The Student Room Group

'Assets' to a good Economics University application

Hi all,

I have a friend who is 'seriously' into Economics, I mean he reads books about it in his spare time, he has created an Economics Computer Model in the past, etc.

He is in Year 11, going into Year 12 in September, one year old than me.

I hope to go into the same thing as him, but I look at him, and I see all the things I am not doing, all of the things that I perhaps should be doing, but I am not, because I don't really have any 'vision' or 'direction': I know what I want to go into (Banking, hedge fund, etc.) but I have not done a lot of the things that he has done.

I am know considering Finance / Accounting. Perhaps this might be a better option for me?

My GCSE predicted grades are quite good, etc., but I am not doing the things that will make him stand out from the university applicants crowd....

My question is this: does wider reading about Economics, in-depth research, writing of articles in journals, and advanced modelling help in the university application?

On the contrary, he hasn't done a few of the basic things you should: DofE for example, and sports; he doesn't really do many sporting activities.

I really am confused, can someone help me please?

Thanks!
Anyone?
Reply 2
He sounds like he's super smart and will be aiming for top universities. If he's the hard-line academic you say he is, he won't have to worry about not doing DofE. DofE is overrated anyway - there are quite a few articles out there (even on TSR) that say stuff like DofE is overly cliche'd by now.

You seem a little young to be worrying about university applications. Get your head down and get some A*s at GCSE, that's the only solid advice we can give you now.

Don't try to force yourself to do anything in terms of reading, you might just bore yourself out of the finance field altogether. I remember trying to read a 'guide to the economy' type book in Year 10, the only interesting chapter was on stocks and shares, and the rest I couldn't even get through. It was kinda off-putting.
Original post by NikolaT
He sounds like he's super smart and will be aiming for top universities. If he's the hard-line academic you say he is, he won't have to worry about not doing DofE. DofE is overrated anyway - there are quite a few articles out there (even on TSR) that say stuff like DofE is overly cliche'd by now.

You seem a little young to be worrying about university applications. Get your head down and get some A*s at GCSE, that's the only solid advice we can give you now.

Don't try to force yourself to do anything in terms of reading, you might just bore yourself out of the finance field altogether. I remember trying to read a 'guide to the economy' type book in Year 10, the only interesting chapter was on stocks and shares, and the rest I couldn't even get through. It was kinda off-putting.

He is a super smart guy: he is predicted 7 A*s at GCSE, on the very difficult 'CIE IGCSE' board. He really is brilliant.

Okay. What about sports? I have heard that they are very good on the CV? My friend doesn't really do sport, at all.

Thanks!
Original post by londoncricket
He is a super smart guy: he is predicted 7 A*s at GCSE, on the very difficult 'CIE IGCSE' board. He really is brilliant.

Okay. What about sports? I have heard that they are very good on the CV? My friend doesn't really do sport, at all.

Thanks!

Do you mind me asking if your centre accepts private candidates if you know..

Don't do dofe pointless, irrelevant to course.

Get internships, work experience, write essays for econ. If you are only in year 10, then get the straight a stars and do EC's in summer.

Do you do your igcses in nov?
Hi all,

I have a friend who is 'seriously' into Economics, I mean he reads books about it in his spare time, he has created an Economics Computer Model in the past, etc.

He is in Year 11, going into Year 12 in September, one year old than me.

I hope to go into the same thing as him, but I look at him, and I see all the things I am not doing, all of the things that I perhaps should be doing, but I am not, because I don't really have any 'vision' or 'direction': I know what I want to go into (Banking, hedge fund, etc.) but I have not done a lot of the things that he has done.

I am know considering Finance / Accounting. Perhaps this might be a better option for me?

My GCSE predicted grades are quite good, etc., but I am not doing the things that will make him stand out from the university applicants crowd....

My question is this: does wider reading about Economics, in-depth research, writing of articles in journals, and advanced modelling help in the university application?

On the contrary, he hasn't done a few of the basic things you should: DofE for example, and sports; he doesn't really do many sporting activities.

I really am confused, can someone help me please?

Thanks!

na dont do dofe and dont waste too much time on extracurriculars. the only thing that matters is grades.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Do you mind me asking if your centre accepts private candidates if you know..

Don't do dofe pointless, irrelevant to course.

Get internships, work experience, write essays for econ. If you are only in year 10, then get the straight a stars and do EC's in summer.

Do you do your igcses in nov?

I know that DofE may be less useful for my university application, however I do find it fun to be with friends, etc.

I have got one work experience in the bag, have one more lined up, all before Year 11 :wink:

By write essays, what do you mean?

I just finished Year 10 (summer holidays now) I am predicted 6A*s and my target is 8A*s. I hope to get the best possible grades, with maximum effort.

I am not doing IGCSE, my friend is doing a different board to me.
I know that DofE may be less useful for my university application, however I do find it fun to be with friends, etc.

I have got one work experience in the bag, have one more lined up, all before Year 11 :wink:

By write essays, what do you mean?

I just finished Year 10 (summer holidays now) I am predicted 6A*s and my target is 8A*s. I hope to get the best possible grades, with maximum effort.

I am not doing IGCSE, my friend is doing a different board to me.

get it published in journals etc.
get it published in journals etc.

But, my literature has to be as good enough to be published in a journal.

However, it would be awesome if I can manage to do it!
But, my literature has to be as good enough to be published in a journal.

However, it would be awesome if I can manage to do it!

are you looking at applying to the us/?
are you looking at applying to the us/?

Hoping to, why?
Hoping to, why?

I would loveee to go to Norwich uni was wondering so I can transfer to yours..
I would loveee to go to Norwich uni was wondering so I can transfer to yours..

I am not in university yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending