The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by M150
Ah, yes that's what I read before. Hmm, that's annoying - I'm still keeping an eye out for Warwick's entry requirements this year - bloody frustrating that they still haven't finalised their entry requirements yet.

Did you get a 61 both ways with the GAMSAT? Pretty sure George's use both ways to rank you.

I know, right? Especially with the September GAMSAT deadline coming up. I doubt I'll sit it again -- I think I should be safe enough. I had thought that they'd have updated it by now, but I guess it'll happen some time next month.

Yeah, I get 61 both ways. I mean with regards to section minimums. If it's 55 in each section, I reckon the overall cut-off will be similar to how it was for 2013 entry, which was 56 overall. The way it was calculated last year, with 50 minimum in each section, it was 60. That puts me on the borderline. Personally, I'd prefer them to stick to the former rather than the latter, but it's obviously out of my control and wishes. If I had 62, I wouldn't care at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I'm planning to apply to SGUL too...sitting the GAMSAT in September though, so not sitting on a score. I finished my degree two months ago and have been prepping pretty solidly since, but still quite nervous about how much there is to learn.

To add my opinion about the cost of accommodation, I must say I was quite surprised at the cost of halls at SGUL...in my first year at UCL I paid £130 per week for halls in zone 1. Granted that was 4 years ago, but I was shocked at halls in zone 3 being more expensive than my current zone 2 flat. Other than that I was surprised at how much I liked Tooting...especially the lido! I was at an open day on a really grey and rainy day, and I still really liked Tooting and George's.
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to TSR :cool:

I'm planning on applying to SGUL GEP 2015 too! I'm sitting the gamsat this september for the first time, but I've been revising pretty hard so I hope I meet the cut off. SGUL is my first choice so I'm pretty excited about getting the process started!
Reply 23
Welcome to the thread

Yep, the Open Day I went to was on an awful day. I was drenched on my way in!! Tooting is similar to East London. You have your bad bits and your trendy bits. It might be a slight culture shock from UCL but I'm sure you'll cope :tongue:
Sup, I'm also looking at Georges for 2015.

I wasn't able to attend an open day but I have been to Tooting and the hospital numerous times (family member had a freakin brain operation just before christmas). So, I do have a general idea of the area (and the neurology wing...) but not much about anything else to do with the site. Are all the teaching facilities within the hospital orrrr?

Getting a bit stressed about GAMSAT, been so busy with job applications, trying to get volunteer work experience, among other family issues that i've not done much work fot it at all. How intense is the chemistry/physics? They are the only parts I'm not very confident about. My mental maths for physics sucks and I've not properly addressed physics since GCSE and only had some specific biochemistry elements to my previous degree (Marine biology).

Edit: While I'm here, if you screw up the GAMSAT and get a crapty result, are you stuck with that for 2 years? It says your score is valid for two, given the astronomical price though surely they don't turn you away if you needed to resit for a second applicaton (say if applying for 2016 instead).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Amphiprion

Edit: While I'm here, if you screw up the GAMSAT and get a crapty result, are you stuck with that for 2 years? It says your score is valid for two, given the astronomical price though surely they don't turn you away if you needed to resit for a second applicaton (say if applying for 2016 instead).

Your score is valid for two years but you can sit it at any of the available opportunities. You just need to let UCAS know which score you will be using.
If you screw up in Sept, then sit the GAMSAT Ireland in March (I'm almost certain all the medical schools take it as well as the UK one) as then you'd be applying with scores in hand.
Original post by Zorg
Your score is valid for two years but you can sit it at any of the available opportunities. You just need to let UCAS know which score you will be using.
If you screw up in Sept, then sit the GAMSAT Ireland in March (I'm almost certain all the medical schools take it as well as the UK one) as then you'd be applying with scores in hand.

Sit it [GAMSAT Ireland] in March 2015 for Sept. 2015 entry? Surely that would be too late as interviews etc are in Jan/feb from what I gather?
Reply 27
Original post by Amphiprion
Sit it [GAMSAT Ireland] in March 2015 for Sept. 2015 entry? Surely that would be too late as interviews etc are in Jan/feb from what I gather?

He meant for 2016 entry.
Original post by Tabris
He meant for 2016 entry.

Makes sense, just wanted clarification :cool: :wink:
Reply 29
I may have sent one too many emails without checking for reply (oops). Anyway I just got this back RE: 2015 cut-offs.

Reply 30
Original post by Tabris
I may have sent one too many emails without checking for reply (oops). Anyway I just got this back RE: 2015 cut-offs.

Hmm, sure it was 55 minimums a few weeks ago. I wish there was a deadline everywhere had to set their entry requirements by - would make things easier for applicants.
Reply 31
Original post by M150
Hmm, sure it was 55 minimums a few weeks ago. I wish there was a deadline everywhere had to set their entry requirements by - would make things easier for applicants.

It says so in the 2015 prospectus, but their website has never changed.

It could just be down to miscommunication between staff or something, where the people writing the prospectus are still using information that is old, maybe. :iiam:

You'll be fine anyway, you have a high GAMSAT score, don't you? I'm on the borderline :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)

Love all these FOI requests popping up! That's not soooo bad then - 1 in 4-ish interviewed, and then from interviewees, again 1 in 4ish made an offer. Cut-off last year was 60 wasn't it?
Reply 34
Original post by buttoned.up
Love all these FOI requests popping up! That's not soooo bad then - 1 in 4-ish interviewed, and then from interviewees, again 1 in 4ish made an offer. Cut-off last year was 60 wasn't it?

Yeah, it was.

Since the section minimums and interview numbers are to be the same this year and I think SGUL have already met the targeted cut in numbers intended for the course, those figures should be somewhat representative of this year as well.

~300 interviews from 1300 applications as well. I don't know why, but I'd have thought that the number of applications would be higher. From previous sittings, it's felt like at least half that number of people are at one test centre alone. Throw in the other test centres, people with scores in hand and most people who apply to GAMSAT unis going for multiples (because it isn't cost effective otherwise), I'd have thought the numbers would have been higher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahh, I'll be applying for George's GEP 2015 entry as well.
Already been there for 3 years, so I know the area and place quite well :smile:
Original post by MiloMilo
Hello everyone,

I might be slightly early, but thought it would be a good idea to set-up a thread for all applicants looking to apply to the St. George's University of London GEM programme this October!

Over the next few months, I am sure the discussion will be largely just everyone introducing themselves. So, I think I will start off!:

I am a pre-registration pharmacist :smile: I am quite fortunate in that I have already sat my GAMSAT, however that just means I have more time to worry about interviews! So, I will soon be getting loads of strange looks when practicing in front of my mirror with a hairbrush...

I will be looking to keep this post updated with any recent news and updates that arise over the course of the admissions process. I will try very hard to keep this up-to-date myself, but may need prompting by anyone who spots anything looking a bit outdated!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello! Im currently a student a St georges, about to go into final year biomed. Im thinking of applying to sr georges again for the gep programme. Im really nervous about the gamsat! Any advice? 😊
Reply 37
Original post by jv.lalloo
Hello! Im currently a student a St georges, about to go into final year biomed. Im thinking of applying to sr georges again for the gep programme. Im really nervous about the gamsat! Any advice? 😊

Just prepare well. Get A Level revision books, work hard and develop strategies for overcoming the time constraints. Tailor your strategies to your strengths and weaknesses. If you're bad at physics, have the confidence to guess them and move on. You have to see the bigger picture. You cannot get 100%, so embrace that and think about optimising your score instead. Always think, is there an easier question on the next page?
Reply 38
Someone, somewhere mentioned SGUL ask for letters of proof for work experience. Could anyone here confirm or nullify this? I trust you chaps more :wink:

All of my other choices need only contact details which seems much more reasonable.
Reply 39
Original post by Zorg
Someone, somewhere mentioned SGUL ask for letters of proof for work experience. Could anyone here confirm or nullify this? I trust you chaps more :wink:

All of my other choices need only contact details which seems much more reasonable.

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/courses/after-youve-applied/information-for-candidates-invited-to-interview/mbbs4
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/courses/after-youve-applied/information-for-candidates-invited-to-interview/admissions-brochure-information-for-candidates-coming-to-interview-2014-entry.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending