The Student Room Group

Applying to American Colleges

Sup,
Sorry, this is my first post so if there are any technical mistakes or whatever, that's why.
I'm just calling out for anyone who could give me advice on my applications to applications to American Colleges, and whether realistically I should be going for them:
iGCSEs: 6A*s
GCSEs: 2A*s, 2As
IB: Predicted 42 with straight 7s in HLs (Philosophy, Biology, Chemistry)
I will take ACT and SAT II in Biology and Chemistry (hopefully following the same trend).
As far as ECs go, I do Rugby for my school's 1st team, and also for my local club. I have won both 'Player of the Season' and 'Most Improved'.
I play Snare Drum, Flute, and Drum Kit, all grade 8.
Head Percussionist for my school's Orchestra, and also perform in a marching band.
So essentially my plan is to go early actions for Harvard (if you never try, the answer will always be no… y'know) and from there I can decide where else to apply.
I'm thinking, as far as timing goes, to have all the exams finished by October, done some international work (I like the idea of voluntarily working in some kind of animal shelter possibly), doing everything else required for the admissions process (along with some other nice stuff; not too sure yet but perhaps some kind of internship or extra course for philosophy), then going for an interview.
Any feedback would be much appreciated. I don't want to do what a lot of others do on here (try to sell themselves to other members of TSR as opposed to focusing what actually needs to be done) so I'm thinking practically here.
Many thanks
Original post by LucasKovacs
Sup,
Sorry, this is my first post so if there are any technical mistakes or whatever, that's why.
I'm just calling out for anyone who could give me advice on my applications to applications to American Colleges, and whether realistically I should be going for them:
iGCSEs: 6A*s
GCSEs: 2A*s, 2As
IB: Predicted 42 with straight 7s in HLs (Philosophy, Biology, Chemistry)
I will take ACT and SAT II in Biology and Chemistry (hopefully following the same trend).
As far as ECs go, I do Rugby for my school's 1st team, and also for my local club. I have won both 'Player of the Season' and 'Most Improved'.
I play Snare Drum, Flute, and Drum Kit, all grade 8.
Head Percussionist for my school's Orchestra, and also perform in a marching band.
So essentially my plan is to go early actions for Harvard (if you never try, the answer will always be no… y'know) and from there I can decide where else to apply.
I'm thinking, as far as timing goes, to have all the exams finished by October, done some international work (I like the idea of voluntarily working in some kind of animal shelter possibly), doing everything else required for the admissions process (along with some other nice stuff; not too sure yet but perhaps some kind of internship or extra course for philosophy), then going for an interview.
Any feedback would be much appreciated. I don't want to do what a lot of others do on here (try to sell themselves to other members of TSR as opposed to focusing what actually needs to be done) so I'm thinking practically here.
Many thanks

Hey, I noticed you didn't get any responses. I private messaged you because I'm doing the same thing as you! Reply when you can.

I think that everything you're planning on doing is great for US colleges.
Reply 2
You would probably do well to hire a consultant. Expensive, but will probably benefit you in the long run. Otherwise, you're making random decisions on the basis of second hand information about a situation you actually know very little about.
Reply 3
Hey,
It also really helps to call up the college and ask what they want, and what they look for in applications, normally they will be really helpful and willing to give pointers. :smile: good luck with your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that you have a good chance - but remember nothing is guaranteed. Also, it is easier to get into oxbridge - so put a lot of focus on this!

You need to do some research yourself - you will get a better understanding. Check out the official college board website and also college confidential.

Original post by Clip
You would probably do well to hire a consultant. Expensive, but will probably benefit you in the long run. Otherwise, you're making random decisions on the basis of second hand information about a situation you actually know very little about.

Do you have any recommendations? Have you used one yourself? I'm looking for one for transfer admissions...
Original post by Ismira
Hey,
It also really helps to call up the college and ask what they want, and what they look for in applications, normally they will be really helpful and willing to give pointers. :smile: good luck with your application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, did you do this personally? If so, who did you call?
Reply 6
Original post by JayJay-C19
Hey, did you do this personally? If so, who did you call?

Yea, I didn't apply to Harvard tho.
When I called my college just call up the admissions office with your questions.
I didn't have as much difficulty as I'm and american citizen so can still apply as a us applicant but I notice that Harvard specifically has a UK section so they will definitely be able to help and offer advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ismira
Yea, I didn't apply to Harvard tho.
When I called my college just call up the admissions office with your questions.
I didn't have as much difficulty as I'm and american citizen so can still apply as a us applicant but I notice that Harvard specifically has a UK section so they will definitely be able to help and offer advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Harvard Club of the UK. I am applying to Princeton and Penn too, to name a couple.
Reply 8
Original post by JayJay-C19
Hey, I noticed you didn't get any responses. I private messaged you because I'm doing the same thing as you! Reply when you can.

I think that everything you're planning on doing is great for US colleges.

Yo,
Haha thanks man. I was feeling a bit lonely. I checked my inbox and didn't get anything… try again? I think it would be mutually beneficial if we both had a second opinion on this kinda stuff :biggrin:
Original post by LucasKovacs
Yo,
Haha thanks man. I was feeling a bit lonely. I checked my inbox and didn't get anything… try again? I think it would be mutually beneficial if we both had a second opinion on this kinda stuff :biggrin:

Aha, apologies for your loneliness; I have tried again!
Hi, i have applied to an American College too... its the money issue that's the hard part unless you get a full ride scholarship which are rare really!
Your grades are awesome though, you should look into Yale and UPenn too :biggrin:
Good Luck
Original post by talliejayne
Hi, i have applied to an American College too... its the money issue that's the hard part unless you get a full ride scholarship which are rare really!
Your grades are awesome though, you should look into Yale and UPenn too :biggrin:
Good Luck

Thank you :smile: everyone seems to be so worried about the money when I feel as though it isn't really a big problem. I come from a relatively modest background (financially), and there will be many others who are much worse off than us, but that doesn't stop the Ivies throwing statistics of how many bursaries they give. Having had a look at Harvard, for example, they offer need-blind bursaries to all applicants- including international, thankfully. I think they would take anyone regardless of finances- the real issue is being someone they'd want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending