The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NX172
Work on acquiring employable skills. Why should the company hire you? How are you different to all the other graduates coming out of uni with zero experience and skills?

Has everybody with whom I've worked with have 2:1s ? Of course not, many don't even have degrees. But they've been picking up skills in their spare time and just self learning. Heck, some of my seniors only achieved 2:2. It's not an excuse.

When I'm hiring people, I don't care which uni you graduated from, what your grade is, what your family background is or what you eat for breakfast. All I want to know is whether or not you have the skills to do the job and whether or not you'll fit into the team. I know and have seen grads with 1:1s who couldn't code their way out of a paperbag and I've seen BTEC holders pass interviews with flying colours.

As an IT graduate, you should be well aware you can learn most the skills you need from your own home. Be it, Software engineering, network administration, software testing, etc. Time to upgrade yourself

(If you're interested in Software Engineering, I've written some tips to successfully getting an entry level job in the industry in this thread. If that's the case, there should be plenty for you to get cracking on with to improve your employability).

Other than by looking at what grades they got from what uni, how do you assess what skills applicants have?
Reply 21
Original post by Tom_Ford
What? I got a 2.1 from a RG uni in Law with relatively minimal work. I am still out of a job since graduation in 2013. It is very difficult out there, very few jobs to give and intense competition.

But that makes people with a 2:2 undeserving of finding work. Regardless of their backgrounds and personal attributes..

Your comments shows an underlying ignorance that is breathtaking..
Reply 22
Original post by MUN123

I've basically been lied to and been told that doing my degree will make it easier for me to get a job, which I believed when I was a naive 6th former

There is no guarantee that a degree will get you a job. All the degree is, is to say you've gained the basic knowledge (not skills) to be able to do a job in the profession. Note, you do not yet have the skills to do the job at hand. The fact that a graduate is more or less useless coming out of uni, it is the benevolence of an employer to take on a risk (you, the graduate) and train you up, expecting little real productivity in your first few years. Why should an employer invest time and money to do that? They could just recruit a junior who already has an idea of what they're doing. None of them owe you that privilege for simply holding a degree. They invest in you hoping to see real passion to blossom into a productive employee. Whining on forums as opposed to learning the skills that are clearly bullet pointed on the job description isn't showing any resolve to achieving that goal.

You can ignore my previous post all you like, as you send the impression of some sort of over-entitlement of studying a degree without wanting to do any extra work to get the job. I'm sorry, the market is this competitive. It's this sort of attitude to working that can be directly attributed to your current situation.

But I assure you in IT, that 'hard work' was only just the beginning; as IT is one of those careers that require career-long learning. You get as much as you put in.
Original post by MUN123
No

Wait.

what. the. ****.

You're presumably about 21 and you've NEVER had a job?

Jesus christ, be glad they'll let you work for free. Most people your age will have been in consistent employment for the past 5 years.

I had probably done about 10-12 different jobs by the time I finished uni and could have got a glowing reference off any one of them.
Reply 24
Original post by NX172
There is no guarantee that a degree will get you a job. All the degree is, is to say you've gained the basic knowledge (not skills) to be able to do a job in the profession. Note, you do not yet have the skills to do the job at hand. The fact that a graduate is more or less useless coming out of uni, it is the benevolence of an employer to take on a risk (you, the graduate) and train you up, expecting little real productivity in your first few years. Why should an employer invest time and money to do that? They could just recruit a junior who already has an idea of what they're doing. None of them owe you that privilege for simply holding a degree. They invest in you hoping to see real passion to blossom into a productive employee. Whining on forums as opposed to learning the skills that are clearly bullet pointed on the job description isn't showing any resolve to achieving that goal.

You can ignore my previous post all you like, as you send the impression of some sort of over-entitlement of studying a degree without wanting to do any extra work to get the job. I'm sorry, the market is this competitive. It's this sort of attitude to working that can be directly attributed to your current situation.

But I assure you in IT, that 'hard work' was only just the beginning; as IT is one of those careers that require career-long learning. You get as much as you put in.

Good advice.

What's your background?
Reply 25
Original post by cole-slaw
Other than by looking at what grades they got from what uni, how do you assess what skills applicants have?

In IT this is can be shown by previous personal projects for clients, friends and family. You just need to be able to talk about the sort of technologies that were used, weigh up the advantages and disadvantages, how smooth the delivery was, etc.

Being able to hold a conversation about the industry, its trends and direction is impressive enough for the employer to know you have an active interest and engagement with the industry to take you on as an employee with potential.

Personally, I've been able to skip interview stages at Microsoft simply by having intelligent conversations about the industry over lunch with a fellow professional who already works there. (Although this is more of a side effect of networking and getting to know the right people)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Wait.

what. the. ****.

You're presumably about 21 and you've NEVER had a job?

Jesus christ, be glad they'll let you work for free. Most people your age will have been in consistent employment for the past 5 years.

I had probably done about 10-12 different jobs by the time I finished uni and could have got a glowing reference off any one of them.

I live in a crap place with zero opportunities
Reply 27
Original post by MUN123

Where is that? And that mitigates your situation somewhat..
Original post by NX172
In IT this is can be shown by previous personal projects for clients, friends and family. You just need to be able to talk about the sort of technologies that were used, weigh up the advantages and disadvantages, how smooth the delivery was, etc.

All of which and more they will have been assessed on far more thoroughly during their university degree than you could ever hope to achieve in a 10 minute assessment.

Being able to hold a conversation about the industry, its trends and direction is impressive enough for the employer to know you have an active interest and engagement with the industry to take you on as an employee with potential.

Being able to bull**** about industry trends in an interview is not a particularly valuable skill, unless you're employing them to be a cold-calling sales rep.
Original post by MUN123

You live somewhere that jobs don't exist?
Reply 30
What? I got a 2.1 from a RG uni in Law with relatively minimal work. I am still out of a job since graduation in 2013. It is very difficult out there, very few jobs to give and intense competition.

Computer science is a challenging degree compared to other degree. Other subjects you can get away with making mistakes and come out with a good grade whereas in my degree if we couldn't hand in a working program we would pretty much fail the module
All I can say is try and get some volunteering in the sector that you want to work in, which you've said is IT. The majority of employers these days are looking at potential employees who have got experience in that sector :redface: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MUN123
Computer science is a challenging degree compared to other degree. Other subjects you can get away with making mistakes and come out with a good grade whereas in my degree if we couldn't hand in a working program we would pretty much fail the module

Well, you are an adult, you should take responsibility for your own choices. There are people achieving 2.1's in traditional subjects and A*s at A Level who have also had mitigating circumstances whilst achieving these standards.
I do sympathise with you to an extent, OP. It's very frustrating to be in a situation where you are constantly being turned down.

However, you DO need to acquire experience somehow and from somewhere! I don't really know how the IT employment field works but I'd recommend taking on any work or volunteering, whether paid or not. Otherwise you will have the same problem for the rest of your life! :eek:
Reply 34
All of which and more they will have been assessed on far more thoroughly during their university degree than you could ever hope to achieve in a 10 minute assessment.

Nonsense. I can immediately tell how experienced and knowledgeable someone is from just a 2 minute discussion on the IT industry.

Being able to bull**** about industry trends in an interview is not a particularly valuable skill, unless you're employing them to be a cold-calling sales rep.

If you want to twist that into a negative light i.e, to bull**** your way through an interview, I am not going to respond to that any further than this comment; as that is not what I am advocating. Some people do it, just to get the job, that's their decision. However, I am here to help those with genuine zeal in doing well and pursue their dream career by showing a genuine interest in what they enjoy and want to do for a living.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm sorry but I think the OP is trolling

The Job Centre is not there to help graduates, they are there to make sure people do not cheat the system and get benefits for DOING NUFFINK!!!!!!1!!

I cannot believe you used the fact that you are a graduate as a reason to turn down going on a course. Your HOLIER THAN THOU attitude is probably what is preventing you from getting a job.

DEAL WITH IT

I got a 2:2 and quite frankly I don't even put it on my CV anymore. I have to work in ****ty jobs that quite frankly a 16yr old with no qualifications has to do. I don't like it, but its the sign of the times really.

A 2:2 is not worth the paper its written on.

If you spent some time on that call centre job for free, you may have gained some skills that would have enabled you to get other jobs in call centres where YOU GET PAID!!!!1!

Time to forget about your degree mate. If you want to get your feet on the ladder you need to start at the bottom and potentially work your way up.

How about Tesco? They must be employing people for Xmas round about now, so send in your CV and a good cover letter to a few local stores and make sure you follow up by phoning the store's HR department if you don't hear anything within a few weeks.

Law isn't that hard to get a 2.1 in. I would have thought the same would be harder in comp sci.
Reply 37
You live somewhere that jobs don't exist?

Yes
Regarding not been able to get a menial job, where do you live and what jobs have you applied for.

Regarding IT, the competition is significant so you need to set yourself apart. Try make a Youtube video displaying your presentation and high level abilities. Something that you can include with an application and say that while your competition can talk, you can walk.

Being able to successfully sound like you know what you're talking about on the topic of industry trends can, actually, get you a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending