The Student Room Group

Volunteering ideas

Over the summer I want to volunteer at different places to help me gain more experience to be able to get onto a children's nursing degree for 2015, but I'm so stuck with what would be the best places to volunteer at? please help! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Look at becoming a play leader or paeds HCA. Getting in as a paid worker also opens you up to the chance of secondment. they may also do volunteers for feeds/meal times.
Original post by jass26
Over the summer I want to volunteer at different places to help me gain more experience to be able to get onto a children's nursing degree for 2015, but I'm so stuck with what would be the best places to volunteer at? please help! :smile:

I think it might also be a god idea if you also worked at places that are not dirrectly linked with with nursing. For example, you could help out at a food bank, or do some work for the RSPCA, so that they can see that you have helped in all areas.
Original post by jass26

I know you wouldnt be able to do this over the summer- but in september when the new school term starts, you could start volunteering at your local rainbows/brownies/guides group. If you start looking now, then you should be able to be sorted and ready to start by september.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I know you wouldnt be able to do this over the summer- but in september when the new school term starts, you could start volunteering at your local rainbows/brownies/guides group. If you start looking now, then you should be able to be sorted and ready to start by september.

Thank you! Will definitely look into that, I was thinking of helping out with the summer schools that they have for children and volunteering at a local nursery but I just don't know if that would be enough :confused:
Original post by jass26
Thank you! Will definitely look into that, I was thinking of helping out with the summer schools that they have for children and volunteering at a local nursery but I just don't know if that would be enough :confused:

If you go on the girlguiding website and go on the "join us" bit, you should be able to find more info and join.
Reply 6
You could volunteer with StJohn Ambulance, it is a great way if volunteering and dealing with unwell people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by fifimas
You could volunteer with StJohn Ambulance, it is a great way if volunteering and dealing with unwell people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My local hospital encourages volunteers anywhere! Just phone your local hospital and speak to the volunteers department. Explain your situation. You may have to do a bit of filing but the play leaders always appreciate help.

I realised that I didn't want to be a children's nurse by volunteering on the ward and found a love for adult nursing while banking on
other wards!!

Give them a call :-)

Original post by Azza007
Look at becoming a play leader or paeds HCA. Getting in as a paid worker also opens you up to the chance of secondment. they may also do volunteers for feeds/meal times.

Quick Reply

Latest