The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

When you don't find out about real salted butter til you're 23 because it's ridiculously expensive :indiff:

That's the only one that bugs me, the rest I've forgotten about :smug:
Original post by DeceitfulDove
When you don't find out about real salted butter til you're 23 because it's ridiculously expensive :indiff:

That's the only one that bugs me, the rest I've forgotten about :smug:

I didn't know it was that much more expensive? Though I've never bought butter myself :tongue: so wouldn't know
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Hahaha :tongue: I think we're probably richer than a lot of people, I mean I've always had ridiculously extravagant gifts and never gone without. But like I said, it seems normal. That's not to say I'm not appreciative though.

Define.
Family's never had a car; never been on a plane before; never had friends come round; hand-me-down clothing; duvets on the floor instead of real beds; no mobile phone; crummy neighbourhood.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
Family's never had a car; never been on a plane before; never had friends come round; hand-me-down clothing; duvets instead of real beds; no mobile phone; crummy neighbourhood.

I suppose I'm lucky that my sister and I always had a bed to sleep on, my mum slept on the sofa for some time though until she could get herself a bed.
Hope things are looking up for you. :smile:
Original post by SophieSmall
For me there were a few things that made it plainly obvious we were struggling financially top ones would probably be.

- When my mum had to work Christmas eve and Christmas day when we were kids because she couldn't afford not to take the shifts.

-When my packed lunches were bread and butter (before they started offering us free school lunches).

-Most of my clothes were second hand or hand me downs, own clothes days at school were just a recipe for bullying.

-When a pack of biscuits or crisps was a major treat

- the look of confusion and pity on friends faces when they asked me what I got for Christmas or birthdays, that one was probably one the worst.

-hearing my mum cry at night on the phone about money, that's when I realised mainly and stopped asking for things.

-never using the heating

Despite all that I had a great childhood my mum always took great care of us and despite being poor we hardly ever felt it as children.

lol at those 2. Those childhood memories :redface:. Ye I knew right from the start we were poor when I saw the other kids in reception talking about stuff their parents got them and when I asked my parents they were always iffy about it. I did just stop asking for stuff unless it was something I really wanted/needed. I went through a lot of birthdays just telling them not to get me anything. e.g. everyone started getting phones and I just never asked for one (apart from briefly in 6th form) because I thought they were a bit pointless. I'm only planning on getting one now when I start university because I'll actually need it lol. Children don't really need phones though.

And looking out the window now I can see my neighbour's kids have just ****loads of balls and toys. I was never bought a ball lmao. I just found them on my adventures and brought them home. And I made my own toys out of wood and cardboard n stuff. I made a wooden shield with a chicken painted on the front. And bows and arrows. The bow ended up breaking though because I left it outside too often and it got brittle.

It was worse before I was born though. my older sister remembers when my parents didn't have any furniture and there was one TV in the house that they picked up and took to the bedroom at night and moved down to the living room in the morning lmfao. And it's funny because my mum came from a rich family but she moved to England and was poor with my dad haha. She always jokes about it. cus they were legit POOR before I was born.
However my parents are quite well off now. My dad always goes on about how much money he has haha. Rags to riches.
(edited 9 years ago)
At Christmas my parents would easily spend over £600 on me, one year I got an XBOX 360 with a kinect, several games, a designer bag, as well as countless other presents. They had to put them in 2 rooms because they wouldn't fit in 1. I got paid £100 per GCSE I got and would regularly get expensive perfumes and makeup bought for me.

Wow I feel like an ******* typing that
I suppose I'm lucky that my sister and I always had a bed to sleep on, my mum slept on the sofa for some time though until she could get herself a bed.
Hope things are looking up for you. :smile:

'Preciate it.

Spoiler

Original post by ChickenMadness
lol at those 2. Those childhood memories :redface:. Ye I knew right from the start we were poor when I saw the other kids in reception talking about stuff their parents got them and when I asked my parents they were always iffy about it. I did just stop asking for stuff unless it was something I really wanted/needed. I went through a lot of birthdays just telling them not to get me anything. e.g. everyone started getting phones and I just never asked for one (apart from briefly in 6th form) because I thought they were a bit pointless. I'm only planning on getting one now when I start university because I'll actually need it lol. Children don't really need phones though.

And looking out the window now I can see my neighbours kids have just ****loads of balls and toys. I was never bought a ball lmao. I just found them on my adventures and brought them home. And I made my own toys out of wood and cardboard n stuff. I made a wooden shield with a chicken painted on the front. And bows and arrows. The bow ended up breaking though because I left it outside too often and it got brittle.

It was worse before I was born though. my older sister remembers when my parents didn't have any furniture and there was one TV in the house that they picked up and took to the bedroom at night and moved down to the living room in the morning lmfao.

However my parents are quite well off now. My dad always goes on about how much money he has haha. Rags to riches.

Aye children really don't need phones, it really confuses the hell out of me when I see a 7 year old with iphone. It's just like....why?

Also that shield you made sounds awesome :tongue:

It sounds like your family was a bit worse off than mine before you were born, I've never asked my older siblings what their childhood was like but I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar to what you described.

Glad to hear your better off now. :smile:
'Preciate it.

Spoiler

They are pretty darn comfy :3
I don't mind at all how much money anyone has, my ex was quite well off but it's when they're arsey about it and spoilt that's what annoys me. Just seems distasteful, I don't think my boyfriend ever even thought about the value of money until he realised how shocked I was he was wearing jeans worth £300 and I bought my clothes off eBay. I think the look on both of our faces was probably priceless :lol:

Yeah I really don't understand why it's "uncool" to speak properly.

Yeah I'm the same. I really don't care, I just care if you're mean about it. I don't get why people are nasty about money or lack of - it doesn't define a person
They are pretty darn comfy :3

Yup ^^ And because there isn't any wood in the room there's never bed-bugs :biggrin:
At Christmas my parents would easily spend over £600 on me, one year I got an XBOX 360 with a kinect, several games, a designer bag, as well as countless other presents. They had to put them in 2 rooms because they wouldn't fit in 1. I got paid £100 per GCSE I got and would regularly get expensive perfumes and makeup bought for me.

Naw don't feel bad about it! It's not your fault :tongue: I'm glad you had good gifts growing up and you seem to appreciate it and that's what matters :smile:
Yeah I'm the same. I really don't care, I just care if you're mean about it. I don't get why people are nasty about money or lack of - it doesn't define a person

True, I just dislike nasty people in general.
Yup ^^ And because there isn't any wood in the room there's never bed-bugs :biggrin:

Is that why there are bed bugs? :eek: had no idea it was to do with wood
Naw don't feel bad about it! It's not your fault :tongue: I'm glad you had good gifts growing up and you seem to appreciate it and that's what matters :smile:

Yeah I'm really thankful to my parents. They did really well and provided me with a lovely life :smile: I try to give to charities to redistribute some of it, I think it's unfair some people go without

True, I just dislike nasty people in general.

Same. Idc what class/sex/race you are, don't be a dick

You shouldn't feel like that. I grew up with nothing, and I think most people that have nothing or very little strive to provide a life like you had for their children. You are appreciative and that's the main thing :smile: x
Yeah I'm really thankful to my parents. They did really well and provided me with a lovely life :smile: I try to give to charities to redistribute some of it, I think it's unfair some people go without

Same. Idc what class/sex/race you are, don't be a dick

I'm glad to hear you're such a lovely person :tongue: and aha my mum always made a point to tell me life isn't fair when I was growing up :lol:
Is that why there are bed bugs? :eek: had no idea it was to do with wood

I think that's where they live

I might be completely wrong about that, though :colondollar:
I think that's where they live

I might be completely wrong about that, though

Ugh horrible things though, hate creepy crawlies in the house. I got woken up yesterday morning with a MASSIVE spider plonked on my boob I freaked the **** out. Haven't spent any time in my room since.

Quick Reply

Latest