The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
No the fact you had a limo pick you up, it's just funny.

Although trying to catch a bus after being seen in a limo is funny too.

I'm by no means well off but I hate the bus. I've caught it once on my own... Disgusting

It's actually a bit sad and pathetic to feel that way just about taking a bus. Public transport is environmentally better and is also more likely to help keep you exercised in the long term.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's actually a bit sad and pathetic to feel that way just about taking a bus. Public transport is environmentally better and is also more likely to help keep you exercised in the long term.

Well excuse me for not liking the stares, mutters and barks (both human and dog)
I walk instead, even more friendly and exercised
No the fact you had a limo pick you up, it's just funny.

Although trying to catch a bus after being seen in a limo is funny too.

I'm by no means well off but I hate the bus. I've caught it once on my own... Disgusting

Then how do you travel round

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
Not really at the time but more 'we were poor' moment, but back in the day when used to get orange juice. Back then you used to be able to get 4 kinds of juice, proper fresh stuff, the normal not from concentrate stuff, from concentrate, and the actual concentrate. We always used to get the actual concentrate, came in like a coke can in the frozen section which you used to have to defrost and mix with water and put in a jug to get orange juice. Proper poverty juice.

Lol. I am rich enough to get tropicana freshly pressed orange juice now. Last year i was getting lidl value cartons of orange 1litre for 59p

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Then how do you travel round

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends

I'll normally find myself walking if I want to go somewhere

Or a lift
Hmm, I actually come from a rich extended family, but my side of the family isn't exactly that. Me and my older brother were too young to understand. When I was 7 months old and he was 3, my mum used to wait till we were asleep at night and then go out to do night shifts for her care assistant job. Every night for 5 years. She would come back around 7 am just in time to take my brother to nursery and feed me. Obviously things are much much better now, but when we got older and I realised just how far she went for us when we were babies, it really hit home. I don't know of anyone on this earth stronger than that...

Damn you OP, bringing out memories and shizz
Well excuse me for not liking the stares, mutters and barks (both human and dog)

guess you don't have to commute much then lol.
Depends

I'll normally find myself walking if I want to go somewhere

Or a lift

How many miles do you walk a day then? I only walk 2 miles max a day if my bus is not coming

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still find that so funny xD. Yeah If I have to commute I get train :P.
Original post by ChickenMadness
guess you don't have to commute much then lol.

Well to school, I have the school thing pick me up
How many miles do you walk a day then? I only walk 2 miles max a day if my bus is not coming

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have the school vehicle to pick me up :tongue: so

Original post by maths learner
Still find that so funny xD. Yeah If I have to commute I get train :P.

His Chav partner threatened to slap him

Trains are the best, but I don't have any next to me :mad: I'd have to get a bus to catch it

Trains are the best, but I don't have any next to me :mad: I'd have to get a bus to catch it

Lol oh dear. that's like when I was at Imperial and someone threatend to beat me up if I didn't give them my wallet xD. Was pretty funny as I was made to do martial arts as a kid :P. The bad thing was I got in trouble by the uni lol.
I've had the privilege of seeing both sides to this. Up to the age of 10, my parents were together and we lived in a really nice house down a lovely street and all was good. They got divorced and my mum and I had to start saving money whichever way we could. I appreciate things a lot more now, and I think that's important.
Lol oh dear. that's like when I was at Imperial and someone threatend to beat me up if I didn't give them my wallet xD. Was pretty funny as I was made to do martial arts as a kid :P. The bad thing was I got in trouble by the uni lol.

Did you destroy them? :colone:

Lucky i have to walk to my bus stop, take the bus to the tube station, take the tube 4 half an hour and then walk for 5 mins to get to college. No suprises i am always late to college and it take an hour 4 me to get to college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Lived in a nice area in an awful borough

- Parents have decent cars

- Always had food on the table

- Always had hot water

- Always had heating

- Had nice items - i.e.mp3 player, mobile phone, Nintendo DS Lite, etc.

- Been abroad a few times

- Nice social life - e.g. eating out/shopping in central London

- Able to go on trips out

But:

- I wasn't handed things, I had/have to work for what I want.

- I did not live a life of extravagance

- We don't buy designer items

- I still did not have a good childhood
Did you destroy them? :colone:

Nah, just put them to the ground, and said if they ever did it again and I saw them I'd break their arm. They ran away xD.
Lucky i have to walk to my bus stop, take the bus to the tube station, take the tube 4 half an hour and then walk for 5 mins to get to college. No suprises i am always late to college and it take an hour 4 me to get to college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh woah, in my defence, I do take the London underground when in London!

Nah, just put them to the ground, and said if they ever did it again and I saw them I'd break their arm. They ran away xD.

I need to learn some martial arts :lol:

Sounds great, and hilarious, why would you get in trouble for it?

cool

I need to learn some martial arts :lol:

Sounds great, and hilarious, why would you get in trouble for it?

They gave me stupid reason: "public indecency and causing a scene on university grounds" I was like meh.

Really? It's always a lot worse than the bus though. Unbelievably crowded :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest