The Student Room Group

My first car...

Basically, I'm getting my first car. I've driven before but only as a named driver on my mum's Peugeot 206. Now, though, I'm a working man and I need to be getting to and from work each day.

I've got a fair bit to spend, and I want to buy a new car rather than a second-hand one. I want a hatchback...and I've always liked a Mini. But, what other hatchback cars are good/considered cool? I literally know nothing about cars. I've heard the Golf and Clio are reliable.

Let me know. Cheers.
How much is 'a fair bit', if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mattcam94
How much is 'a fair bit', if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be paying for it monthly, not just buying it outright.
Ah right cool, I'd probably be suggest new shape Ford Fiesta ST, if it's viable insurance wise. Or like you said, Renault Clios are good cars I think so, but with French cars in past been problems with reliability, which I've experienced with my Clio. Might not be an issue though on newer cars as mine is 8 years old

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a Mini Cooper for my 17th birthday and I loved it. I'd deffo recommend!! Get the cooper not the first or one as they have much smaller engines. I've recently just got a new car (an early 21st birthday present) it's the Dacia Sandeep ambiance and it's great!! I don't know how much it was but I know you can get the cheapest model for £69 per month! Although if I were you is just buy the car outright and not pay monthly as you pay more due to interest and have a deposit and a balloon payment at the end which will be a couple of grand otherwise you have to give the car back! I got the mini and the Dacia both brand new and I do have to admit the mini is best!! However there's no room for people In the back if you are tall. I'm 5'9 and people couldn't sit behind me as my legs are really long! But if it's just for you and the casual friend it's the best car to get. :smile: plus it's fairly good for fuel too! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sandero**** not Sandeep!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Suzuki Swift and Toyota Yaris are quite good

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got a Toyota Yaris, 15 years old and never had a problem with it. Toyota are known for very reliable cars and the Yaris is cheap to insure!
Original post by Mackay
Basically, I'm getting my first car. I've driven before but only as a named driver on my mum's Peugeot 206. Now, though, I'm a working man and I need to be getting to and from work each day.

I've got a fair bit to spend, and I want to buy a new car rather than a second-hand one. I want a hatchback...and I've always liked a Mini. But, what other hatchback cars are good/considered cool? I literally know nothing about cars. I've heard the Golf and Clio are reliable.

Let me know. Cheers.

If insurance and the price isn't an issue, you should try the Peugeot 208 GTI. If you want an outright fun and fast car then you should get either a VW Golf GTI, Renault Megane RS or a Toyota GT86. The Fiesta ST is a nice car but I found it to be too firm as an everyday car and didn't quite like the styling.
Original post by Alfissti
If insurance and the price isn't an issue, you should try the Peugeot 208 GTI. If you want an outright fun and fast car then you should get either a VW Golf GTI, Renault Megane RS or a Toyota GT86. The Fiesta ST is a nice car but I found it to be too firm as an everyday car and didn't quite like the styling.

He asked for a 'cool' hatchback, not a hot hatch.

OP. Apart from the Mini, there really aren't that many. If your budget stretches to a used A1, that would be an option (or maybe lease it? It's all I ever do). Or even a used current-generation Merc A-Class.
Original post by Alfissti

Those are pretty amazing. Id love one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending