The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by William Turtle
Can't spot any similar thread here, so I'll make one - I'm getting nervous/excited having finally decided to go to Manchester this year (to study chemistry MChem).

So:
What course do you hold an offer for?
Where did you apply for accommodation/where have you been placed?
What type of room are you hoping for/did you get?
How are you preparing/going to prepare for the move to Manchester (and where are you coming from?
Do you know anyone else who's going to Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a conditional offer for English Lit and German :biggrin: (I really, really hope I get into Manchester!) I applied for accommodation at Ashburne, Dalton-ellis and St. Gabriels. I'm not really fussed about the room, so long as it's catered (can't cook to save my life, haha). As I only live about 40 minutes away, I already know the area, I'll still be sort of close to home, but not too close, and it won't take long for me to get there. I don't know anyone else who's going to Manchester, though, so it'll be almost completely new to me :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Do you live in Beverley? :smile:
Hi,

Is anyone doing BSc Management in UoM starting from September 2014?

Btw, I'm from India.
Original post by katrina1
I have a conditional offer for English Lit and German :biggrin: (I really, really hope I get into Manchester!) I applied for accommodation at Ashburne, Dalton-ellis and St. Gabriels. I'm not really fussed about the room, so long as it's catered (can't cook to save my life, haha). As I only live about 40 minutes away, I already know the area, I'll still be sort of close to home, but not too close, and it won't take long for me to get there. I don't know anyone else who's going to Manchester, though, so it'll be almost completely new to me :smile:

Any reason you went for all female?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SagarSinghvi
Hi,

Is anyone doing BSc Management in UoM starting from September 2014?

Btw, I'm from India.

hello!!
i'm going to do management too.
i'm from italy
Original post by fra612
hello!!
i'm going to do management too.
i'm from italy

What's your name? And where are you gonna stay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by William Turtle
Any reason you went for all female?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not really, I just chose them because I liked how they look, and I liked them when I went to visit the accommodation :smile:
I just got my offer for accommodation for Opal Gardens Hall, is there anyone here who is going to stay there too or has stayed there? I would really appreciate a review of the place:biggrin:
Original post by PhysicistAtheist
There's supposed to be loads of people doing foundation year (more than 350)

Ah nice! I didn't realise it was such a big course
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I did the foundation year last year and it was very popular, the vast majority of lectures were in the same lecture theatre as it was the only one that could hold all of us.

The science and engineering departments also really like foundation students because they tend to go on to do really well on their degrees.

How easy/difficult was it?
How easy/difficult is it to get a job do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PhysicistAtheist
Hmm thank you :smile:
Did you meet your offer?(if not what did you get?)

It's weird when you get to university it's like nobody cares about a level results

I was a bit of an unusual case so it won't really help you much. I had CCC in completely irrelevant subjects but then I studied Maths independently last year and arranged to sit the exams at a local school. My offer was on the condition that I got a B in that Maths A-Level, which I did.

Original post by flyyoufools
How easy/difficult was it?

I found it relatively easy, and I hadn't even done Physics before. The only difficult aspect is that it's quite fast paced and you have tests or coursework almost every week. As long as you keep on top of things though, there's no reason why you shouldn't find it relatively straight forward.
I found it relatively easy, and I hadn't even done Physics before. The only difficult aspect is that it's quite fast paced and you have tests or coursework almost every week. As long as you keep on top of things though, there's no reason why you shouldn't find it relatively straight forward.

Sorted :smile: How much free time did you usually have? Or people on the course in general? i.e. were you as busy as a first year?
Original post by flyyoufools
Sorted :smile: How much free time did you usually have? Or people on the course in general? i.e. were you as busy as a first year?

I had about 18 hours of contact time a week, so I had a reasonable amount of free time. Some days I had quite a big gap in between things though (sometimes as much as 4 hours), which was a bit annoying. I can't really judge if I was busier than a first year, I guess I need to wait until I've started before I'll be able to say. Although I did get told a few times by my project supervisor (who was from the department I'll be joining) that if you do well on the foundation year, you'll fly through first year.
I had about 18 hours of contact time a week, so I had a reasonable amount of free time. Some days I had quite a big gap in between things though (sometimes as much as 4 hours), which was a bit annoying. I can't really judge if I was busier than a first year, I guess I need to wait until I've started before I'll be able to say. Although I did get told a few times by my project supervisor (who was from the department I'll be joining) that if you do well on the foundation year, you'll fly through first year.

Original post by theconorra
I hold an unconditional offer for History and Spanish (I'm 20, did my A levels 2 years ago, dropped out of Soton, giving it a 2nd go now).

I have a basic room in Oak House (Beach Court I think's the name of the block). Exactly what I wanted, cheap as they come and I've heard good things from someone I know who lived there.

Might prepare by learning some Spanish (it's an ab initio course and I'm not expected to, but still, wouldn't hurt) but can't think of anything else tbh. I come from Worcestershire and I don't know anyone going to Manchester. Well, I know someone who'll be 3rd year but only loosely.

That's me done.

Hey I'm gonna be at Beech court aswell :smile:
Original post by Missyeln213
I'm clinging onto an offer of AAB for Life Sciences! 'Clingling' accurately describes my situation here, as I'm 89% certain this offer will be yanked out of my hands on results day! Haha, so much anxiety is building up.
Applied for Sheavyn, Richmond and Oak House. I think. We'll see!

Life Sciences are pretty open about being lenient with offers... Don't worry too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, got a conditional offer of ABB to study Philosophy, anyone else? Also applied for Oak House, heard it's a good place to live but don't know when to move in?
Hi!

Anyone else starting this course this autumn ??
Hi there!
Anyone for Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry? I'm already in Manchester looking for the job.. anyone in the city? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending