a sick patient in A&E, or putting in a cannula is being involved in saving someone's life. Hell, undertaking a GP consultation and starting someone on treatment as a student is being involved in this.

Rofl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well im obviously talking directly, if you want to talk about indirectly saving lives we can go on for days

Most senior medical students would be able to recite days when they've done chest compressions in an arrest, secured airways in unconscious patients (+/- breathed for them) or put in lines in people that need immediate resuscitation.

That's certainly a whole lot more than some kid who has probably never even seen a genuinely unwell person and is still wet behind the ears from A-levels can claim.

The whole process of medical care is a group effort, with lots of people contributing in varying ways and lengths. There is no one person who 'saves a life' in medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well im obviously talking directly, if you want to talk about indirectly saving lives we can go on for days

This covers directly saving lives too - an example from myself was I was on the wards, one of the patients our team was looking after got sick very quickly, so the nurse grabbed me. I was first on scene, assessed the patient, ordered the appropriate tests and got the seniors involved. On the same day, another student colleague was in radiology when a patient started having a heart attack, he did the same, initiated treatment and got the emergency team there.

This kinda thing does happen, and not that uncommonly. If you consider that indirect then fine, but whenever someone's life is 'saved' it's almost always a team effort, with a bunch of individuals involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair play although I gotta admit I seriously doubt Thewildcat is a genuine medical student.
Original post by Scott.M
Fair play although I gotta admit I seriously doubt Thewildcat is a genuine medical student.

Well that I don't know, although boasting about the 'lives you saved' and slagging off dentists for how many lives they saved in a day is hardly professional, let alone mature behaviour.

Just making a point to the other poster to not be quite so flippant about what medical students are capable of/involved with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol, im 100% sure oral surgery is more onerous than dermatology or radiology for example.

Hee hee... Oral.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Seeing as people here are meant to be future doctors, dentists and other professionals this thread is awfully petty

Posted from TSR Mobile

u wot m7+1
We're not all bad :frown:
Lol chemistry FTW

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've said this before and I'll say it again...

I honestly just think "good for them", not even in a sarcastic way. They'll work ****ty hours. Have to spend a ****load more time after their already long 5-6 year course to specialize. Continue to work ****ty hours and then finally hit comfortable 6-figures when middle aged (most medics are deluded in thinking they'll be rolling in it before hitting middle age) in one of two ways: 1. Becoming a surgeon in which case you must be the creme de la creme (which by definition, most people won't be) and be willing to be called in the middle of the night... or 2. Become a GP and sit in a room meeting miserable sick people all day. And dentists must sit in a room poking around teeth all day for similar pay, hours seem a lot nicer though.

I'm not even bashing here, I don't understand why being a doctor/dentist is seen as such a glamorous job, although it benefits the general public (which of course includes me) that it is seen that way.

If you think I'm just bitter...

Spoiler

Original post by TheGuyReturns

I honestly just think "good for them", not even in a sarcastic way. They'll work ****ty hours. Have to spend a ****load more time after their already long 5-6 year course to specialize. Continue to work ****ty hours and then finally hit comfortable 6-figures when middle aged (most medics are deluded in thinking they'll be rolling in it before hitting middle age) in one of two ways: 1. Becoming a surgeon in which case you must be the creme de la creme (which by definition, most people won't be) and be willing to be called in the middle of the night... or 2. Become a GP and sit in a room meeting miserable sick people all day. And dentists must sit in a room poking around teeth all day for similar pay, hours seem a lot nicer though.

I'm not even bashing here, I don't understand why being a doctor/dentist is seen as such a glamorous job, although it benefits the general public (which of course includes me) that it is seen that way.

Spoiler

Its seen as glamorous because of how difficult it is to get into medicine/dentistry, and the GUARANTEE of high salary/status.
Its seen as glamorous because of how difficult it is to get into medicine/dentistry, and the GUARANTEE of high salary/status.

That's very subjective... and I'd argue that in London it's an outright lie.
Original post by sbj
If you meet those kind of students, just tell them you study maths. It works perfect. Because they are below Mathematicians/Physicist by far and they know it.

The number of hissy fit replies this comment has received...

...egos made of glass.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
That's very subjective... and I'd argue that in London it's an outright lie.

I agree, no point being a doctor or dentist in london unless you work privately.
I will say that outside of london, there are very few jobs that pays more than medicine or dentistry though.

Spoiler

Sorry, no offence but you come across as the starry-eyed college kid who thinks they have it all planned out and will be earning a 6-figure salary, and consequentially you feel you have earned the right to sneer at medics and dentists for being idiots to spend longer than you training just to do grubby jobs for less pay.

However if it was as easy as you think it is to earn that in your chosen field, your chosen degree course would be extremely competitive to get onto as everybody would want to earn that money. The more likely case is that the jobs that pay the 6-figure salary of which you speak are extremely tough to get due to fierce competition, and therefore you better hope you make it to Oxbridge.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest