The Student Room Group

The Secret Life of Students on Channel 4

Scroll to see replies

Ben was one of those people you hated at school; the one who got an A and complained it wasn't higher enough -.- but his mum was right - he was arrogant.

I felt bad for Tanya as some of my Uni friends were like that; leaving university as soon as they finished, doing their assignments last minute and barely coping! I'm glad she got on better in Semester 2.

We definitely saw the softer side to Brenda, she did struggle into university life and how to balance work, university and social life (a lot of students do in the first semester). The only part I didn't agree with is her moaning about being confused in lectures so didn't attend (if she got there in time, she probably wouldn't be), I'm not too sure about her outburst about the lecturers needing to attend a public speaking lecture as I've never had a 'proper' lecture before but aren't the lecturers there to guide you? The rest is up to you. I felt sorry for her when she pulled an all nighter to do a project and she ended up having a panic attack at work (some people called her an attention seeker)...

The only things I've learnt while watching it are:
I have nothing to worry about settling into uni.
Leicester is so strict with attendance.
Perhaps it's something to do with ben's mental health, never been good enough, feeling like what you have done isn't enough, the 99% isn't enough classified as failure, everything must be 100% . He sounds a lot like me

Nightworld1066
Original post by iloveteddy14
Perhaps it's something to do with ben's mental health, never been good enough, feeling like what you have done isn't enough, the 99% isn't enough classified as failure, everything must be 100% . He sounds a lot like me

Nightworld1066

He's applying for medicine, places are very competitive and he's already failed to get in 1 year of the Medicine course already. Not sure if you've ever looked at the entry requirements for Medicine courses, but they're crazy high.
Original post by mynameisntdoug
He's applying for medicine, places are very competitive and he's already failed to get in 1 year of the Medicine course already. Not sure if you've ever looked at the entry requirements for Medicine courses, but they're crazy high.

You mean AAA? That's what most want...that's not crazily high.

60% fail to get into medicine every year fyi
Original post by OnionRing
You mean AAA? That's what most want...that's not crazily high.

60% fail to get into medicine every year fyi

AAA is pretty high, no? And still a lot of people with AAA get turned away for people with higher grades.
AAA is pretty high, no? And still a lot of people with AAA get turned away for people with higher grades.

It's high but not crazily high:smile:

Regarding your second part of your post; that's not true. Medical schools turn away applicants from a variety of reasons! Could be grades, could be entry tests, could be personal statement, could be interview etc
Original post by iloveteddy14

Nightworld1066

He was applying for medicine so that probably was the cause of him complaining he didn't get a 'high first' which annoyed me. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't know much about the classification system yet; all I know is the awards) but getting a first regardless it's 'low' or 'high' is still a first.

His mum was right, his arrogant side did show through as there is a fine line between being confident and being arrogant on which he crossed it.

I did like him though, he has got good qualities like helping Brenda with her report and not wanting to ruin his reputation as a doctor etc.
Reply 447
Original post by simplylldxo
He was applying for medicine so that probably was the cause of him complaining he didn't get a 'high first' which annoyed me. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't know much about the classification system yet; all I know is the awards) but getting a first regardless it's 'low' or 'high' is still a first.

When applying for transfer to medicine after a first year science based degree, they tend to ask for a minimum of 80-85% average, with no individual module grade dropping below 60%(ish) which is why he was probably not happy with the specific mark (think he said 70-something, right?).
Original post by TeamFTW
When applying for transfer to medicine after a first year science based degree, they tend to ask for a minimum of 80-85% average, with no individual module grade dropping below 60%(ish) which is why he was probably not happy with the specific mark (think he said 70-something, right?).

Oh right I didn't know that but then again I'm not doing a STEM related degree! I'm sure he would have made up for it by now!
Brenda is such a fool. She needs to sort herself out and stop seeking attention from others. NEWSFLASH: Nobody gives a f**k.

But to put the middle finger up to the government, when they are the ones that made it possible for people like her to go to university is just outrageous. She needs to get her head out of her backside and get on with it.
I suppose it's related to the show as it was a topic but what happens if a student gets into financial trouble and can't pay the rent of their accommodation?
Original post by shaunthing
Brenda is such a fool. She needs to sort herself out and stop seeking attention from others. NEWSFLASH: Nobody gives a f**k.

But to put the middle finger up to the government, when they are the ones that made it possible for people like her to go to university is just outrageous. She needs to get her head out of her backside and get on with it.

Very insensitive of you - not everybody's mummy and daddy can fund their time at uni and as a result if the government withdrawing EMA people like Brenda struggle to support themselves throughout the duration of their course

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suppose it's related to the show as it was a topic but what happens if a student gets into financial trouble and can't pay the rent of their accommodation?

That depends on the uni, often they are lenient and let students live a while without paying rent, as long as they can present a clear plan of how they will pay the rent. Usually student finance **** ups are the most common cause of not being able to pay the rent for the first term, I know people who have lasted til January without paying rent to their uni/accommodation, but I believe that's in pretty rare cases.

I don't think they will be so lenient if you end up shopping and spending all your rent money however.

It depends on the uni. They most likely wont be able to continue to live there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That depends on the uni, often they are lenient and let students live a while without paying rent, as long as they can present a clear plan of how they will pay the rent. Usually student finance **** ups are the most common cause of not being able to pay the rent for the first term, I know people who have lasted til January without paying rent to their uni/accommodation, but I believe that's in pretty rare cases.

I don't think they will be so lenient if you end up shopping and spending all your rent money however.

Original post by HarrietROAR
It depends on the uni. They most likely wont be able to continue to live there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! I suppose that makes sense... Yeah I understand about SFE as one of my friends didn't get his student finance until last month!

So other than being kicked out of their accommodation, they wouldn't get kicked out of Uni?
I managed to find Freshers (the Uni of Beds 2013 one) and I'm watching that now. It's only 3 episodes, and no where near as good as this show.

Still looking for Brenda's Twitter and can't find it. :frown:
Original post by yellowcopter
I managed to find Freshers (the Uni of Beds 2013 one) and I'm watching that now. It's only 3 episodes, and no where near as good as this show.

Still looking for Brenda's Twitter and can't find it. :frown:

Let me know if you find a free version of Episode 3, I can't find it anywhere...
Let me know if you find a free version of Episode 3, I can't find it anywhere...

Can't find it either. :frown: They have Episode 3 on iTunes though, but it's £1.49 and I wouldn't pay to watch it because honestly so far the show isn't worth it.
Original post by yellowcopter
Can't find it either. :frown: They have Episode 3 on iTunes though, but it's £1.49 and I wouldn't pay to watch it because honestly so far the show isn't worth it.

I'd say it's worth it but I'm in the red with iTunes haha
I'd say it's worth it but I'm in the red with iTunes haha

In the red? Why? :tongue:

Well I've only seen Episode 1 so I can't judge yet. I'll watch Episode 2 and if it seems worth it I might buy Episode 3.

Quick Reply

Latest