The Student Room Group

Signing off Job Seekers Allowance and signing back on again?

I've been on JSA for 3 weeks, and after a few meetings with work coaches etc, they all highly recommended I find work experience. I arranged some for next week, and now I've found out that because it's the same week as my sign-on which I cannot attend at all (I'll be over 2 hours away), my claim will be affected.

I am also going away for 2 weeks in August. Would I be better signing off benefits and signing back on if I still have no work after August? Rather than taking the hit of no money for the week I'm on work experience. Or will this affect my claim further?

I will be reprimanded for missing the sign-on session anyway, is it worth the hassle?

Is there any requirments for a waiting time after signing off?

My reason would be, number 1 - work experience, and number 2: unavailable for work later in August.
You're on work experience in order to help you obtain a job, if they ask you to sign off or are telling you there will be an issue with your claim, complain as that's not right.

As for you going on holiday, yeah sign off then sign on again.
Reply 2
Original post by GeorgieGee
I've been on JSA for 3 weeks, and after a few meetings with work coaches etc, they all highly recommended I find work experience. I arranged some for next week, and now I've found out that because it's the same week as my sign-on which I cannot attend at all (I'll be over 2 hours away), my claim will be affected.

I am also going away for 2 weeks in August. Would I be better signing off benefits and signing back on if I still have no work after August? Rather than taking the hit of no money for the week I'm on work experience. Or will this affect my claim further?

I will be reprimanded for missing the sign-on session anyway, is it worth the hassle?

Is there any requirments for a waiting time after signing off?

My reason would be, number 1 - work experience, and number 2: unavailable for work later in August.

You'd be able to go through a rapid reclaim so it would be very simple to quickly sign back on.
Original post by GeorgieGee

I am also going away for 2 weeks in August.

How do you have enough money to go on holiday for two weeks when you're on JSA?
Reply 4
Original post by Pectorac

I should think he's being supported by his parents.
Reply 5

What's it got to do with you? lol

People who are on Jobseekers are allowed to save their money you know and spend it how they wish.
Original post by OllieDS
What's it got to do with you? lol

People who are on Jobseekers are allowed to save their money you know and spend it how they wish.

So they moan about living on 'only' £53 a week, but can go on holiday for a fortnight. Right...
Reply 7
So they moan about living on 'only' £53 a week, but can go on holiday for a fortnight. Right...

Who said this person is paying for it all?

They're allowed to do what they want with their money also.

You're assuming too many factors then judging, very poor on your behalf.

I'm no tech-whizz so have no idea how to group together all your comments.

I'm not one to moan about my jobseekers, it's low for a reason right...

(plus even I wonder how people manage to keep up drug addictions etc on it!)

I didn't pay for this 'holiday', my parents did as it was to be at my cousins wedding, and booked last year. Plus it was in NI and raining the whole week. Not exactly my first choice for holiday destination.
Reply 9
Dear Whoever you are, I am in a fortunate position myself financially, so no complaints from me, BUT...
My daughter has been very ill with depression and unemployed for a long time. A vicious circle. I know from her circumstances how really difficult it is to just survive on JSA. I really despise those people who seem to classify all people on JSA as scroungers, layabouts and worse. Of course there may be some, but Ive known them in my working life as well, people who take a wage and then do as little as possible. Most people on JSA are unlucky and the last thing they need is to be labelled in this way. We should help and encourage them, try to keep up their morale, Remember all you haters,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending