The Student Room Group

Why does HR make the final decision in hiring someone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You are not listening because you are posing the same questions over and over.

So what? That doesn't prove anything.

Anyways, if it is really offending you - then I do apologize.
Reply 61
Original post by littlelm
Please don't panic about this! It is common for HR to be involved in the process and this sometimes takes a little time, especially if its a large company. Often the recruitment process happens without HR being too involved, so once the department has let them know that they have found someone, they then need to cover their internal processes and sort out paperwork. Try not to over analyse the situation. I hope you hear back soon- please let us know when you get the news! Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

I'm just curious, what sort of steps do you HR people take after the final interview?

I heard there is the admin/finance element involved. What does that entail exactly?
Reply 62
Yeah, I have been given a job offer, but it is not for 12 months.

Apparently they can't finance me to work for 12 months, however, they have some budget to fund me for about 2 months. They may after the two months be able to take me on permanently.

I want to work at the corporation for a year, but at the moment I may have been given the job - but not for the timescale I am after.

Should I take the job anyways? What are the chances of them extending my contract?
Original post by po10tial
Are you serious?

They have been interviewing for a role that was never created or existed in the first place?

Speculative recruiting, plenty of places do it.
Reply 64
Original post by SloaneRanger
Speculative recruiting, plenty of places do it.

Yeah, they ended up giving me the job but its for 2 months, not 12!

They say its due to funding, but I am not sure why. Is it like a cover up
Yeah, they ended up giving me the job but its for 2 months, not 12!

They say its due to funding, but I am not sure why. Is it like a cover up

This sounds like a start up company, no way a corporate company treats someone in this during the recruitment process. Be careful, because to many jobs in a short space of time on a CV is bad, it shows that you can't hold a steady job. Leading many people to question in the future why should they invest time and money into someone that is unable to commit.
Reply 66
Policy
Reply 67
This sounds like a start up company, no way a corporate company treats someone in this during the recruitment process. Be careful, because to many jobs in a short space of time on a CV is bad, it shows that you can't hold a steady job. Leading many people to question in the future why should they invest time and money into someone that is unable to commit.

It is a large company (refuse to name).

But its not my fault that I can't be kept on this job permanently.

Do you think its like a probation period, like they want to hire short term and then if I'm good then keep me on for longer
It is a large company (refuse to name).

But its not my fault that I can't be kept on this job permanently.

Do you think its like a probation period, like they want to hire short term and then if I'm good then keep me on for longer

I wouldn't take the risk, if your just starting out. People like to make assumptions, like especially with grads (can't hack the pressure/unable to meet targets)..... If you don't pass probation it looks bad and there is no guarantees they would want you longer then 2months.
I would definitely take a job for two months if the alternative was no job. Temp jobs can be extended but, even if it isn't, you will gain experience and will have stuff to talk about in future interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it's not a cover up! The company just isn't sure whether it needs the role, that's all, so it has the funding to try it out for a couple of months. If the business feels that the role is worth continuing with, then it may be able to get more money to fund the role for longer. But until the role has been tested for a while, the business won't know whether it wants the role longer term. None of the above has any relevance to you personally, it is pure business need, though if you make a success of the role the company might be more willing to look favourably on confirming the role in the future structure.
In most organisations the HR department is absolutely useless because they do not carry any responsibility at all for the front line performance of the candidate. They spend all their time imposing controls/ processes / limits on the front line management who know what they are doing to big themselves up. Most secretarial grade women with a few evening classes can qualify as "HR" professionals, and thereafter can be grossly overpaid for doing very little. Incidentally the Armed Forces manage huge numbers with no HR departments at all.
Reply 72
Original post by DarkMagic
I would definitely take a job for two months if the alternative was no job. Temp jobs can be extended but, even if it isn't, you will gain experience and will have stuff to talk about in future interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wanted the job for a year.

Now even if I do take the job, then I still have to go back to uni! I want a placement year, not a summer intern...

They are saying funding is the issue, but I'm not sure
Reply 73
Original post by Old_Simon
In most organisations the HR department is absolutely useless because they do not carry any responsibility at all for the front line performance of the candidate. They spend all their time imposing controls/ processes / limits on the front line management who know what they are doing to big themselves up. Most secretarial grade women with a few evening classes can qualify as "HR" professionals, and thereafter can be grossly overpaid for doing very little. Incidentally the Armed Forces manage huge numbers with no HR departments at all.

Agreed. Why advertise a role for a year when you can't even ****ing fund it?!

It really pissed me off and now I don't even know what to do
Reply 74
Original post by Crumpet1
No it's not a cover up! The company just isn't sure whether it needs the role, that's all, so it has the funding to try it out for a couple of months. If the business feels that the role is worth continuing with, then it may be able to get more money to fund the role for longer. But until the role has been tested for a while, the business won't know whether it wants the role longer term. None of the above has any relevance to you personally, it is pure business need, though if you make a success of the role the company might be more willing to look favourably on confirming the role in the future structure.

Ok. Thanks for that
Reply 75
What are the chances that my contract will be extended after 2 months? They say its a funding issue for the whole year. I want to work for a year and don't mind taking a little paycut. What can I do?
Reply 76
I wouldn't take the risk, if your just starting out. People like to make assumptions, like especially with grads (can't hack the pressure/unable to meet targets)..... If you don't pass probation it looks bad and there is no guarantees they would want you longer then 2months.

Yeah I'm still a student with a year of studies left.

Ideally I want to take a year and then return to uni.

This job was advertised for 12 months but due to funding issues they can only fund me for 2-3 months.

I really want a 12 month contract and don't mind taking a little pay cut.

What should I do?
Yeah I'm still a student with a year of studies left.

Ideally I want to take a year and then return to uni.

This job was advertised for 12 months but due to funding issues they can only fund me for 2-3 months.

I really want a 12 month contract and don't mind taking a little pay cut.

What should I do?

As a student take it, your uni time accounts what your doing. Therefore no gaps in education and employment.
Reply 78
As a student take it, your uni time accounts what your doing. Therefore no gaps in education and employment.

Yeah I can take a year out to work.

I wanted the full year but can only be given 2-3 months.

I think its like a trial period, but most people are telling me to take it anyway.

I want to take it, but I would rather take it knowing that it was for a full year
Yeah I can take a year out to work.

I wanted the full year but can only be given 2-3 months.

I think its like a trial period, but most people are telling me to take it anyway.

I want to take it, but I would rather take it knowing that it was for a full year

Then take it and look elsewhere at the same time incase they don't keep you on for the 12 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending