The Student Room Group

Retake GCSE's?

Hi everyone :smile:,

I have a dilemma I didn't received the best grades in school I got F in Maths and E in English, maths is my real weak point.

So I'm in an apprenticeship completing an NVQ Level 2 In Business and Administration alongside with Functional Skills English Level 2 and Functional Skills Level 1.

I plan on going to college after I finish my apprenticeship but I have F in maths and E in English so I was wondering what course should i go for? I'm really interested in computers and building computers I also want to go to university I'm 17 years old

Here are the courses I have applied for.

Please note these are different colleges.

•BTEC Level 3 Business Extended - Conditional - I need FS English L2 or Maths L2

•BTEC Level 2 Diploma –Programming and Web Design conditional I need FS L1 in maths and FS L1 in English although they said if I don’t receive my L1 functional skills they will more than likely accept me and will do FS Level 2 at their college.

I also applied for GCSE Level 2 English and GCSE Level 2 Maths
So what do you think guys? Should I go with the GCSE English and Maths retake including lessons at college they are 1 year or the BTEC courses?

Thank you so much !
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SolidMagdi

I have a dilemma I didn't received the best grades in school I got F in Maths and E in English, maths is my real weak point.

So I'm in an apprenticeship completing an NVQ Level 2 In Business and Administration alongside with Functional Skills English Level 2 and Functional Skills Level 1.

I plan on going to college after I finish my apprenticeship but I have F in maths and E in English so I was wondering what course should i go for? I'm really interested in computers and building computers I also want to go to university I'm 17 years old

•BTEC Level 3 Business Extended - Conditional - I need FS English L2 or Maths L2

•BTEC Level 2 Diploma –Programming and Web Design conditional I need FS L1 in maths and FS L1 in English although they said if I don’t receive my L1 functional skills they will more than likely accept me and will do FS Level 2 at their college.

So what do you think guys? Should I go with the GCSE English and Maths retake including lessons at college they are 1 year or the BTEC courses?

Thank you so much !

Hi,

Personally, if it was me, I would probably go with the GCSE in both English and Maths - and I personally find that they are definitely a good grounding point of doing Maths or English. To be honest though, it would be most useful if you had a look at the Syllabiuses(ae?) for a start so that you can see which would be better suited to you. You can also do the modules in GCSE and take exams as you please at the exam sessions so that may be something to consider...

Personally, I would do GCSE, but ultimately the decision is up to you - if you want any more help please let me know!
Reply 2
Original post by mobbsy91
Hi,

Personally, if it was me, I would probably go with the GCSE in both English and Maths - and I personally find that they are definitely a good grounding point of doing Maths or English. To be honest though, it would be most useful if you had a look at the Syllabiuses(ae?) for a start so that you can see which would be better suited to you. You can also do the modules in GCSE and take exams as you please at the exam sessions so that may be something to consider...

Personally, I would do GCSE, but ultimately the decision is up to you - if you want any more help please let me know!

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

So you think I should go with the GCSE English and Maths courses instead of the BTEC Courses that do functional skills? :biggrin:?
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

So you think I should go with the GCSE English and Maths courses instead of the BTEC Courses that do functional skills? :biggrin:?

Personally, yes I would, but as I said, it's different for everyone. Once you've seen the syllabuses, think about which courses you would prefer as well, as if you preferred BTEC, you will no doubt work harder at it, and vice versa :biggrin:

I hope this helps

Thank you so much !

If i were you i would seriously retake my maths and English as at the end of the day this is what people(employers etc) look for. Also when applying to uni you will not be disadvantaged because of doing something else rather than retaking.

Remember that "practice always makes perfect" so you have to try and become perfect in whatever you are going to do whether its retaking or something else.

The ultimate decision is yours-Good luck:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by German123
If i were you i would seriously retake my maths and English as at the end of the day this is what people(employers etc) look for. Also when applying to uni you will not be disadvantaged because of doing something else rather than retaking.

Remember that "practice always makes perfect" so you have to try and become perfect in whatever you are going to do whether its retaking or something else.

The ultimate decision is yours-Good luck:biggrin:

Thank you for your reply,

Yeah I want to retake my GCSE English and Maths they are dedicated 1 year courses but im worried i will be too old to do a BTEC course after i finished my GCSE English and Maths because i will be 18?

What do you think?

Many thanks
Thank you for your reply,

Yeah I want to retake my GCSE English and Maths they are dedicated 1 year courses but im worried i will be too old to do a BTEC course after i finished my GCSE English and Maths because i will be 18?

What do you think?

Many thanks

Can you not do both(retaking and doing the Btec course)?
Reply 7
Can you not do both(retaking and doing the Btec course)?

Oh yeah I can do the BTEC course and do functional skills level 2 but no GCSE English and Maths
Oh yeah I can do the BTEC course and do functional skills level 2 but no GCSE English and Maths

well some people nowdays dont regard the level1 and 22 qualifications as such and thus prefer you to have the proper qualification which are GCSES so i suggest you retale maths and eng. The ultimate options is yours-good luck:smile:
Reply 9
well some people nowdays dont regard the level1 and 22 qualifications as such and thus prefer you to have the proper qualification which are GCSES so i suggest you retale maths and eng. The ultimate options is yours-good luck:smile:

Thanks I'm just worried i might fail again
:cry:

I know how you fell as my GCSE results day is not long from now and i am sacred of failling too but know that practice makes pefect.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

hi you should go for functional skills maths and English because I'm studying IT computing and information technology for 2years and I didn't pass my English and maths i got grade 1 for maths and grade2 for English and because I'm 19 I can choose which subject I want to choose so I can choose gsce again or functional skills so I'm going to do functional skills I have got functional skills level1 English and maths entry 3 so I will be moving onto level 2 English and maths level 1 so I say you should go for functional skills so they will still accecpt you onto university and even an good job because functional skills is equivalent to gsce so you will be okay don't worry and good luck

Quick Reply

Latest