The Student Room Group

How important are AS Levels?

I know this is probably a really stupid question, I know they're generally important but I don't know specifically how important.
For example, say you were aiming for a course that wanted AAB, what would you have to get at AS to get an offer?
Reply 1
Depends on several factors.

But think about it this way. Universities around the AAA/AAB mark will get LOADS of applications from AAA/A*AA aspiring students - However many of those students are unlikely to Firm/Insure those university when they reflect on all their applications (Since for many people, a gap year may be more favorable than an AAB uni they put in to make up numbers)

All in all, they can be important but more than possible to get an AAB offer with lets say BBC/BCC & likewise predictions of lets say ABB - Since these students could be considered more likely to firm them (which is the most important part for them) than say an AAA/A*AA potential student - For example, I had a yearmate who got ABBC for AS but still got an offer from Warwick for an A*A*A/A*AA course.
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Depends on several factors.

But think about it this way. Universities around the AAA/AAB mark will get LOADS of applications from AAA/A*AA aspiring students - However many of those students are unlikely to Firm/Insure those university when they reflect on all their applications (Since for many people, a gap year may be more favorable than an AAB uni they put in to make up numbers)

All in all, they can be important but more than possible to get an AAB offer with lets say BBC/BCC & likewise predictions of lets say ABB - Since these students could be considered more likely to firm them (which is the most important part for them) than say an AAA/A*AA potential student - For example, I had a yearmate who got ABBC for AS but still got an offer from Warwick for an A*A*A/A*AA course.

That makes me feel a lot better since I know I messed up one of my subjects :biggrin:
It also depends on the strength of your personal statement and your predicted grades from your teachers. Many people mess up their AS year, universities understand that, so if your teachers have confidence in you and you prove you are a well rounded student, then you'll stand a chance :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest