The Student Room Group

Which uni should I apply to?

Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and looking at which unis to apply to. I want to do a primary education with qts undergraduate degree but don't know where to apply to. I know I don't want to stay in london, or go to Scotland, Ireland or Wales.
At the moment I am thinking of:
Oxford brookes
Manchester metropolitan
Sheffield Hallam
Canterbury Christ church
York st john
Derby
Winchester
Durham ( though I live in london, so I don't know if this is too far)

What do people think of these unis. I am use to a big city , so don't know if any of these unis are situated somewhere where I would be bored! Alternatively if anyone has any other unis that they could recommend I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of city/town size, Manchester and Sheffield are big cities. Oxford isn't quite as big, but you won't get bored. On the other hand, Canterbury and Winchester and incredibly small towns and you may find that you would get bored there. The best way to decide whether you would enjoy a university is to visit it. Finally, Durham is also a small town - it's basically the university and a couple of shops, but Newcastle is 20 minutes away by bus, so you get the Newcastle nightlife whilst living in a really pretty town.
I don't really know about York St John or Derby, apart from that I know someone who did primary ed at York St John and loved it.
In terms of reputation, I think Durham wins hands down.

Other universities you could look at for primary education with qts would be Birmingham City, Bishop Grosseteste, Bradford, Brighton, Chester, Chichester, Cumbria, Edge Hill, Leeds Trinity, Newman (in Birmingham) and Northampton. Just look at all the courses available and pick out the ones you think you would enjoy the most.

Remember that when you pick the 5 unis you apply to, you want a mixture of ambitious (a more competitive course), match (ie you are likely to get an offer and meet it) and safety (it would be really unusual for you not to get an offer, and the offer would be below your predicted grades) choices.
Reply 2
Original post by flopsybunnybell
In terms of city/town size, Manchester and Sheffield are big cities. Oxford isn't quite as big, but you won't get bored. On the other hand, Canterbury and Winchester and incredibly small towns and you may find that you would get bored there. The best way to decide whether you would enjoy a university is to visit it. Finally, Durham is also a small town - it's basically the university and a couple of shops, but Newcastle is 20 minutes away by bus, so you get the Newcastle nightlife whilst living in a really pretty town.
I don't really know about York St John or Derby, apart from that I know someone who did primary ed at York St John and loved it.

Other universities you could look at for primary education with qts would be Birmingham City, Bishop Grosseteste, Bradford, Brighton, Chester, Chichester, Cumbria, Edge Hill, Leeds Trinity, Newman (in Birmingham) and Northampton. Just look at all the courses available and pick out the ones you think you would enjoy the most.

Remember that when you pick the 5 unis you apply to, you want a mixture of ambitious (a more competitive course), match (ie you are likely to get an offer and meet it) and safety (it would be really unusual for you not to get an offer, and the offer would be below your predicted grades) choices.

Thanks. The Durham campus I would be at is queens campus which is in Stockton. Is this the campus you were talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
Thanks. The Durham campus I would be at is queens campus which is in Stockton. Is this the campus you were talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm afraid I was talking about Durham City, I don't know about Queen's Campus. Sorry!
Original post by flopsybunnybell

Although this is the standard rule it doesn't work for everyone - some people would rather take a gap year than go to a uni they don't want to. In my opinion, unless going to uni in 2015 is essential to you - only apply to unis that you REALLY like - otherwise you could end up unhappy for three years.
Reply 5
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Although this is the standard rule it doesn't work for everyone - some people would rather take a gap year than go to a uni they don't want to. In my opinion, unless going to uni in 2015 is essential to you - only apply to unis that you REALLY like - otherwise you could end up unhappy for three years.

Thanks, I really don't want to take a gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know if anyone's addressed this yet (I cbf to check the entire thread!), but I can tell you a bit about Winchester as a city seeing as I've lived there for the last four years (I'm a sixth form student!).

