The Student Room Group

If I get good Alevel grades do I stand a chance?

I really want to study geography or biological sciences at Durham University. I'm not sure if I stand any real chance of getting in though as I've just completed my GCSE's and should get 1A*, 5 A's, 3 B's and a C.

I'm planning to take Geography, Biology and Chemistry for Alevel with English Literature at AS as well as EPQ.

I have also completed my bronze and silver DofE, a junior sports leader qualification and several ASDAN qualifications.
Hello!
I am in a similar situation to you :smile:
I want to go to Durham to study Geology :smile:
I think I will get around 1 A*, 6 A's, 1 B and 3 C's so they are not that great!
I have done DofE Bronze and sports leaders.
I compete in tennis and badminton and im doing the EPQ :P
Ive heard that they dont really look at GCSE Grades unless you are applying for medicine etc :P
You have got good grades so im sure you will do well! :biggrin:
You do stand a chance, but you need to get pretty outstanding AS results in order to compensate for those GCSE results. It's not true that they don't look at GCSE results. They're not as important as AS results, but they are definitely still used.
Original post by Chlorophile
You do stand a chance, but you need to get pretty outstanding AS results in order to compensate for those GCSE results. It's not true that they don't look at GCSE results. They're not as important as AS results, but they are definitely still used.

What grades do you mean when you say 'outstanding'?
Their results are very good!
Original post by Marcusroye98

Their results are very good when compared to the national average, however, they are below the Durham GCSE average. Getting straight A grades at AS with predictions of a couple of A*s at A2 would make up for these grades, but there's still no guarantee. Durham are notorious for their focus on GCSE grades (although less so for Geology/Geography) as it is, in general, a very competitive university.
Original post by perflous
Their results are very good when compared to the national average, however, they are below the Durham GCSE average. Getting straight A grades at AS with predictions of a couple of A*s at A2 would make up for these grades, but there's still no guarantee. Durham are notorious for their focus on GCSE grades (although less so for Geology/Geography) as it is, in general, a very competitive university.

Oh, Thank-you.
I think I should consider a different university. I think I will achieve around 1 A* , 6-7 A's, 1-3 B's and two C's ( which are in further maths and english literature, i might get a C in spanish but hoping for a B)
Reply 6
Oh, Thank-you.
I think I should consider a different university. I think I will achieve around 1 A* , 6-7 A's, 1-3 B's and two C's ( which are in further maths and english literature, i might get a C in spanish but hoping for a B)

Original post by amelimoo
I really want to study geography or biological sciences at Durham University. I'm not sure if I stand any real chance of getting in though as I've just completed my GCSE's and should get 1A*, 5 A's, 3 B's and a C.

I'm planning to take Geography, Biology and Chemistry for Alevel with English Literature at AS as well as EPQ.

I have also completed my bronze and silver DofE, a junior sports leader qualification and several ASDAN qualifications.

See what happens when you have your AS results, and if you know you can meet their typical offer. In the end, you can apply to five choices so there's no harm taking a risk on the one you really want as long as you're sensible with the rest.

Durham is very competitive. 1A* and 6As are good grades, but they are almost certainly going to be below average for a typical Durham applicant. By outstanding, I mean AAAA at AS preferably. Their standard offer for Geography is A*AA at A2 - you need excellent AS results anyway for that.
Original post by Chlorophile
Durham is very competitive. 1A* and 6As are good grades, but they are almost certainly going to be below average for a typical Durham applicant. By outstanding, I mean AAAA at AS preferably. Their standard offer for Geography is A*AA at A2 - you need excellent AS results anyway for that.

Thank-you for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest