The Student Room Group

A shocking experience with dentistry/medicine students!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGuyReturns
The number of hissy fit replies this comment has received...

...egos made of glass.

Spoiler

Reasonable replies do not equal hissy fits.

You're just looking for faults in medics/dentists. :tongue: But fair play to you if you want to convince yourself we have egos made of glass - I am sure some of us do.
Original post by Scott.M
Sorry, no offence but you come across as the starry-eyed college kid who thinks they have it all planned out and will be earning a 6-figure salary, and consequentially you feel you have earned the right to sneer at medics and dentists for being idiots to do such a grubby job, for less pay and which takes much longer to qualify for than your job.

However if it was as easy as you think it is to earn that in your chosen field, your chosen degree course would be extremely competitive to get onto as everybody would want to earn that money. The more likely case is that the jobs that pay the 6-figure salary of which you speak are extremely tough to get due to fierce competition, and therefore you better hope you make it to Oxbridge.

I plan to become an actuary, which is not an amazingly competitive field at all really. The catch is being good at maths is essential. The percentage of people who sign up and then give up before they qualify is outstandingly high, I'm fairly certain I saw a statistic that said a good percentage below 50 actually make it to the end. The average exam has a pass rate of around 40%... it pays very well, with great hours.

Not that any of that is even relevant. I was having a rant about how being a doctor or dentist isn't that great when you really think about it, I only mentioned the part in the spoiler so people like you wouldn't message me implying or just outright saying that I'm just jelous or something of the sort. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I plan to become an actuary, which is not an amazingly competitive field at all really. The catch is being good at maths is essential. The percentage of people who sign up and then give up before they qualify is outstandingly high, I'm fairly certain I saw a statistic that said a good percentage below 50 actually make it to the end. The average exam has a pass rate of around 40%... it pays very well, with great hours.

Not that any of that is even relevant. I was having a rant about how being a doctor or dentist isn't that great when you really think about it, I only mentioned the part in the spoiler so people like you wouldn't message me implying or just outright saying that I'm just jelous or something of the sort. :rolleyes:

I looked into being an actuary but was put off due to the high failure rate as you mentioned. I assume you feel sure that you won't be one of those who fail? :tongue:

And it feels like everybody on TSR lately thinks that doctors and dentists wages 'aren't that high when you think about it' - as if everybody on here thinks £61k+ is mediocre and that they will definitely earn more.

The reality is £61k is a very high wage, and will pay for a very nice house, very nice car, private school for your children and no money worries (assuming your partner also has a job).

I think people need to step back into the real world before reality hits them like a train. XD
Original post by Scott.M
I looked into being an actuary but was put off due to the high failure rate as you mentioned. I assume you feel sure that you won't be one of those who fail? :tongue:

And it feels like everybody on TSR lately thinks that doctors and dentists wages 'aren't that high when you think about it' - as if everybody on here thinks £61k+ is mediocre and that they will definitely earn more.

The reality is £61k is a very high wage, and will pay for a very nice house, very nice car, private school for your children and no money worries (assuming your partner also has a job).

I think people need to step back into the real world before reality hits them like a train. XD

It depends on what you already have and where you live. Obviously if you already own a house, furniture and a car, 61k is fantastic. For someone like me, who lives in London and owns nothing (and wants to keep living in London, in my own place), taking a look at Zoopla, salary after tax calculators, mortgage statistics and cost of living statistics makes the situation look unbelievably dire. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scott.M
A few facts about you:

-You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder at dentists. A quick look at your profile shows all of your posts on TSR are on dentistry-related threads where you say how they hardly earn a thing etc. The fact you have no posts on non-dentistry related threads suggests you have actively sought out dentistry-related threads just to bash dentists

-Apparently there is 'no money' in dentistry, yet you acknowledge they earn £61k per year. Hmm

You're very sad. You have some hatred of dentists, when guess what? Most dentists couldn't care less about you and other medics, and most medics couldn't care less about dentists. Only a few take the supposed rivarly seriously, and even less are sad enough to let it develop into a full-blown hatred as you seem to have done.

I doubt you are even a medic, part of me thinks you're a bitter, failed dentistry applicant. Few medics come across as idiotic as you and type like a rudeboi 'yh mate'.

Just to set a few things straight:

-Dentists have to do a DF1 year (and soon also DF2) before they are qualified to be GDPs

-We get taught CPR and probably use it as often as you will once you're qualified and in the real world. You think GPs spend their time resuscitating people?

-You think dentists don't save lives? An untreated tooth infection leads to death. Prior to dentists being around, one of the leading causes of death was dental abscesses

-Also, what is the difference between saving somebody's life by resuscitation (i.e. before they are in immediate danger of death), or by preventative measures before they are in immediate danger of death? Is one really more heroic than the other? Judging by the way you come across it probably will be in your eyes - but in reality nah.

-Dentists are the first to spot oral cancer - which has a very low survival rate if left untreated

-Dentists improve people's quality of life - both cosmetically and functionally (without any teeth or dentures, people become malnourished due to not eating correctly)

-Idk where you got the crap that a dentist's lab fees are £20k per year

-The era of GPs being highly respected professionals unable of doing wrong in the public's eyes is gone. This is due to long waiting times, coming under increasing criticism in national press about things such as not spotting cancer, and their high earnings leaving a sour taste in the middle of a recession

Get your facts right before trying to impose your dislike of dentists on others.

Although to somebody who knows what they're talking about, watching you talk utter crap that you have obviously convinced yourself to be true whilst displaying your weird, irrational hatred of dentists is funny to watch :tongue:

Ur rudeness speaks miles about you. I was never rude in my posts to anyone however you just came in like a wasteman

Firstly yes. Alot of my posts are on dentistry related threads. Whats wrong with that? I have an interest in the differences between the earning/ lifestyles of doctors and dentists and believe that there a whole lot of misconceptions relating to the supposed wealth of dentists. Im just coming in with the facts. You can makeup ur own mind

Secondly i am a medical student, not really sure how i can prove that to you.

Dentists currently only have to do VT1 to be qualified. It not soon to be VT2 as currently the government cannot afford extending the VT training.

Also dont give me that bull**** about dentists saving lives and doing cpr. That may happen, but it will most definitely not make the bulk of your life as a dentist. The vast majority of your day/ everyday will be cleaning teeth/ doing fillings

If you read the full report for dentist working around 40 hours a week. the lab expenses come to about 17k

"-The era of GPs being highly respected professionals unable of doing wrong in the public's eyes is gone. This is due to long waiting times, coming under increasing criticism in national press about things such as not spotting cancer, and their high earnings leaving a sour taste in the middle of a recession"- Hahahahahha the daily mail was made for people like you, all GPs have collectively decided to miss cancer, and the cash stripped NHS has decided to increase their earnings as a result. Get real.
Original post by Thewildcat
Ur rudeness speaks miles about you. I was never rude in my posts to anyone however you just came in like a wasteman

Firstly yes. Alot of my posts are on dentistry related threads. Whats wrong with that? I have an interest in the differences between the earning/ lifestyles of doctors and dentists and believe that there a whole lot of misconceptions relating to the supposed wealth of dentists. Im just coming in with the facts. You can makeup ur own mind

Secondly i am a medical student, not really sure how i can prove that to you.

Dentists currently only have to do VT1 to be qualified. It not soon to be VT2 as currently the government cannot afford extending the VT training.

Also dont give me that bull**** about dentists saving lives and doing cpr. That may happen, but it will most definitely not make the bulk of your life as a dentist. The vast majority of your day/ everyday will be cleaning teeth/ doing fillings

If you read the full report for dentist working around 40 hours a week. the lab expenses come to about 17k

"-The era of GPs being highly respected professionals unable of doing wrong in the public's eyes is gone. This is due to long waiting times, coming under increasing criticism in national press about things such as not spotting cancer, and their high earnings leaving a sour taste in the middle of a recession"- Hahahahahha the daily mail was made for people like you, all GPs have collectively decided to miss cancer, and the cash stripped NHS has decided to increase their earnings as a result. Get real.

Dentists don't clean teeth, thats what hygienists do.
Why don't you say what you actually think about dentists instead of sugar coating it?
Enjoy having absolutely no life for the next 15 years and being treated like ****e by highers in hospitals
Original post by alevelzzz
Dentists don't clean teeth, thats what hygienists do.
Why don't you say what you actually think about dentists instead of sugar coating it?
Enjoy having absolutely no life for the next 15 years and being treated like ****e by highers in hospitals

No1 can go to a hygienist without first seeing a dentist. If i just wanted a cleaning, i couldn't go to the hygienist.

What are you talking about. I never disliked dentists, my sister is a dentist. All i said was that people who think dentistry is all about fast cars and money (pretty much like you alevelzzz) need to get a reality check and realise what dentistry actually is before life hits them in the face. If you love the job of a dentist and dont want an active role in saving their life, then dentistry is the ideal career for you. It has patient contact and a good income of 60-70k. If you just want money then you wont find that in dentistry, the finance world is where you want to go.

I want to be a GP so its only a few years post med school, however if i wanted to be a consultant, then i would have no problem being treated like sh*** by them in order to learn the skills required to get to the top. You cannot aim to be the master without first being the apprentice. Its sad that dentists have forgotten that tradition of learning on the job in their simplistic career. REAL medicine is far far more complex than a simple 5 year undergrad...
No1 can go to a hygienist without first seeing a dentist. If i just wanted a cleaning, i couldn't go to the hygienist.

What are you talking about. I never disliked dentists, my sister is a dentist. All i said was that people who think dentistry is all about fast cars and money (pretty much like you alevelzzz) need to get a reality check and realise what dentistry actually is before life hits them in the face. If you love the job of a dentist and dont want an active role in saving their life, then dentistry is the ideal career for you. It has patient contact and a good income of 60-70k. If you just want money then you wont find that in dentistry, the finance world is where you want to go.

I want to be a GP so its only a few years post med school, however if i wanted to be a consultant, then i would have no problem being treated like sh*** by them in order to learn the skills required to get to the top. You cannot aim to be the master without first being the apprentice. Its sad that dentists have forgotten that tradition of learning on the job in their simplistic career. REAL medicine is far far more complex than a simple 5 year undergrad...

There is your actual opinion of dentistry. Go tell an oral surgeon or max fax that dentistry is not real medicine. I bet there are surgeons who say being a GP is not a REAL doctor. If it was so simplistic then why would entry requirements to dentistry be the same as to medicine?

I haven't decided what I want to do. medicine and dentistry are both still options. Dentistry encompasses a lot of different things into one career - autonomy, salary, status, good working hours and scope for a business side. It has its disadvantages and advantages to medicine. I simply hate it when a medic thinks they're 'above' dentistry despite nowadays dentistry being equally difficult for entry to medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 208
i think medicene/dentistry is ben harper! and we all know who he was!! so i think that will be your fate!
Reply 209
well to be fair, a lot of people who initially wanted to do medicine end up doing biomed when they realise they are not getting the grades had a few cases like that in my school. So no not everyone doing those subjects are failed doctors... but a fair few are.
There is your actual opinion of dentistry. Go tell an oral surgeon or max fax that dentistry is not real medicine. I bet there are surgeons who say being a GP is not a REAL doctor. If it was so simplistic then why would entry requirements to dentistry be the same as to medicine?

I haven't decided what I want to do. medicine and dentistry are both still options. Dentistry encompasses a lot of different things into one career - autonomy, salary, status, good working hours and scope for a business side. It has its disadvantages and advantages to medicine. I simply hate it when a medic thinks they're 'above' dentistry despite nowadays dentistry being equally difficult for entry to medicine.

Who cares about what it takes to get into dental/med school. It takes A*AA to study math at imperial. It takes 3A* to study anything at oxbridge. Whats your point? Im talking about the ACTUAL career of a dentist vs doctor. And the fact is that a dentist is fully independent straight out of school whereas a doctor is just beginning on the journey of something much grander. An oral surgeon/ max fax is not a dentist. Neither is an orthodontist a dentist. All require postgrad exams/ more training to get to and are thus higher than dentists. Therefore doctors (who also require more than an undergrad) are thus higher than dentists. end of story
(edited 9 years ago)

If you want to be pedantic then fine, a FY1 junior doctor is equivalent to a dentist. But the moment he becomes an SHO they are no longer the same
Reply 212
Dont be offended, and dont be afraid to be like them either. There's two types of people in this world, I'd rather be the medical student than the reject doing a lesser course.
Who cares about what it takes to get into dental/med school. It takes A*AA to study math at imperial. It takes 3A* to study anything at oxbridge. Whats your point? Im talking about the ACTUAL career of a dentist vs doctor. And the fact is that a dentist is fully independent straight out of school whereas a doctor is just beginning on the journey of something much grander. An oral surgeon/ max fax is not a dentist. Neither is an orthodontist a dentist. All require postgrad exams/ more training to get to and are thus higher than dentists. Therefore doctors (who also require more than an undergrad) are thus higher than dentists. end of story

'higher' REALLY?
Is that how you view people? Do you think a surgeon is 'higher' than a GP?
Yes they require extra training but its still an incredibly insulting way to view people

Absolutely ridiculous.
So many medics/dental students or wannabe medics/dental students feeding OP's views :rofl:

'higher' REALLY?
Yes they require extra training but its still an incredibly insulting way to view people

Absolutely ridiculous.

He's an idiot not worthy of your time lol.

He didn't read anything I said in my post and instead just responded with more anti-dentist crap.

He thinks GPs spend their lives doing heroic resuscitations. :tongue:

It depends on what you already have and where you live. Obviously if you already own a house, furniture and a car, 61k is fantastic. For someone like me, who lives in London and owns nothing (and wants to keep living in London, in my own place), taking a look at Zoopla, salary after tax calculators, mortgage statistics and cost of living statistics makes the situation look unbelievably dire. :frown:

Not worth living in London unless you work there. Ridiculous cost of living and properties, and high crime from what I have heard off my friend who lives there.
'higher' REALLY?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Yes surgeons are higher than GPs in terms of their position in the healthcare system and the academic requirement necessary to get to that stage. Does that mean GPs/Dentists are not important? No, ofcourse they are. They are just as important as the surgeons but the speciality is academically more taxing than becoming a GP/Dentist.
Thing is I always talk like that about art degrees etc and make fun of my friends who do that sort of thing. I don't really look down upon it though it's just an easy way to have a laugh and poke fun at people. I'm like 1cm under 6ft but my housemates were 6'2, 6'3 and 6'3 so I always got made fun of for being short.

Maybe they were genuinely just bumholes but there is a significant chance their humour just went slightly over your head.
hg
Original post by Scott.M
A few facts about you:

-You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder at dentists. A quick look at your profile shows all of your posts on TSR are on dentistry-related threads where you say how they hardly earn a thing etc. The fact you have no posts on non-dentistry related threads suggests you have actively sought out dentistry-related threads just to bash dentists

No. I just have an interest in the differences
between doctors and dentist and the misconceptions based around what dentistry is like. If you dont like it you dont have to listen

-Apparently there is 'no money' in dentistry, yet you acknowledge they earn £61k per year. Hmm

There is money, but nowhere near enough if you want a life of just money, unlike the misconceptions some people have

You're very sad. You have some hatred of dentists, when guess what? Most dentists couldn't care less about you and other medics, and most medics couldn't care less about dentists. Only a few take the supposed rivarly seriously, and even less are sad enough to let it develop into a full-blown hatred as you seem to have done.

I doubt you are even a medic, part of me thinks you're a bitter, failed dentistry applicant. Few medics come across as idiotic as you and type like a rudeboi 'yh mate'.

Lol coz saying "yh mate" makes you a hillbilly

Just to set a few things straight:

-Dentists have to do a DF1 year (and soon also DF2) before they are qualified to be GDPs

Current predictions suggest it wont get to df2 anytime soon due to the economic climate of the uk

-We get taught CPR and probably use it as often as you will once you're qualified and in the real world. You think GPs spend their time resuscitating people?

The only time u'll be doing cpr is if a person happens to go into arrest or VT on the chair. Definitely not as common as you think it will be. Gps don't do cpr all the time (except ofcourse in the same situition as the dentist) but you do have an active role in saving someones life e.g. managing diabetes, CHD, hypertension, high cholestrol, peripheral vascular disease, stroke ect....list goes on

-You think dentists don't save lives? An untreated tooth infection leads to death. Prior to dentists being around, one of the leading causes of death was dental abscesses

Hahahaha. The likelyhood of you dying from a dental abscess is ridiculously rare. The only way you can die acutely is if the abscess blocks the airways, which is again, very rare. Otherwise the infection spreading to the point of killing you is rare unless ofcourse you are totally immunocompromised and have multiple co-mobidities . There is some research which suggests that peridontal disease can cause infective endocarditis, but again, rare

-Also, what is the difference between saving somebody's life by resuscitation (i.e. before they are in immediate danger of death), or by preventative measures before they are in immediate danger of death? Is one really more heroic than the other? Judging by the way you come across it probably will be in your eyes - but in reality nah.

No. But if u think u'll be resuscitating day in day out, u'll be suprised

-Dentists are the first to spot oral cancer - which has a very low survival rate if left untreated

First to spot it, but then you refer it to the surgeons like GPs

-Dentists improve people's quality of life - both cosmetically and functionally (without any teeth or dentures, people become malnourished due to not eating correctly)

-Idk where you got the crap that a dentist's lab fees are £20k per year

HSCIC website

-The era of GPs being highly respected professionals unable of doing wrong in the public's eyes is gone. This is due to long waiting times, coming under increasing criticism in national press about things such as not spotting cancer, and their high earnings leaving a sour taste in the middle of a recession

LOL- The dailymail must hate me for arguing with their most loyal customers

Get your facts right before trying to impose your dislike of dentists on others.

Although to somebody who knows what they're talking about, watching you talk utter crap that you have obviously convinced yourself to be true whilst displaying your weird, irrational hatred of dentists is funny to watch :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest