The Student Room Group

Anyone else on JSA

I find it stressful being on it, and scared they will sanction me if I don't search for jobs for 2 hours a day - If I don't get JSA I starve and can't pay bills so made homeless.
You also have to go every week now.

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
Original post by cheeriosarenice
I find it stressful being on it, and scared they will sanction me if I don't search for jobs for 2 hours a day - If I don't get JSA I starve and can't pay bills so made homeless.

So search for jobs for 2 hours a day?
Original post by Reue
So search for jobs for 2 hours a day?

No, waste of life
Reply 4
No, waste of life

Enjoy being sanctioned then
Original post by Reue
Enjoy being sanctioned then

If I starve nobody would care anyway/ notice
Reply 6
If I starve nobody would care anyway/ notice

Then why do you find such a prospect stressful? If you're worrying about it: do something. If you don't worry about it: do nothing.
I am. Don't find it particularly stressful though.
Original post by Brit_Miller
I am. Don't find it particularly stressful though.

How many hours a day do you spend searching for jobs?
Reply 9

Hi there. I was on JSA for a while last year. The jobcentre won't let you completely starve. If you get sanctioned you can claim a hardship provision (reduced benefit amount) for the period of your sanction. If you've been claiming for more than six months you can claim a budgeting loan, interest free loan to cover living expenses and job searches.

Dont apply for jobs to stop them sanctioning you. Apply for them to get a job.
Original post by alapa
Hi there. I was on JSA for a while last year. The jobcentre won't let you completely starve. If you get sanctioned you can claim a hardship provision (reduced benefit amount) for the period of your sanction. If you've been claiming for more than six months you can claim a budgeting loan, interest free loan to cover living expenses and job searches.

Dont apply for jobs to stop them sanctioning you. Apply for them to get a job.

Ja, but then my housing benefit is affected
Get a bloody job yaa bloody scrounger,you should be grateful that me taxes pays for ya food n shelter
You're lucky you can get JSA - I'm a student taking time out from my course so I'm not eligible.
Reply 13
Ja, but then my housing benefit is affected

Just declare zero income to the council. Sorted. Get em a letter saying you've been sanctioned and your housing benefit should be cushy.
No, waste of life

If you want money, you have to earn them by doing something productive. Why should people who work hard pay for someone like you who isn't bothered to look for jobs just for 2 hours a day?
Original post by Blue_Mason
Get a bloody job yaa bloody scrounger,you should be grateful that me taxes pays for ya food n shelter

Original post by ForgetMe
If you want money, you have to earn them by doing something productive. Why should people who work hard pay for someone like you who isn't bothered to look for jobs just for 2 hours a day?

Nice try, you two only work because you have too, and you pay taxes because it benefits the society you are a part of. Don't act like you're doing something noble. You pay taxes because when someone robs your house you want the police to come round, you want roads to drive your car along and street lamps to walk under when you stumble home from the pub.
Original post by SmashingChap
Nice try, you two only work because you have too, and you pay taxes because it benefits the society you are a part of. Don't act like you're doing something noble. You pay taxes because when someone robs your house you want the police to come round, you want roads to drive your car along and street lamps to walk under when you stumble home from the pub.

Why should anyone be given money for free for not doing anything? would you prefer if I was on JSA instead? If he's not doing what he's supposed to, why he should be paid? I was on JSA for quite a long time and I did everything they wanted me to, and did not even complain, yet the guy is complaining that he has to do something :erm:

I approve genuine people and disapprove people who can't be bothered to look for jobs just 2 hours per day :facepalm:

At least we do something rather than doing nothing...
Reply 17
As much as they wrongly treat JSA applicants like scum, they won't sanction you so long as you meet your claimant commitment, you can easily get away with just applying to 5 jobs a week.

Not that I'm advocating that, I'm on it right now and put in more effort than that because I quite desperately want a job at this stage. It's not even about the money, I just can't stand having to deal with such rude and horrible people. One of my advisors is absolutely lovely, but the others can be really horrible and there's just no need for it.
Original post by Jarred
As much as they wrongly treat JSA applicants like scum, they won't sanction you so long as you meet your claimant commitment, you can easily get away with just applying to 5 jobs a week.

Not that I'm advocating that, I'm on it right now and put in more effort than that because I quite desperately want a job at this stage. It's not even about the money, I just can't stand having to deal with such rude and horrible people. One of my advisors is absolutely lovely, but the others can be really horrible and there's just no need for it.

If only you were from London :colone:
Original post by Jarred

How and why are they horrible, they're supposed to help you out man

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest