The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stargirl63
this was when you said it was fine:

It's interesting that you think if a woman slapped a man and a man slapped back the ENTIRETY of the blame lies on the female.

This is my question - If a woman slapped a man and he got a red cheek and a man slapped a woman and he dislocated her jaw (which is very possible) and she had to go to A&E - is that still fine? ( Which you answered and then contradicted, as above - final answer please?).

My opinion wasnt to your question it was tothe OP question

your question is misleading/leading
ido not know what is fine in terms of what you are asking

obviously it is not fine to get hurt lmao...
and i do not really care who goes hospital -its both their fault at the end of the day because violence is not a solution
Original post by Alumna
My opinion wasnt to your question it was tothe OP question

So you're okay with a guy slapping a woman if she hurt his feelings? I.e - she did not put hands on him initially? Which is the OP's question.

Original post by Alumna

your question is misleading/leading
ido not know what is fine in terms of what you are asking

obviously it is not fine to get hurt lmao...
and i do not really care who goes hospital -its both their fault at the end of the day because violence is not a solution

Glad we got that sorted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Didnt that split-arse in a film about a sinking ship get slapped by a guy? The guy was a nob tho.
It's interesting that you think if a woman slapped a man and a man slapped back the ENTIRETY of the blame lies on the female.

Entirety? No. Majority? Yes. If you provoke violence and turn a non violent situation into a violent one, why would i blame the initial victim for standing up for himself instead of the attacker?

This is my question - If a woman slapped a man and he got a red cheek and a man slapped a woman and he dislocated her jaw (which is very possible) and she had to go to A&E - is that still fine? ( Which you answered and then contradicted, as above - final answer please?).

Its obviously not what you would want to happen, but i wouldn't blame the guy. She provoked violence, and if she suffered as a result of the consequence of her actions, then she shouldn't have became violent to begin with. A woman can injure a man when slapping him all the same, and i'm sure if that outcome did happen she would think much harder about slapping a man again (in comparison of he didn't react).

If a 5ft7 skinny bloke became aggressive and violent towards a 6ft5 powerhouse, and became hurt, although its preferable the aggressor doesn't get hurt i would still put the majority of the blame of the incident on him because he caused it. Why would i not do the same to women? If a woman doesn't want to risk getting hurt, then don't provoke violence, and if you don't then you really lose your right to complain.
No way! if my husband ever laid a finger on me... we're over.
Yes, I'm a true supporter of equality not the kind where it only benefits women.
Original post by JG1233
Entirety? No. Majority? Yes. If you provoke violence and turn a non violent situation into a violent one, why would i blame the initial victim for standing up for himself instead of the attacker?

Its obviously not what you would want to happen, but i wouldn't blame the guy. She provoked violence, and if she suffered as a result of the consequence of her actions, then she shouldn't have became violent to begin with. A woman can injure a man when slapping him all the same, and i'm sure if that outcome did happen she would think much harder about slapping a man again (in comparison of he didn't react).

If a 5ft7 skinny bloke became aggressive and violent towards a 6ft5 powerhouse, and became hurt, although its preferable the aggressor doesn't get hurt i would still put the majority of the blame of the incident on him because he caused it. Why would i not do the same to women? If a woman doesn't want to risk getting hurt, then don't provoke violence, and if you don't then you really lose your right to complain.

Keeping in line with the actual topic of this thread, if a woman "hurts a man's feelings" in other words, has just upset him, as opposed to being violent, no he should not slap her.

I completely agree that a woman or man or anyone for that matter should not pick a fight with someone that can clearly obliterate them. In saying that, I want to move past the initiation of the disagreement and move on to the role of the male in this situation, given that he has been hit:

If a woman lashes out at a man because she is upset, I don't believe that there is a need to show strength or aggression back, even though yes he may want to and yes she should not have done it in the first place. Many guys don't know their own strength, what they don't think hurts, really does. Perhaps a "why did you do that?" or perhaps restraint?

But there are times where we have all forgotten ourselves and said or did something and then immediately regretted afterwards. If I forget myself and slap a guy because he cheated on me or something along those lines, I really really don't expect to be potentially put in hospital with a bruised face and broken nose from one punch being justified as "well she started it".

I disagree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with girls who put their hands on men because they "know" the guy will not fight back simply just to exercise some sort of dominance. I also disagree with those girls who don't hit guys - but actually attack them. Those girls don't need to be hit back - they just need to be left the hell alone. And I am not commenting on those situations in this post.
Keeping in line with the actual topic of this thread, if a woman "hurts a man's feelings" in other words, has just upset him, as opposed to being violent, no he should not slap her.

I completely agree that a woman or man or anyone for that matter should not pick a fight with someone that can clearly obliterate them. In saying that, I want to move past the initiation of the disagreement and move on to the role of the male in this situation, given that he has been hit:

If a woman lashes out at a man because she is upset, I don't believe that there is a need to show strength or aggression back, even though yes he may want to and yes she should not have done it in the first place. Many guys don't know their own strength, what they don't think hurts, really does. Perhaps a "why did you do that?" or perhaps restraint?

But there are times where we have all forgotten ourselves and said or did something and then immediately regretted afterwards. If I forget myself and slap a guy because he cheated on me or something along those lines, I really really don't expect to be potentially put in hospital with a bruised face and broken nose from one punch being justified as "well she started it".

I disagree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with girls who put their hands on men because they "know" the guy will not fight back simply just to exercise some sort of dominance. I also disagree with those girls who don't hit guys - but actually attack them. Those girls don't need to be hit back - they just need to be left the hell alone. And I am not commenting on those situations in this post.

Well nobody should slap first, i thought that was a given. If a man slapped first, he would and rightly be classed as the person in the wrong, even if the woman slapped him back. The question is why isn't the reverse true, why should a man have to be able to control his emotions through fear of punishment but not a woman?

If girls know a guys strength, its surely then a stupid move to attack them? Chance are the guy is upset as well, but he'll not only be expected to show restraint not to lash out during the argument, but hes even expected to show restraint after being attacked? At what point do we stop telling guys not to fight back, and start telling girls don't start a fight you won't win?

I disagree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with girls who put their hands on men because they "know" the guy will not fight back simply just to exercise some sort of dominance. I also disagree with those girls who don't hit guys - but actually attack them. Those girls don't need to be hit back - they just need to be left the hell alone. And I am not commenting on those situations in this post

And a guy can't "forget himself", despite being the now victim he is still expected to stay calm? At the point of getting slapped the guy is probably more angry than the girl was when she slapped him, if she couldn't control herself why is it reasonable to assume he will? If neither can control themselves they are both to blame, but the aggressor more so. Your using extreme examples as well, the chances of a girl needing to go to A&E after a slap are low. However i have personally known a man almost blinded after being slapped by a girl, because her nail sliced his eye.

A girl slapping a guy is doing it on the assumption he wont slap back, which is cowardly. Surely the only way to stop this practice, and get "equality" as many feminists apparently want, is to stop telling girls they are allowed to become violent if upset. Here is the question, if a woman is so angry she cannot control herself and slaps a man, after being slapped and already likely angry from the argument, why is he then expected to control himself? Girls cheat on men all the time using your example, but if a man slapped that girl he would be in the wrong immediately as he would be expected despite being angry to control himself, so why can't we expect girls to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JG1233
x

Yes a man can forget himself, yes he can and will very rightly lose his temper given the circumstances etc etc. I understand where you are coming from, which is why I don't like violence full stop.

To be quite honest, I think the reason why it is more common for a girl to hit the guy is less about him not retaliating and more about the genuine damage it would cause...Which isn't a lot. I guess in that way you wouldn't really take a woman hitting you very seriously, it's almost laughable like, what is she actually going to do? When the outcome of a slap is a man's red cheek compared with a woman's bruised face, I don't think you can really say he is the victim.

However your friend who was almost blinded by some girl,I have no response towards, it is inexcusable. I'm not referring to using nails, plates, knives or any other object as a weapon against a man.
Original post by orange crush
Is it okay for a man to slap a woman as long as he doesn't do it too hard, then?

Depends where :teehee:
Original post by Jebedee
Isn't that a reason for them NOT to slap a guy? You wouldn't punch Mike Tyson, would you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would if he didn't punch me back :tongue:
I say that unless they're doing it out of fun and both (romantically involved) participants know and allow it, or unless one of them defends themself from being slapped or otherwise attacked, men slapping women, women slapping men, men slapping men and women slapping women or otherwise just for comeuppance, anger release, stress relief, control etc is WRONG. Whatever the couple, and whatever the reason (except for playful fighting and serious self-defense), slapping is a form of physical abuse if it is done more than once. Slapping your partner in, say, anger ONCE isn't abuse, it's just stupid, but after that it becomes very wrong.
It depends on the severity of why the man's feelings were hurt. If he is a harsh guy overall, then it would be abuse but if he is a softy then it merely depends on the reason why. Some guys actually hurt themselves FOR women. What would YOU do if a guy slits his wrist over you? Scary but it's happened :biggrin: and what if the guy just can't get over you? Different people have unique ways in which to present what they are feeling and sometimes it can be REALLY MENTAL!! :/
Original post by SamUKG97
It is perfectly fine imo. "fighting for equality" but can't get hit by a man?

Agreed. If my girl slapped me because I hurt her, I'll slap her if she hurts me...using the same force of course.
Everybody should keep their hands to themselves.
Original post by StevieA
So many times in movies, shows or real life the woman slaps the man because he just said something that hurt her feelings and nobody even blinks at her violent reaction, if anything it is seen as appropriate and the man deserved it (see the recent case of JayZ when the most asked question was ''what did he do?''). So I ask you, would it be as acceptable if a man slapped a woman every single time she hurt his feelings?

James Bond sometimes used to slap them bitches around and everyone loves him :wink:
Most men are physically stronger than women. So, if you don't want that guilty feeling lingering inside of you. You should just walk away without saying a word or slapping her. Cut all contacts with her. Remove her completely out of your life. Erase her existence from your mind.
This so unacceptable, you are a monster for thinking this. Punching her back is not okay, you could turn this is a physical assault which is not good. If you punch her it'll hurt way more than if you were to slap her back, pretty sure the tears would flow as well. Please don't punch her back, https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/cry2.gif

Latest