The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aishaahmed96
Well done that's awesome :smile:
How did u prepare for the rest of the paper?
the application questions are a nightmare
Feels like the whole paper is jus application :/

Thank you! I did absolutely awful in unit 4 and the practical assessment so thankfully biol5 got my UMS up :teehee:
If I'm being honest, I reckon I got lucky with the rest of it. I don't know if you've done the June 13 BIOL5 paper, but the majority of the questions were "how science works" and interpretation rather than testing actual knowledge, so I was able to figure out a lot of them anyway.
However I found notes off getrevising.co.uk that were very specific and concise- I cant remember which ones they were exactly as I haven't done biology since last summer, but they were much more useful than the textbook (I thought so anyway).
Good luck!
Hi everyone :smile:

Congratulations to those who have secured places for September. I am a grad medic starting in September and am about to sign for a 4 bed flat in Kensington (big rooms and cheap rent) but unfortunately the 4th tenant is dropping out since they've recently learnt that they will be able to buy a property instead. Therefore, we have a spare room we'd like you to fill. If there is anyone out there who is starting in September, or already at Liverpool that needs a room and doesn't want to go into halls, then let me know and we can arrange for you to come and view the house.

Thanks!
Hey- Does anyone on here know how feasible it will be to work on Saturdays while studying, at least for the first 3 years? From personal experience, stats or hearsay?The curriculum will be new but I expect the work load to be more or less the same. Btw I plan to work not out of necessity but for continuity and balance.
Thanks.
When do we hear back about accommodation offers?
Original post by TheYorkist
Hey- Does anyone on here know how feasible it will be to work on Saturdays while studying, at least for the first 3 years? From personal experience, stats or hearsay?The curriculum will be new but I expect the work load to be more or less the same. Btw I plan to work not out of necessity but for continuity and balance.
Thanks.

Should be doable, I think if you manage your time ok then you'll be fine. I've not worked myself, but I have met others at Liverpool and other medical universities who have managed to work and study at the same time - and they have been fine.
Original post by Megamanshah
When do we hear back about accommodation offers?

(For conditional offers) on/very soon after results day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maxxie
Should be doable, I think if you manage your time ok then you'll be fine. I've not worked myself, but I have met others at Liverpool and other medical universities who have managed to work and study at the same time - and they have been fine.

Thanks.
How often do Liverpool accept people who achieve AAB? Im finding the maths exams very difficult this year even though I've worked hard for them... It's very possible I'll end up with a B in maths instead of an A.
I'm resitting too. If I don't get into uni this year I don't know what I'm going to do :frown:
Reply 1708
Original post by Rumschpringe
How often do Liverpool accept people who achieve AAB? Im finding the maths exams very difficult this year even though I've worked hard for them... It's very possible I'll end up with a B in maths instead of an A.
I'm resitting too. If I don't get into uni this year I don't know what I'm going to do :frown:

There's a few AAB students around but it depends on a number of factors, such as how many student meet the entry requirements and if they have any spaces left. If they did have spaces left, I think they'd rank the few AAB individuals considered, according to their interview score. This is just what I think though, might be completely different. I do think if there were AAB students being considered, they'd be first timers and not resitters.
Original post by myyrh
There's a few AAB students around but it depends on a number of factors, such as how many student meet the entry requirements and if they have any spaces left. If they did have spaces left, I think they'd rank the few AAB individuals considered, according to their interview score. This is just what I think though, might be completely different. I do think if there were AAB students being considered, they'd be first timers and not resitters.

What about if they have extenuating circumstances
Do they get considered after those who do better on results day ?
Really hope not :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myyrh

I've just got to try my best with my last maths exam and just hope I guess :smile:
Reply 1711
Original post by aishaahmed96
What about if they have extenuating circumstances
Do they get considered after those who do better on results day ?
Really hope not :/
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really not sure, so I couldn't possibly say, sorry
Original post by Rumschpringe
I've just got to try my best with my last maths exam and just hope I guess :smile:

Yep, Im sure you'll be fine :biggrin:
Hi I have an unconditional offer and I am on my second gap year I'm kind of worried that I will not be able to follow anything after two years of down time. Does any of the current students have any suggestions as to what I should read before September.
Original post by deed1224
Hi I have an unconditional offer and I am on my second gap year I'm kind of worried that I will not be able to follow anything after two years of down time. Does any of the current students have any suggestions as to what I should read before September.

The curriculum will refresh your memory for any essential science in years 1 and 2. If you are worried and really really bored, go over your human biology notes and if you are super-keen and on the verge of suicide from boredom, try some of the recommended anatomy/physiology books in the first post here (for year 1 students).
Can someone please shed some light on this? Although I've read the new curriculum I still don't quite understand it. Will PBL be completely scrapped or reduced? Or will the amount of PBL sessions remain the same while the amount of lectures/plenaries increase? If 'yes' to the last question, does that mean the new year one timetable will be more packed than the previous year's? Not that I'm complaining.
On timetables, does anyone know when we will be getting it?
Original post by TheYorkist
Can someone please shed some light on this? Although I've read the new curriculum I still don't quite understand it. Will PBL be completely scrapped or reduced? Or will the amount of PBL sessions remain the same while the amount of lectures/plenaries increase? If 'yes' to the last question, does that mean the new year one timetable will be more packed than the previous year's? Not that I'm complaining.
On timetables, does anyone know when we will be getting it?

PBL, in name, is being scrapped.

The positive aspects of PBL will carry over into CBL on top of additional things you mentioned.

The timetable as it was, was hardly daunting. If anything, a little (not a lot) more work might actually benefit students in the future.

You will get your timetable during induction week (which is usually the first week of university). Keep an eye out on your university e-mail address.
Do you think, as a Liverpool med student with this new curriculum, students will have time to have a part-time job? My student loan doesn't even cover the rent and (if I even get the grades!) I'm really worried about not having much money to live on. Any advice please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by b.harrison57
Do you think, as a Liverpool med student with this new curriculum, students will have time to have a part-time job? My student loan doesn't even cover the rent and (if I even get the grades!) I'm really worried about not having much money to live on. Any advice please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In short, yes. But whether or not you would want to juggle with one throughout the year is up to you. Especially during exams, the last thing you want to be doing is working night shifts.
Hello! I'm thinking of applying to Liverpool for 2015 entry but am not 100% sure about the GCSE scoring. Do they class English Lang and Lit as 2 separate subject areas? How about Maths and Statistics??
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Hello! I'm thinking of applying to Liverpool for 2015 entry but am not 100% sure about the GCSE scoring. Do they class English Lang and Lit as 2 separate subject areas? How about Maths and Statistics??

English Lang & Lit are separate. I don't know about Statistics and Maths. May be best off dropping them an e-mail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending