The Student Room Group

The 2.1 requirement is a joke

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SloaneRanger
The job centre, I saw are offering people the opportunity to train as SIA doormen, Warehouse Operatives (forklift license) or NVQ Carers, there getting £8-10 an hour. All part time jobs and they take on students, heck they take on large numbers of short term migrant workers. In that £25k Im paying halls, some people don't want to work enough. Theres 24 hours in a day, if I need the money I would be happy to work 60-70 hours a week, over HT. No I actually have a dependents, when your dating someone, your obviously have to spend ££. As a student, I wouldn't want my lifestyle diminishing. If your on £15k as a parent at middle age then there is seriously something wrong with you. When a school leaver on certain schemes are on £16-20k basic plus bonus, thats a 16 yo. If you want to aim high, you have to spend big.

It is not practical if you have a family.
Say you have 2 part time jobs:

9-5:30 is one

5:30 till x time is the second.

Sure you make money, but at what expense? You never see your kids? And if you are a single mum, who is going to look after them?

If you are single, and all you want to do in your life is work, and not have a life outside of it - then you know what - that is fine.

Most nursery practitioners are on 15k. Not everyone is going to be on 100k driving a bentley.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fat_hobbit
It is not practical if you have a family.
Say you have 2 part time jobs:

9-5:30 is one

5:30 till x time is the second.

Sure you make money, but at what expense? You never see your kids? And if you are a single mum, who is going to look after them?

If you are single, and all you want to do in your life is work, and not have a life outside of it - then you know what - that is fine.

Most nursery practitioners are on 15k. Not everyone is going to be on 100k driving a bentley.

A nursery worker you mean, glorified child care worker, you just enhanced the title. Only thing you need is a clean CRB, I would be self employed in that situation. Get as many little **** and make £££, bang an add in the paper. They also get tax rebates and working tax credits.
A nursery worker you mean, glorified child care worker, you just enhanced the title. Only thing you need is a clean CRB, I would be self employed in that situation. Get as many little **** and make £££, bang an add in the paper. They also get tax rebates and working tax credits.

They struggle.

I know this ****, interact with them on a regular bases.
They struggle.

I know this ****, interact with them on a regular bases.

They can work more hours or supplement their income... so many part time jobs you can do from home. Avon, Amway...Ann Summers, need I say more
Here's something funny.

I got ADD in my A levels and attend an ex poly. I'm currently on placement at a leading software house. I beat students from Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Warwick. There was only one place and I got it.

A levels mean nothing, unless you want to suck off Satan and become an investment banker. I've turned around my shoddy A level performance. To suggest that the 2.1 requirement is rubbish is a tad disingenuous.
They can work more hours or supplement their income... so many part time jobs you can do from home. Avon, Amway...Ann Summers, need I say more

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2749161
Original post by tommydeaks
Here's something funny.

I got ADD in my A levels and attend an ex poly. I'm currently on placement at a leading software house. I beat students from Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Warwick. There was only one place and I got it.

A levels mean nothing, unless you want to suck off Satan and become an investment banker. I've turned around my shoddy A level performance. To suggest that the 2.1 requirement is rubbish is a tad disingenuous.

what sware house

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2749165

More graduate pain.

Do you know how much swearing and abuse my teacher gets from me, probably every word other i say is one. People need to man up and manage a degree like you would any other for of investment. I went to good universities, so my degrees are far from doss, you just need to spend time. There is enough time for everything if you manage it, personally people that made that kids decisions should be punished. Like i said i believe in physical intervention, people that screw you over need to be punished.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you know how much swearing and abuse my teacher gets from me, probably every word other i say is one. People need to man up and manage a degree like you would any other for of investment. I went to good universities, so my degrees are far from doss, you just need to spend time. There is enough time for everything if you manage it, personally people that made that kids decisions should be punished. Like i said i believe in physical intervention, people that screw you over need to be punished.

Sure.

But some degrees are harder than others.

CS/Medicine at KCL probably requires much more effort.

Something like sociology you can get away with partying hard half of the time, because essays a lot of the time are subjective.
Sure.

But some degrees are harder than others.

CS/Medicine at KCL probably requires much more effort.

Something like sociology you can get away with partying hard half of the time, because essays a lot of the time are subjective.

Still have to read and base and argument, cite and they are hard degrees. The standard goes up the better the institution you attend. The best universities want the best thinkers, not a cabbage.
Still have to read and base and argument, cite and they are hard degrees. The standard goes up the better the institution you attend. The best universities want the best thinkers, not a cabbage.

And yet you blindly accept corporate policies with regards to their selection process.

How ironic.
And yet you blindly accept corporate policies with regards to their selection process.

How ironic.

Best thinkers go to the best universities, get the best A-level grades, win nobel prizes etc. Like as you know they can handle it the pressure, the league tables are representative of that.

How ironic.

You're right.

It is ironic.
Best thinkers go to the best universities, get the best A-level grades, win nobel prizes etc. Like as you know they can handle it the pressure, the league tables are representative of that.

If you want to be an academic, I agree.

But the OP has no intention of becoming one. He just wants a grad job.
If you want to be an academic, I agree.

But the OP has no intention of becoming one. He just wants a grad job.

There are plenty.... teaching, people aren't willing to adapt.
There are plenty.... teaching, people aren't willing to adapt.

But what happens if you just don't want to teach ?
Original post by Zenomorph
But what happens if you just don't want to teach ?

Oh loads, TFL, Crossrail, these are just off the top of my head, they just want grads and they are incredibly well paid. Great companies to work for, pretty much in every sector work for them they are recruiting.
Oh loads, TFL, Crossrail, these are just off the top of my head, they just want grads and they are incredibly well paid. Great companies to work for, pretty much in every sector work for them they are recruiting.

Really ?

Then how come all these people complaining don't apply ?
Original post by Zenomorph
Really ?

Then how come all these people complaining don't apply ?

Tell them too...

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/graduates/default.aspx?cid=fs055

They take just about anyone and there is continous recruitment. Certain people think its below them working for like the tube,lol

http://www.graduates.co.uk/what-do-to-if-you-get-a-22-degree-at-university/
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending