The Student Room Group

The Secret Life of Students on Channel 4

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yellowcopter
In the red? Why? :tongue:

Well I've only seen Episode 1 so I can't judge yet. I'll watch Episode 2 and if it seems worth it I might buy Episode 3.

Hey could you link me to the 2013 season thanks :smile:
Original post by wiseLAD
Very insensitive of you - not everybody's mummy and daddy can fund their time at uni and as a result if the government withdrawing EMA people like Brenda struggle to support themselves throughout the duration of their course

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have a clue about my background. How dare you try to insult me under false pretences just because I disagree with some brat sticking the middle finger up to the very people that have allowed them to have a chance at succeeding.

Very insensitive of me? I was stating the obvious and sharing my opinion which was formed on fact, you on the other hand are trying to imply that somehow I must be better than Brenda just because I acknowledged her stupidity... interesting. Were you aware that she spent ~£300 on unnecessary clothes, placing herself into a poor financial situation. Also, she didn't even bother to make an effort to attend lectures etc so don't try to tell me that this is because EMA has been cut. Would she have used the EMA for her education, or just hosed it away like she did with her other money?
Original post by Saleem Aslam
Hey could you link me to the 2013 season thanks :smile:

Sure. :smile:

Episode 1 - http://www.videoweed.es/file/8cb8f3dc10972

Episode 2 - http://www.videoweed.es/file/6fccb3ee28922

Episode 3 - Can't find links anywhere, but you can buy it on iTunes for £1.49
Episode 2 is like the hugest cliffhanger if you can't watch 3 :frown:

In the red? Why? :tongue:

Well I've only seen Episode 1 so I can't judge yet. I'll watch Episode 2 and if it seems worth it I might buy Episode 3.

Haha, they don't tell you if you're buying things without money in the bank sometimes :confused:

Hook me up if you do get it pls?
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Episode 2 is like the hugest cliffhanger if you can't watch 3 :frown:

Haha, they don't tell you if you're buying things without money in the bank sometimes :confused:

Hook me up if you do get it pls?

I'll upload it online if I do buy it and put a link here. :tongue:
I'll upload it online if I do buy it and put a link here. :tongue:

Legend! Can't rep again :tongue:

You have already rated a post by this user recently!

I just bought Episode 3, once it's done downloading I'll upload it. :smile:

Thank you a lot, I really do appreciate you buying and uploading it so the rest of us can watch it too :tongue:

Original post by simplylldxo

The only things I've learnt while watching it are:
I have nothing to worry about settling into uni.
Leicester is so strict with attendance.

Depends completely on the course. I did a joint honours degree and attendance in lectures is very rarely monitored in lectures where you have 100s of students. Seminars were more strict, all I know is that they called you to see a tutor if you missed so many. Having said that, didn't hear about the persisent slackers from my ancient history modules this year having meetings. I just don't understand how when paying so much money you wouldn't bother going.

I suppose it's related to the show as it was a topic but what happens if a student gets into financial trouble and can't pay the rent of their accommodation?

Brenda could have gone to Leicester's SU who do have systems in place when people are struggling financially. I just wonder how she didn't have the money for rent when normally the termly rent in the student village is just after you get your loan. If her loan was late I'm sure she could have gone and spoken to them about it.

I was also very surprised to see myself in the background for a couple of seconds in the last episode. Been looking out for friends the whole time and didn't expect I'd be there.
Helen is a typical slooot

not applying for leicester

how is this stuff in london unis like lse and ucl by the way? They seem much more academically focused
Reply 470
Original post by wiseLAD
Very insensitive of you - not everybody's mummy and daddy can fund their time at uni and as a result if the government withdrawing EMA people like Brenda struggle to support themselves throughout the duration of their course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by shaunthing
You don't have a clue about my background. How dare you try to insult me under false pretences just because I disagree with some brat sticking the middle finger up to the very people that have allowed them to have a chance at succeeding.

Very insensitive of me? I was stating the obvious and sharing my opinion which was formed on fact, you on the other hand are trying to imply that somehow I must be better than Brenda just because I acknowledged her stupidity... interesting. Were you aware that she spent ~£300 on unnecessary clothes, placing herself into a poor financial situation. Also, she didn't even bother to make an effort to attend lectures etc so don't try to tell me that this is because EMA has been cut. Would she have used the EMA for her education, or just hosed it away like she did with her other money?

wiseLAD, have to agree with shaunthing here. It was kinda rude to try and insult him without even knowing about his background.
It was also a little insensitive the way that you phrased your comment about 'mummy and daddy'. The was student finance allocates money is based on your parents earnings, and some people are not able to get the full loan if their household income is over a certain amount. This therefore means that their parents have to contribute some money, otherwise it is not possible to live while at university. Many of these people are part of the squeezed middle class, so the money that they are using is not just money that they have lying around, but money that they have had to work pretty hard for. Therefore I think you should stop and think before you judge the people who have some funding from parents from university.

The point shaunthing seemed to be making as that is was stupid of Brenda to use her over draft for things that are non essentials. If you are struggling financially then you shouldn't be buying £100 'organic stuff' (looked like moisturiser). She should have only used her over draft for essential items. Also it is a waste of £9000 if she can't be bothered to attend her lectures. That said, the show was probably spun to make her seem more irresponsible than she actually is

The only things I've learnt while watching it are:
I have nothing to worry about settling into uni.
Leicester is so strict with attendance.

It's not really that strict with attendance tbh. But this will depend on your course, courses like Engineering and Medicine you need to swipe to get into lectures. However, in most courses you can turn up to the lectures whenever you want but only if you miss 3 seminars in a row, do you then get an email asking why and if you continue to miss them for the semister then you get called in by a tutor for a discussion on why you have been absent.
Original post by wiseLAD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brenda spends her overdraft money on clothes and shoes....that's her fault, not the government.

Hey did you manage to upload ir? :P

Original post by Saleem Aslam
Hey did you manage to upload ir? :P

Yep. :smile: Here's Episode 3, though because I bought it on iTunes its an M4V file - so you need to open it in QuickTime Player.

Open QuickTime Player then click File > Open Location and then copy and paste this link into the box:

http://theteacher99.host22.com/03%20Episode%203.m4v

...then give it a few seconds and it should start playing.
Reply 475
For anyone looking for all the episodes (and mobile compatible) I've watched all four from http://watchseries-online.ch/2014/07/the-secret-life-of-students-s01e04.html by selecting the website vidspot.net

This show has made me both more excited and more frightened to go to uni!
Yep. :smile: Here's Episode 3, though because I bought it on iTunes its an M4V file - so you need to open it in QuickTime Player.

Open QuickTime Player then click File > Open Location and then copy and paste this link into the box:

http://theteacher99.host22.com/03%20Episode%203.m4v

...then give it a few seconds and it should start playing.

Thank you so much! haha
Thank you so much! haha

No problem. :biggrin:
I hope they make another series of TSLOS. I think it would be interesting to see it filmed at a different uni, or maybe to catch up with Brenda, Lauren, etc. when they reach the final year. It would give us a chance to see if/how their perspective of uni has changed.
Reply 479
I found Brenda's blog if anyone is interested:

http://curlycomediana.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Gives quite an alternative to how the show portrays her.

Quick Reply

Latest