The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Autistic Merit
No.

Girls can be incredibly nasty and their mums can often be worse! Parent's evenings can be awful for the teacher!

I've had nasty rumours spread about me (I won't go into any detail as I'm paranoid that some of my students have TSR). They also try to use their period as an excuse to go to the toilet all the time - I'm sorry but you can't all be on your period at the same time and I swear you were all on it 10 days ago!!

girls periods synch up when they're together all the time. When I was at school I was always on a period at the same time as everyone else.
What sort of students do you enjoy teaching most? The ones who achieve the best grades? The ones who don't achieve the best grades but hard working? The ones who are quiet? The ones who are inquisitive?

Also why did you get onto TSR in the first place?
Original post by Serena20
What do the teachers really speak about in the staff room?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We tend to gossip about other staff more than we do about the students. I'd say gossiping about staff is the most popular topic.

Original post by Motorbiker
Why did you get into teaching?

Best thing about teaching?

If you have people in Yr 12 do you ever tell them to use TSR for it's university information or study help?

Do you ever search for your homework questions to see if they appear on TSR from your students asking people for help?

The best thing about teaching, and the reason I got into it, was making a difference to people's lives. I've always been very caring but also very anxious. I've had to overcome a lot of barriers in terms of anxiety to get where I am.

I've never mentioned TSR to any of my students but I can imagine a lot of them will try to cheat on their homework so they may have stumbled across it that way.
Original post by C0balt
What sort of students do you enjoy teaching most? The ones who achieve the best grades? The ones who don't achieve the best grades but hard working? The ones who are quiet? The ones who are inquisitive?

Also why did you get onto TSR in the first place?

I like polite students the most and there are quite a few that I teach. I like ones who are quite conversational with me but don't push it too far; so if I tell them to stop talking, they will. For that reason, Year 11 students are often quite good because you can have a bit of a laugh with them sometimes but if it's time for some serious work, they're usually good for that too.

The best thing about teaching, and the reason I got into it, was making a difference to people's lives. I've always been very caring but also very anxious. I've had to overcome a lot of barriers in terms of anxiety to get where I am.

I've never mentioned TSR to any of my students but I can imagine a lot of them will try to cheat on their homework so they may have stumbled across it that way.

When did you sign up to TSR and why?

And you think TSR is cheating on homework? Or is it just others helping to teach them?
Has teaching affected your ability to date/have relationships? (Because of time spent working and/or stress.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like polite students the most and there are quite a few that I teach. I like ones who are quite conversational with me but don't push it too far; so if I tell them to stop talking, they will. For that reason, Year 11 students are often quite good because you can have a bit of a laugh with them sometimes but if it's time for some serious work, they're usually good for that too.

Ah ok thanks for the reply
I was wondering why I get liked by many teachers for no apparent reason. I think now I know why though ahah:wink:
Do you think that there should be more creative thinking in subjects like maths. I was taught how to solve specific problems but I think that if student where taught the skills to create there own formulae and methods it would prepare them for a levels and university better and if they are like me excite and interest them.
Original post by Motorbiker
When did you sign up to TSR and why?

And you think TSR is cheating on homework? Or is it just others helping to teach them?

I signed up about 2009 or 2010 with a different account and went on there for maths help at uni until about 2011 I think. I forgot my password for that so I created this new account about this time last year. Now I'm just here when I'm bored or just need a break/I am tired.

TSR wouldn't be cheating unless they just copied it blindly. If they can reproduce it when tested then it wouldn't matter. If they couldn't then it's a bit more of an issue I suppose.

Original post by Serena20
Has teaching affected your ability to date/have relationships? (Because of time spent working and/or stress.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine it has reduced both my attractiveness (it's not exactly a well paid job either) and the amount of time I would be able to dedicate to finding that special woman.
Original post by C0balt
Ah ok thanks for the reply
I was wondering why I get liked by many teachers for no apparent reason. I think now I know why though ahah:wink:

Are you polite and friendly with them? I, for one, appreciate friendliness from a student.
Original post by Truscott178
Do you think that there should be more creative thinking in subjects like maths. I was taught how to solve specific problems but I think that if student where taught the skills to create there own formulae and methods it would prepare them for a levels and university better and if they are like me excite and interest them.

Yes, ideally, that would be great. Sadly there's too much pressure on getting those all important GCSE results now. We always have to try to beat last year's A*-C percentage and there's growing pressure to get 3 levels of progress from KS2-KS4 and sometimes even 4 levels.

Teachers here will know my pain. :angry:
Are you polite and friendly with them? I, for one, appreciate friendliness from a student.

Yes. Teachers themselves said I was polite (I'm not trying to be polite but it's my place of born that makes me polite naturally - that's one of few things I am proud of where I was born lol). I think I'm friendly too. I'm friendlier to certain teachers than the other but still I never forgot to say hi and sometimes have little chats
Maybe i should continue that after I go to different place for sixthform :smile:
I signed up about 2009 or 2010 with a different account and went on there for maths help at uni until about 2011 I think. I forgot my password for that so I created this new account about this time last year. Now I'm just here when I'm bored or just need a break/I am tired.

TSR wouldn't be cheating unless they just copied it blindly. If they can reproduce it when tested then it wouldn't matter. If they couldn't then it's a bit more of an issue I suppose.

If you emailed support@ and knew the email address /DOB on the orignal account we could get that back for you. :holmes:

Fair enough, Often study help is good at explainining things to people. not just telling them the answer. In fact telling them the answer is frowned upon. You're supposed to help them find it out themself.
Original post by C0balt
Yes. Teachers themselves said I was polite (I'm not trying to be polite but it's my place of born that makes me polite naturally - that's one of few things I am proud of where I was born lol). I think I'm friendly too. I'm friendlier to certain teachers than the other but still I never forgot to say hi and sometimes have little chats
Maybe i should continue that after I go to different place for sixthform :smile:

To be honest, it shows maturity and will pay off massively in future. We teachers have students who we all agree will 'do well in life' and these students are all very good at having conversations with adults. They're not necessarily matey with us or anything like that but they have good social skills. Even something like "how's your day been, sir?" is hugely appreciated, especially when you're teaching for 5 hours and you have an hour-long meeting after school or some revision session. It gets tiring and students like that help make your day, as sad as that may sound.

Anyone can hold down a conversation with their fellow students but there's only a small minority that I'd say are really gifted in terms of having conversations with adults. Although, I can understand many simply have no wish to and that's fine. I was the same when I was a student.
Original post by C0balt

Not to mention we teachers write you a reference for your university/further education so it's worth getting us on side! :biggrin:
To be honest, it shows maturity and will pay off massively in future. We teachers have students who we all agree will 'do well in life' and these students are all very good at having conversations with adults. They're not necessarily matey with us or anything like that but they have good social skills. Even something like "how's your day been, sir?" is hugely appreciated, especially when you're teaching for 5 hours and you have an hour-long meeting after school or some revision session. It gets tiring and students like that help make your day, as sad as that may sound.

Anyone can hold down a conversation with their fellow students but there's only a small minority that I'd say are really gifted in terms of having conversations with adults. Although, I can understand many simply have no wish to and that's fine. I was the same when I was a student.

I find that i can have a decent conversation with very few teachers (maybe three?) the rest aren't really open to it, very short and blunt answers and they seem disinterested so i tend to leave those ones alone :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really, glad to hear that haha :biggrin:
Do you appreciate it when students tell you that they like you (not in sexual way) and you're a great teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are teachers bitchy about each other and students
Not to mention we teachers write you a reference for your university/further education so it's worth getting us on side! :biggrin:

Ohhh yeah I must send boxes of chocolate to every teacher....hahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Oh really, glad to hear that haha :biggrin:
Do you appreciate it when students tell you that they like you (not in sexual way) and you're a great teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I haven't been complimented often (I suppose they don't want to be considered a teacher's pet) but I really appreciate it if I get one. We have self esteems too. :colondollar:

Latest