The Student Room Group

What was your hardest A-level exam and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ETRC
G482 was alright because after I compared answers I think I got around 85.
I hope I get 100ums in it cos I feel like I got 40/60 in G481.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ah nice! Both papers were definitely the hardest they've set.

Did you check the teacher's unofficial mark scheme for G481 for a better idea?

Every year thinks they have got the hardest paper lol.

Unit 1 Mechanics was a pisstake and unbelievably harder than usual.

Unit 2 Photons was slightly easier than usual.

Just my 286 cents.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel

Just my 286 cents.

Not really, F321 for example was definitely not hardest

F322 was though

G482 wasn't easier than normal because they linked up all the areas, teachercol even said it was the hardest so far
Out of all the 27 alevel exams ive done...it was the very last one that was the hardest. Not a nice note to end on haha.

It was MEI M4, and it was just a very difficult and relatively unusual paper as far as M4 goes. Which was surprising because it was one of the easierand enjoyable modules that i had done...and i looked at a few pastpapers beforehand and they were far simpler in my opinion.

Hopefully i didnt mess up too badly
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 63

Just my 286 cents.

The quantum and waves bit in Unit 2 was easy imo
the electricity was a bit tricky

The mechanics paper was unbelievably hard for no reason. Every calculation was harder than it had to be and the explanation question were stupid.
Original post by ETRC

The mechanics paper was unbelievably hard for no reason. Every calculation was harder than it had to be and the explanation question were stupid.

Waves I couldn't do :hide: like my explanations weren't great and the 2 polaroids I had wrong...

Electricity was literally half the paper damn it

G481. It was just so time consuming. Couldn't do the last q, and I made some really stupid mistakes hopefully 50+ marks unless marks are mean
Not really, F321 for example was definitely not hardest

F322 was though

G482 wasn't easier than normal because they linked up all the areas, teachercol even said it was the hardest so far

f321 June 2013 was the hardest unit 1 chem paper there has been.

F322 last question was hard idd.

I thought it was a decent paper, there have been harder imo.

You probably got 150 UMS anyway though lmao.

Original post by ETRC

It was easier than usual idd.

That was mean, just incredibly mean - I dont like OCR :/

And this stupid tosser, writing this wrote 1/6th for the mass of that freaking ostrich.

ib4 1/8th.

I agree, the only easy question was define displacement and explain the use of seatbelts.
f321 June 2013 was the hardest unit 1 chem paper there has been.

F322 last question was hard idd.

I thought it was a decent paper, there have been harder imo.

You probably got 150 UMS anyway though lmao.

Probably, but even that wasn't hard lol

I got like 3/4 on that q... Because I misread the e/z bit.

G482; our paper was defo hardest, I want the 150 :colone: but I'm seeing 147 :frown:
Maths :angry:

Edexcel are a set of *****, honestly. C4 and M1 were basically two 1 and a half hour sessions of pure PAIN.
any A2 maths module because OCR
Probably, but even that wasn't hard lol

I got like 3/4 on that q... Because I misread the e/z bit.

G482; our paper was defo hardest, I want the 150 :colone: but I'm seeing 147 :frown:

lol, I prefer easy papers with high boundaries, rather than hard papers with low boundaries.

That way you don't get bs questions, which are dissimilar to pp's.

Original post by Fas
Maths :angry:

Edexcel are a set of *****, honestly. C4 and M1 were basically two 1 and a half hour sessions of pure PAIN.

That M1 was way harder than usual too, however C3 was a good one, probably since of how ridiculous it was the year before :yep:
lol, I prefer easy papers with high boundaries, rather than hard papers with low boundaries.

That way you don't get bs questions, which are dissimilar to pp's.

No way! I much prefer hard hard papers with low boundaries. Because I can make silly mistakes and still get good ums
Original post by infinitytheory
C1 or C2 maths ._.

LOL good joke.
No way! I much prefer hard hard papers with low boundaries. Because I can make silly mistakes and still get good ums

Nah man, there's nothing stopping making silly mistakes on hard papers too.

The hard papers tend to be way out of whack too.

lmao, you'll get good ums regardless :lol:
AS English literature was the hardest, because I hadn't read any of the books lol
Reply 74
Hardest A level exam? Hmmm... let me think. Maybe it was that D1 paper I sat in June 2011 (OCR not MEI). Just maybe it was this single AS exam that forever crushed my aspirations of doing maths at uni after I realised I just wasn't up to the challenge. This was a paper that could not be done in 90 minutes anyone who says they managed it is a liar. I remember giving it to my brother as a past paper this year and I felt really bad seeing his confidence levels for tomorrow's exam plummet into the abyss. Seriously, just look up that paper if you're interested. They even gave you an 8 mark question 'show that these two inequalities are true' however it was false. It even made national news for being an impossible paper http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13627415 .

I got 44/72 or 61% which is easily the worst I have ever done at maths and that's when I decided to throw down the towel... :cool:
Reply 75
Nah man, there's nothing stopping making silly mistakes on hard papers too.

The hard papers tend to be way out of whack too.

lmao, you'll get good ums regardless :lol:

Not really, because F321 I'll just about scrape an A if I get that. Because boundaries will be like 50/60 for an A.

And I might just have got that
Not really, because F321 I'll just about scrape an A if I get that. Because boundaries will be like 50/60 for an A.

And I might just have got that

gl :smile:
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
LOL good joke.

why?
Original post by infinitytheory
why?

Not joking?

Quick Reply

Latest