The Student Room Group

Cant decide what to buy for my first car,it has to be a new one though.

So I'm looking for my first car for once I've finished my lessons and past my test, but out of all the new cars out there,its a hard choice to make, i think I've kind of narrowed it down to a pre order 2015 plate Vauxhall Corsa VXR 3dr, but I'm still unsure, i need some opinions on what cars are better than others.
Why does it have to be brand new? I got a 7 month old ex-lease Vauxhall Corsa SE 1.4l petrol a while back. It had 10k miles on the clock, but it was in great condition and it was £10k (instead of £16k brand new). I also got 5 years interest free finance on it :smile: There will be plenty of other decent cars that aren't brand new as well
Original post by *Interrobang*
Why does it have to be brand new? I got a 7 month old ex-lease Vauxhall Corsa SE 1.4l petrol a while back. It had 10k miles on the clock, but it was in great condition and it was £10k (instead of £16k brand new). I also got 5 years interest free finance on it :smile: There will be plenty of other decent cars that aren't brand new as well

Did you put a deposit on it or did you finance the whole thing?
Original post by Wills94
So I'm looking for my first car for once I've finished my lessons and past my test, but out of all the new cars out there,its a hard choice to make, i think I've kind of narrowed it down to a pre order 2015 plate Vauxhall Corsa VXR 3dr, but I'm still unsure, i need some opinions on what cars are better than others.

Peugeot 208 gti
suzuki swift sport
Reply 4
It would help if you put details like maximum budget, what you'll be using the car for etc...

Based on the information given I'd tell you to get a brand new Aventador, it's definitely better than a Corsa VXR.
Original post by mikeyd85
Did you put a deposit on it or did you finance the whole thing?

Deposit was one month's payment (approximately £160)
Original post by *Interrobang*
Deposit was one month's payment (approximately £160)

How's that worked out for you? Do you regret that decision or has it been a good one? I'm in a similar situation to where you seemed to have been at that point in your life and I'm just not sure about being in debt for a car for 5 years! You think that car will do you for 5 years?
Original post by Wills94

Its your first car and you want a new one ?
What if you crash it due to lack of road experience ?

you will be gutted

Just saying:auto::K:
How's that worked out for you? Do you regret that decision or has it been a good one? I'm in a similar situation to where you seemed to have been at that point in your life and I'm just not sure about being in debt for a car for 5 years! You think that car will do you for 5 years?

Well I've had it over 2 years now and it's fine, except the boot being too small for moving all my belongings in one go :tongue: I got a 5 door cos I thought that would be better long-term :smile: So yes, I'm happy with the decision, altho I know it's not the most exciting car!
Reply 9
There is literally no point in new drivers getting a brand new car. You can guarantee you will ding it at some point.
I can almost guarantee the decision to get a brand new car as a first car will be one you'll regret.
Original post by ldsbabe
There is literally no point in new drivers getting a brand new car. You can guarantee you will ding it at some point.

I'd rather pay to repair a ding in a new car than constantly have to shell out to repair a banger.

That's the hard thing really. New cars are more expensive, but reliable and covered under warranty. Old cars can be a bargain at first, but the cost of ownership can be so bloody high if you're unlucky.
I'd rather pay to repair a ding in a new car than constantly have to shell out to repair a banger.

That's the hard thing really. New cars are more expensive, but reliable and covered under warranty. Old cars can be a bargain at first, but the cost of ownership can be so bloody high if you're unlucky.

Unless you're really uncareful or unlucky, you won't find many true "bangers" around. If anything, a lot of reliability issues with "bangers" are due to wear and tear from inexperienced drivers damaging them. If you damage a new car due to inexperience then you could find the warranty won't pay out. Warranties are to pay for manufacturing defects, not normal wear and tear or issues caused by driver error. Also keep in mind that having anyone unautherised work on the car or using none genuine parts will almost certainly invalidate the warranty.
Corsas are alright, have driven one (first car) since March and I have no real complaints so far.

I agree with everyone, a brand new car isn't worth getting as your first car, you'll be suprised at the amount of scratches your car will obtain within the first few months :cry:
Original post by Wills94

I suppose you must have checked on insurance for that car?

Might be a long wait for the VXR model as it is still under development and difficult to say how good it would be. Fast Vauxhalls has rarely ever lived up to its name though.

Quick Reply

Latest