The general population of Winchester is middle class families, young professionals etc. That's not to say that there isn't a good student population; there's both Winchester uni and Southampton School of Art in the city so there is a good student presence. It's just not like St. Andrews or Chichester or something where there is nothing but students! The city is beautiful. Very leafy, green, lots of trees. The cathedral is gorgeous as are the greens surrounding it. The city is also steeped in history and is very important as far as the history of England, so if you're looking for a historic city in the south that isn't Oxbridge, Winchester is a good bet. As far as shopping goes, Winchester hasn't got the greatest high street. There's a few high street stores but mostly higher end chain stores like L.K. Bennett and Hobbs. However, Southampton is 20 mins away by train (it's about £5ish) and has everything you could possibly want at West Quay. Nightlife is a bit lacking. There's one club, Vodka, which is pretty small and cramped but relatively cheap and fun if you're with your friends. The union throws quite a lot of stuff like Detention night on a weekly basis which I think are pretty popular. However, if you want a varied nightlife, Winchester isn't for you. Southampton has a pretty good night life but it gets a bit awkward/expensive taking public transport every time you want to go out. Housing does not come cheap here. It's a nice city in the commuter belt, so rates are high. However, coming from London, it will probably seem relatively low to you! I honestly don't know a lot about the university itself other than that it's a pretty nice campus, but not a particularly prestigious uni.

Personally, I don't think Winchester gives that great a student experience if that's what you're looking for, mostly because the city is less student-centred than many small cities and there isn't a whole lot to do in the city itself!

(ps, my sister went to Chichester and did Sports Coaching and PE which was education based and really enjoyed her time there!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Durham is a bit of the odd one out there. All the other unis on the list are pretty average and cool places in nice cities, but then Durham is a great university. Very hard to get into!

Don't worry about moving away, there will be so many other people in that boat! And go to open days, you won't be able to decide just from advice on the internet! I thought York sounded awful until I went there and fell in love.
Reply 8
Thanks very much! I'm veering more towards a city uni seen as I can get bored very easily in London! Just deciding where to apply now....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jams97
Thanks very much! I'm veering more towards a city uni seen as I can get bored very easily in London! Just deciding where to apply now....

Good luck mate!

Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are always good bets to look at!
Reply 10
Original post by CheGuava
Good luck mate!

Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are always good bets to look at!

Thanks, haven't thought of Birmingham, what's the area like? Also I think it's Birmingham City uni, any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
Thanks, haven't thought of Birmingham, what's the area like? Also I think it's Birmingham City uni, any good?

Birmingham has drastically improved over the last twenty years. It's actually a cool and modern place to be these days with plenty of things to do. Good connections to the rest of the country, plenty of museums if you're into that, great nightlife if you like that. Food capital of Britain, tons of restaurants and street food for every budget. Pretty gay friendly too.

Birmingham City is an alright uni! Good range of courses, decent academic reputation, and in Birmingham city centre, never have to go too far to find something. Pretty close to SnowHill and New Street stations. Lots of students too.

There's also Uni of Birmingham (High End) and Aston Uni (High-Mid End) which are also cool unis in similar areas.
Reply 12
Birmingham has drastically improved over the last twenty years. It's actually a cool and modern place to be these days with plenty of things to do. Good connections to the rest of the country, plenty of museums if you're into that, great nightlife if you like that. Food capital of Britain, tons of restaurants and street food for every budget. Pretty gay friendly too.

Birmingham City is an alright uni! Good range of courses, decent academic reputation, and in Birmingham city centre, never have to go too far to find something. Pretty close to SnowHill and New Street stations. Lots of students too.

There's also Uni of Birmingham (High End) and Aston Uni (High-Mid End) which are also cool unis in similar areas.

Cool, thanks! When I ask people about Birmingham, generally they seem to turn their nose up- I don't understand why!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
Cool, thanks! When I ask people about Birmingham, generally they seem to turn their nose up- I don't understand why!

Twenty years ago, it was a bad place to be. Not just bad, but a bit dangerous and run down aswell. People's parents remember it, and tell their kids the same thing, and it gets perpetuated because people are too scared to come. Liverpool got a similar rep.

It really isn't like that. Glad I could help!
Reply 14
Twenty years ago, it was a bad place to be. Not just bad, but a bit dangerous and run down aswell. People's parents remember it, and tell their kids the same thing, and it gets perpetuated because people are too scared to come. Liverpool got a similar rep.

It really isn't like that. Glad I could help!

Thank! Tbh I live in london, some would say certain areas are as rough as anything so I don't think I will be too put off by it- another one to consider I guess :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending