The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

I've always thought that I was pretty poor since we didn't have a house, a car, the latest games, a pool or a flat-screen TV like my classmates had.

But then, when I was like 9 or 10, I realised how wrong I was. I mean sure, we weren't that rich, maybe upper middle class at most but I didn't realise it until I saw my caretaker's monthly paycheck which was equal to my sibling and I's allowance in a month.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrangeBanana
Family's never had a car; never been on a plane before; never had friends come round; hand-me-down clothing; duvets instead of real beds; no mobile phone; crummy neighbourhood.

What do you mean by that? Do real beds not have duvets?
Original post by Firenze26
I've always thought that I was pretty poor since we didn't have a house, a car, the latest games, a pool or a flat-screen TV like my classmates had.

But then, when I was like 9 or 10, I realised how wrong I was. I mean sure, we weren't that rich, maybe upper middle class at most but I didn't realise it until I saw my caretaker's monthly paycheck which was equal to my sibling and I's allowance in a month.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow he must have been paid sod all :/
And that's okay, my grammar isn't great when I'm online either to be honest. :tongue:
Original post by benplumley

He meant that he slept on duvets not a bed and mattress.
When friends came round to my house and were always saying how nice it was or how big it was when I've always thought it was quite average, maybe even on the small side!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
At Christmas my parents would easily spend over £600 on me, one year I got an XBOX 360 with a kinect, several games, a designer bag, as well as countless other presents. They had to put them in 2 rooms because they wouldn't fit in 1. I got paid £100 per GCSE I got and would regularly get expensive perfumes and makeup bought for me.

Wow I feel like an ******* typing that

loled. My mum had a childhood like that because her father was a rich Chinese business man and owned a sweet factory in the Phillipines. They even had colour tvs like 20 years before they were released in England. Their Dad bought them everything. he bought everyone everything actually. He always gave money and gifts away to the workers and just everyone in general. And cus of the sweet factory they just had free crates of sweets n stuff every day lmao.

Then my mum ended up moving to England to live in poverty with my Dad rofl. And then some **** happened and her family became quite poor too when her Dad died.

Original post by benplumley

He probably means no matress or furniture. Just a duvet.
(edited 9 years ago)
I remember when there was a thread like this before and it made me so sad :cry2:
When I realised that a lot of my peers had not even been as far away from London as Birmingham, let alone abroad! I felt bad for moaning about only being able to go to Wales or France.
Not gonna lie , thought there was a walter white in the family XD

But , moderately well off - i could get what i wanted pretty much immediately.
Original post by marinajelly
When friends came round to my house and were always saying how nice it was or how big it was when I've always thought it was quite average, maybe even on the small side!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember going to one of my friends once and thinking it was like a palace. Also not too long ago when I was visiting my now ex we went out with his friends and went back to one of his friends house who literally had a mansion, I w:lol:as too scared to touch anything in case I broke something and owed a million bajillion pounds
Original post by chocolatesauce
I remember when there was a thread like this before and it made me so sad :cry2:

I'm sorry :frown:
Original post by Autistic Merit
When I realised that a lot of my peers had not even been as far away from London as Birmingham, let alone abroad! I felt bad for moaning about only being able to go to Wales or France.

Yeah I've never left the UK myself.....yet. :cool:
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm sorry :frown:

It's not your fault, the other one was on Christmas Day or something...
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Not gonna lie , thought there was a walter white in the family XD

But , moderately well off - i could get what i wanted pretty much immediately.

Why did you think that? :')
Original post by chocolatesauce
It's not your fault, the other one was on Christmas Day or something...

Ahhh yeah, Christmas can be poop for poorer families.
But we had a big emphasis on family being what mattered in holidays and not the gifts so it was usually joyful :smile:
I only realised a few years ago that my family aren't well off, but we're not poor either. Some days we have our struggles, but we always pull through it. As a kid, I would mostly get what I wanted (but then again I never asked for much) and whenever my parents would say no we can't afford it right now, I'd always understand. Right now I'd say we've got enough with just a bit extra. But we're all happy in our house with our cute little garden haha :smile:
Why did you think that? :')

Not divulging over internet , TSR police :biggrin:
Original post by Novascope
I only realised a few years ago that my family aren't well off, but we're not poor either. Some days we have our struggles, but we always pull through it. As a kid, I would mostly get what I wanted (but then again I never asked for much) and whenever my parents would say no we can't afford it right now, I'd always understand. Right now I'd say we've got enough with just a bit extra. But we're all happy in our house with our cute little garden haha :smile:

Naw that's lovely :smile:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Not divulging over internet , TSR police :biggrin:

Oh of course, silly me :tongue:
Ahhh yeah, Christmas can be poop for poorer families.
But we had a big emphasis on family being what mattered in holidays and not the gifts so it was usually joyful :smile:

Same, the family meetings and stuff :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest