The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
lol at all the people who got money for getting As and Bs at GCSE. I got all As and A*s and my mum was like 'Well they aren't all A*s'

And when I got exam results and they were around 99%. She'd be saying 'well you didn't get full marks' lmfao.

#AsianParent

Me: I got 8 A*s
Dad: how many GCSEs did you do?
Me: More than 8... Why does that matter?
Dad: you should have got them all

Lol, my mum shouted at him
I think the case with mine, is that my mum did not know how to prioritize her money well.

Before the recession, I would go on holidays every year (either with parents, or grandparents, one time staying in a beautiful 5* hotel) but I was never rich, I was more poor due to my mum rarely having enough money to take me places as it was just me and her, (my dad did help, payed me and my mother but he also had a family to help out) and now I'm still living at home until university, my mum can't afford to pay buy me a lot of new clothes or re-buy me gym membership (I been trying for a job but it's hard)

also it wasn't until 2 years ago we finally bought a house after renting all throughout my childhood.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Me: I got 8 A*s
Dad: how many GCSEs did you do?
Me: More than 8... Why does that matter?
Dad: you should have got them all

Lol, my mum shouted at him

Hahah XD. I got told If I failed to get into Imperial I would be disowned from the family. #high pressure
Original post by maths learner
Hahah XD. I got told If I failed to get into Imperial I would be disowned from the family. #high pressure

Not my fault my failing school entered me for like 16 GCSEs so I'd self teach and pass it them all to raise their average lol

Ooooh, thankfully my parents don't mind. Well my dad wants me to go to Cardiff, ngh, but at least there's no pressure because my others are higher ranked I'd say
Not my fault my failing school entered me for like 16 GCSEs so I'd self teach and pass it them all to raise their average lol

Ooooh, thankfully my parents don't mind. Well my dad wants me to go to Cardiff, ngh, but at least there's no pressure because my others are higher ranked I'd say

You'll be fine mate.

At least you're not under immense pressure to get into Oxford! My dad sees every other university as **** in comparison :colonhash:
Original post by TheTechN1304
At least you're not under immense pressure to get into Oxford! My dad sees every other university as **** in comparison :colonhash:

Surprisingly my dad didn't mind that I rejected Cambridge. I think he prefered Imperial because of the fact its better for networking.
Jesus Christ... Woah

The £100 per GCSE :eek: I'd have enough to buy a car easily

Haha :lol: I think I bought a laptop and clothes..
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Were you like

No I wasnt
We lived in 3 countries (2 continents) when I was growing up because of my dad's work. One until I was 5, one until I was 9, then we moved here. We've always been well off, after living in the 1st country, I definitely appreciated what I had, especially regularly seeing slums on the way to places. Never realised then that getting a job in a different country is a big deal, actually never realised that I would end up living in 3 countries at all- least of all here. I think living in a NIC, then an oil rich country, then here does give you a sense of the stark differences in all 3. You also grow more appreciative of what you have, and it instils in you the importance of helping those less fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You'll be fine mate.

Cheers
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Haha :lol: I think I bought a laptop and clothes..

I won't lie... I'd probably spend it on clothes and language books
Poor! I'm £506.00 into my overdraft, I haven't got any money which means my phone contract has been cut off and I now owe O2 a ****load of money and I haven't been able to pay my New Look Store Card off which is at £135 (with interest and arrears) BUT I'm getting £300 on Thursday (which I'll take out of my current account and put it into my new bank account which is a building society) and I'll start paying off New Look then but O2 will have to wait until my Student Finance comes in but I won't pay it off in full as that would leave me with virtually nothing.

All these was my own doing, nobody forced me to act irresponsible with my Student Finance. So I will sort it out myself :smile:
Surprisingly my dad didn't mind that I rejected Cambridge. I think he prefered Imperial because of the fact its better for networking.

? Seriously? How would your dad reach that conclusion? :confused:
I never really had a moment when I realised my family was well-off, as my parents were very open about the fact we had money, and at the same time they made it clear to us (me and my siblings) that not everyone had what we had, so we were never to take it for granted.

I feel blessed for what I have.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
? Seriously? How would your dad reach that conclusion? :confused:

It's in London and puts you more closly alligned with the financial people etc. Cambridge is an amazing uni don't get me wrong. But generally it puts you in contact with those more on the research/academic side of things.
So many stories on this thread about people's families taking a vicious economic battering due to the depression since 2008.

It underlines the reality, that most people are worse off now than then, apart from a tiny number of very rich families, who have gained hugely. This is supposedly a desirable outcome according to the neoliberal politicians and economists who engineered it.
So many stories on this thread about people's families taking a vicious economic battering due to the depression since 2008.

It underlines the reality, that most people are worse off now than then, apart from a tiny number of very rich families, who have gained hugely. This is supposedly a desirable outcome according to the neoliberal politicians and economists who engineered it.

Western economics in general is dying. And will continue to do so. All the rich and smart financial people are moving to the East. Particularly Indonesia and Singapore.
It's in London and puts you more closly alligned with the financial people etc. Cambridge is an amazing uni don't get me wrong. But generally it puts you in contact with those more on the research/academic side of things.

That doesn't sound plausible to me. University networking is about who you do your course with, who you meet at college and their friends. It's not that much to do with where the college is. I know enough about Cambridge to be pretty convinced that the long term networks someone would connect with who studied there would be far more valuable.
Western economics in general is dying. And will continue to do so. All the rich and smart financial people are moving to the East. Particularly Indonesia and Singapore.

It's not just the West - the growth of inequality is almost just as much a phenomenon in Asia as it is here. Read Piketty.
That doesn't sound plausible to me. University networking is about who you do your course with, who you meet at college and their friends. It's not that much to do with where the college is. I know enough about Cambridge to be pretty convinced that the long term networks someone would connect with who studied there would be far more valuable.

If you look at alot of the Cambridge alumni etc, a fair amount relative to Imperial go off to carry on with academics. That's still valuable to have, but from my dad's perspective and in particular the industry he is in having access to the financial capital and all the hedge funds in Mayfair was alot more valuable.

Quick Reply

Latest