The Student Room Group

Change in performance from GCSE to AS-Level by subject

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Those who did well at GCSE and can't do A-Level are outliers in general those at my school who got A*s have done great in the mocks like me, the only exception was someone who didn't turn up on time on lessons and was unprepared and basically didn't have much work ethic and even though he struggled there was some feeling at the college that He was starting to work hard near the end after struggling and getting Es/Us in the mock , so we will have to see whether He will be one of those outliers who fail AS despite easing through GCSE.

If you are prepared to actually do the lesson and come properly prepared and do the homework then you should find AS easy if you found GCSE Maths easy because the statement that the gap between GCSE and AS is huge couldn't be more of an exaggeration the gap is very small, hence why so many students on here will post how they covered a module in a couple of weeks.In Y11 I covered C2 up to an A grade standard in a couple of weeks if I remember and didn't find it harder than what I was studying at GCSE at the time-to get good UMS though you do have to do a lot of past papers, to avoid silly mistakes/falling victim to unusual questions.

I feel as though the gap between GCSE Further Maths/Additional Maths and AS Further Maths can be very large though because GCSE Further Maths is pretty much as difficult as AS Maths, which isn't much harder than GCSE Maths where as Further Maths has a lot more new concepts to deal with-it was the mechanics modules that I found really hard at first and had to work on because you didn't do them at GCSE and I did M1 and M2 at AS.

this year i found M1 M2 quite easy and the only module o struggled to 'get' was S1 for some reason which i still dont get. I've probably still got 90 or somethjng in it but it was the module which i didnt get or understand. It still makes no sense to me. well in my school no one got more then 8 A*'s. Most of the people in my school who got 6A-A*'s failed there mocks except for further maths people. There is a massive gap in maths gcse and A level. Trust me because my school is very average and these people can experience it. In gcse with no revision you can get an easy A*. People try the same in a levels and it doesnt work lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by physicsmaths
this year i found M1 M2 quite easy and the only module o struggled to 'get' was S1 for some reason which i still dont get. I've probably still got 90 or somethjng in it but it was the module which i didnt get or understand. It still makes no sense to me. well in my school no one got more then 8 A*'s. Most of the people in my school who got 6A-A*'s failed there mocks except for further maths people. There is a massive gap in maths gcse and A level. Trust me because my school is very average and these people can experience it. In gcse with no revision you can get an easy A*. People try the same in a levels and it doesnt work lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't do any revision for my mocks in January for Maths,Further Maths and Physics and lost 4 raw marks in total over them mocks so it can work.Revision is mainly necessary to avoid silly mistakes/prepare for strange questions to ensure you get in the 90s but As are generally easy-I might of messed up Physics a bit, especially with the ISAs but we'll see.

You must be really good at Physics to find M1 and M2 easy at first because the physics concepts are very advanced and hard to understand-I was still doing well at Physics,whilst struggling with Mechanics.

I don't really know why you struggled with S1 care to elaborate.There are some nasty interpretation questions, there is a decent amount of things to remember a lot more than other modules eg.skew but most of it I find is just pure maths or at least it feels that way and you get lots of marks for just putting numbers into a formula, that if you didn't remember you could look at formula booklet.I found S1 like most people seem to find D1(I haven't really looked at that much yet so can't comment that much) it was really easy and didn't advance much from GCSE but there was a lot of room for silly mistakes and to get interpretation questions wrong, with picky mark schemes.
Original post by Dalek1099
I didn't do any revision for my mocks in January for Maths,Further Maths and Physics and lost 4 raw marks in total over them mocks so it can work.Revision is mainly necessary to avoid silly mistakes/prepare for strange questions to ensure you get in the 90s but As are generally easy-I might of messed up Physics a bit, especially with the ISAs but we'll see.

You must be really good at Physics to find M1 and M2 easy at first because the physics concepts are very advanced and hard to understand-I was still doing well at Physics,whilst struggling with Mechanics.

I don't really know why you struggled with S1 care to elaborate.There are some nasty interpretation questions, there is a decent amount of things to remember a lot more than other modules eg.skew but most of it I find is just pure maths or at least it feels that way and you get lots of marks for just putting numbers into a formula, that if you didn't remember you could look at formula booklet.I found S1 like most people seem to find D1(I haven't really looked at that much yet so can't comment that much) it was really easy and didn't advance much from GCSE but there was a lot of room for silly mistakes and to get interpretation questions wrong, with picky mark schemes.

yh i think the main reason why i sturggled with s1 was because i hated it and didnt enjoy it one bit. Did you sit edexcel Physics? I think my physics helped a lot with newtons laws etc. As well as i am sitting m3-m5 this aswell as all the fp modules. My school does do decision maths this year but im not gona do it. D1 seems to be a wasye of time honestly becauss thats what everyone said. yh the revision nowadays is just for silly mistakes. All the maths a level content is straight foraward. Tbh i like really hard papers so that a little mistake wont cost you 100ums. Easy papers if you make one mistake it ends up being like flippin 95.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest