The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

My moment that I realised my life had changed around (going from well off to having nothing), when my **** of a dad caused our house to become repossessed and my mum told me we had nowhere proper to live and would cry to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ldsbabe
You shouldn't feel like that. I grew up with nothing, and I think most people that have nothing or very little strive to provide a life like you had for their children. You are appreciative and that's the main thing :smile: x

Thank you :smile: my dad's parents were actually immigrants who were poor so he worked SO hard to get where he is and I'm so proud

Original post by SophieSmall
I'm glad to hear you're such a lovely person :tongue: and aha my mum always made a point to tell me life isn't fair when I was growing up :lol:

Thanks :smile: yeah but I try to make it a bit fairer :tongue:
I think I never really realised we were moderately well off because I always went to posh schools where unless you had a swimming pool, a pony and a tennis court you were poor. Talking to my boyfriend about how he used to get second hand toys for Christmas made me realise what a spoilt brat I used to be!
Ugh horrible things though, hate creepy crawlies in the house. I got woken up yesterday morning with a MASSIVE spider plonked on my boob I freaked the **** out. Haven't spent any time in my room since.

:lol: Yeah, spiders are pretty freaky-looking (especially tarantulas :afraid:).
When we had 2 yachts because my parents had upgraded and not sold the old one yet... Lol
Constantly feeling guilty when asking my mum for money. And then even when she gave me money to go out with my friends and have a 'nice time', I would always try to spend as little of it as possible and bring at least 1/2 of it back. If I spent all of it, I would feel guilty for days.
Original post by kingaaran
My moment that I realised my life had changed around (going from well off to having nothing), when my **** of a dad caused our house to become repossessed and my mum told me we had nowhere proper to live and would cry to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww man that's really sad I'm sorry.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I think I never really realised we were moderately well off because I always went to posh schools where unless you had a swimming pool, a pony and a tennis court you were poor. Talking to my boyfriend about how he used to get second hand toys for Christmas made me realise what a spoilt brat I used to be!

I'm sure you weren't a brat :tongue: you can't be blamed for what family you were born into
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Thank you :smile: my dad's parents were actually immigrants who were poor so he worked SO hard to get where he is and I'm so proud

Thanks :smile: yeah but I try to make it a bit fairer :tongue:

You're welcome, and thank you for trying :smile:
I've had the experience of both worlds. Up until the age of 14 we were pretty well off.

We owned a house in the south of france
I had 4 horses
I went to private school

Then the recession came,my mum got ill (she's the earner) my parents went bankrupt and we lost everything.

We had no heating, we all just had to sit round a fire to keep warm

We lived on tomato soup

We went through a stage of hiding whenever someone knocked on the door.

When I was 17 it all got better and my parents got back on their feet, we got a nice house, i got a mulberry handbag for christmas and we were back to our original financial state

However my dad left 7 months ago and took my mum to the cleaners and ditched me and my sister so now we're heading back in the bad direction. My mum got ill again so had to sell everything and now my sister and I are in a bit of a state because she can't afford to have us at home and both of us are students so have no money.

I guess I'm lucky though that I did experience what it felt like to have everything. It's taught me aswell alot of things about money and to avoid my parents mistakes.
Aww man that's really sad I'm sorry.

No I'm happy it happened. It made me realise that you've got to appreciate things. But we worked our way back up, anyways! I don't think I would be able to have developed the aptitude to study if it wasn't for that and then I wouldn't be managing CrashMaths on YouTube/www.crashmaths.tk :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrangeBanana
:lol: Yeah, spiders are pretty freaky-looking (especially tarantulas :afraid:).

I'm actually not to bad with tarantulas it's the thin spindly ones I hate.
Original post by MJ1012

Got to commend him for keeping a straight face
Original post by tillytots
I've had the experience of both worlds. Up until the age of 14 we were pretty well off.

We owned a house in the south of france
I had 4 horses
I went to private school

Then the recession came,my mum got ill (she's the earner) my parents went bankrupt and we lost everything.

We had no heating, we all just had to sit round a fire to keep warm

We lived on tomato soup

We went through a stage of hiding whenever someone knocked on the door.

When I was 17 it all got better and my parents got back on their feet, we got a nice house, i got a mulberry handbag for christmas and we were back to our original financial state

However my dad left 7 months ago and took my mum to the cleaners and ditched me and my sister so now we're heading back in the bad direction. My mum got ill again so had to sell everything and now my sister and I are in a bit of a state because she can't afford to have us at home and both of us are students so have no money.

I guess I'm lucky though that I did experience what it felt like to have everything. It's taught me aswell alot of things about money and to avoid my parents mistakes.

wow :/ it's scary how everything can just suddenly change like that.
Reply 54
Got to commend him for keeping a straight face

Oh, it worked for you? It isn't working on my screen, guess I'll undelete it then.

Original post by kingaaran
No I'm happy it happened. It made me realise that you've got to appreciate things. But we worked our way back up, anyways! I don't think I would be able to have developed the aptitude to study if it wasn't for that and then I wouldn't be managing CrashMaths on YouTube/www.crashmaths.tk :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well then I'm glad you came out of it positively :smile:
Aye children really don't need phones, it really confuses the hell out of me when I see a 7 year old with iphone. It's just like....why?

Also that shield you made sounds awesome :tongue:

It sounds like your family was a bit worse off than mine before you were born, I've never asked my older siblings what their childhood was like but I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar to what you described.

Glad to hear your better off now. :smile:

ye and when I did finally get a phone I barely even used it as well. Was just a waste of money really.

I used to run and jump around the garden pretending I was fighting the vicious chicken of Bristol from Monty Python. Thats kind of wear my username comes from lol.
Original post by MJ1012
Oh, it worked for you? It isn't working on my screen, guess I'll undelete it then.

Yeah it was working fine for me.
Well then I'm glad you came out of it positively :smile:

Awh thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChickenMadness
ye and when I did finally get a phone I barely even used it as well. Was just a waste of money really.

I used to run and jump around the garden pretending I was fighting the vicious chicken of Bristol from Monty Python. Thats kind of wear my username comes from lol.

I do use my phone quite often, I had to have on when I was in high school because since we don't live in a great area and I'd often be coming home from my friends quite late my mum wasn't comfortable with me not having a phone on me for me to contact her or for her to contact me. Can get really cheap phones anyway, had a cheap simple phone for £8.99 once :tongue:

and aha I did wonder about that :3

Quick Reply

Latest