The Student Room Group

Applying through Clearing for Accounting

At the moment my plan is to apply for university through clearing for an accounting and finance course. Currently, due to medical reasons, I am taking a year out of university but I have reapplied for the coming academic year. From my 2 years at college I have got A2 grades of CDD, C in Maths and D in Economics and Physics. I have retaken one module in Maths in an attempt to raise my grade from a C to a B.
Does anyone have any advice as to how I should go about clearing. What hope do I have of getting into a university if at all?
Thanks for readin. :smile:
If you haven't applied to university this year making a full UCAS application, you can't enter clearing. You need to actually apply with a personal statement and reference for you to use clearing; you can't just use it if you feel like it, without officially applying this year.
Reply 2
Original post by Pectorac
If you haven't applied to university this year making a full UCAS application, you can't enter clearing. You need to actually apply with a personal statement and reference for you to use clearing; you can't just use it if you feel like it, without officially applying this year.

Sorry if i didn't mention this before.
I have applied but the offers I received were either for points I wouldn't be able to achieve or were just not what I wanted. So I declined all the offers and I am now awaiting clearing.
Original post by Fali94
Sorry if i didn't mention this before.
I have applied but the offers I received were either for points I wouldn't be able to achieve or were just not what I wanted. So I declined all the offers and I am now awaiting clearing.

It was a stupid decision to decline the offers, because you could have achieved the grades on results day for all you know and got in, and you can simply transfer your student finance from one university to another if you did have to use clearing.

You will probably get a place in clearing, but not at a great university.
Reply 4
Original post by Pectorac
It was a stupid decision to decline the offers, because you could have achieved the grades on results day for all you know and got in, and you can simply transfer your student finance from one university to another if you did have to use clearing.

You will probably get a place in clearing, but not at a great university.

Realistically I am aiming for a reletively low university, hopefully not too low. Also the only reasonable offer I recieved was for points of 300 which I could not achieve. As for the rest of my offers they were declined. :frown:
And for student finance I have already completed my application but I am going to have to change the university if and when I do get an offer.
Reply 5
Also, do you have any pointers for when I do have to call up universities during clearing. Should I explain to them why I had to take a gap year. Also my A levels were effected quite a bit due to medical reasons. Should I also explain that, if need be I can provide proof for the university if they ask for it.
Original post by Fali94
Realistically I am aiming for a reletively low university, hopefully not too low. Also the only reasonable offer I recieved was for points of 300 which I could not achieve. As for the rest of my offers they were declined. :frown:
And for student finance I have already completed my application but I am going to have to change the university if and when I do get an offer.

Original post by Fali94
Also, do you have any pointers for when I do have to call up universities during clearing. Should I explain to them why I had to take a gap year. Also my A levels were effected quite a bit due to medical reasons. Should I also explain that, if need be I can provide proof for the university if they ask for it.

Yes you should explain to them why you took a gap year, and tell them about anything productive you did during it. Did your referee mention your medical problems in your reference? If not, you should say that you can get your referee to verify them, as well as providing proof yourself.

Accounting is generally under-subscribed so there should be quite a few places in clearing. You should tell them that although you didn't achieve as highly as you thought, you did get passing grades in maths and physics (a D is a pass), which are very relevant to accounting because of the maths, and a lot of applicants won't have studied maths to advanced level; you will be more mathematically competent than a lot of other people.
Reply 7
Sweet, I'll take all that into account. Now I can sleep without worrying too much about my future. :tongue:
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending