The Student Room Group

Arethe jaguar XK, XKR and XKR-S going to com back

Are the Jaguar XK, XKR and XKR-S going to come back at some pint in the future as new models after they finish production this month? Has the FType replaced the XK range even though the FType is a sports car more than a Grand Tourer? Some of the media are saying a XE Coupe will replace it others are saying it will come back in the future with a more Grand Touring emphasis? What are your opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most likely it will be replaced with a more aluminium type architecture.
Wonder what those will weigh with the F-Type already being such a fat phuck... but then it's British engineering, what can you expect?
Reply 3
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Wonder what those will weigh with the F-Type already being such a fat phuck... but then it's British engineering, what can you expect?

Awesomeness.
British engineering allowed this little island to own most of the globe.
Original post by JC.
Awesomeness.
British engineering allowed this little island to own most of the globe.

Yup, and the lose most of it again with atrocious quality and lack of innovation. Heard of British Leyland?
Reply 5
Yup, and the lose most of it again with atrocious quality and lack of innovation. Heard of British Leyland?

I've had more BL products than you've probably heard of.
Nothing wrong with them set against the competition of the day.
Original post by JC.
I've had more BL products than you've probably heard of.

Doubt it - but the fact that you had ANY makes me pity you.

Original post by JC.
Nothing wrong with them set against the competition of the day.

Take it from someone who worked for them...

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130513011417AAHXvms

Or have a look at this: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=2&f=23&t=1292118&mid=0&i=0&nmt=British+Leyland+-They+were+crap+and+they+knew+they+were.&mid=0

Or this: http://www.autocar.co.uk/forum/any-other-business/seventies-british-leyland-cars

If you think there was 'nothing wrong with them set against the competition of the day', you know even less about cars than I already think you do. Stick to your music...
Reply 7
Doubt it - but the fact that you had ANY makes me pity you.

Take it from someone who worked for them...

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130513011417AAHXvms

Or have a look at this: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=2&f=23&t=1292118&mid=0&i=0&nmt=British+Leyland+-They+were+crap+and+they+knew+they+were.&mid=0

Or this: http://www.autocar.co.uk/forum/any-other-business/seventies-british-leyland-cars

If you think there was 'nothing wrong with them set against the competition of the day', you know even less about cars than I already think you do. Stick to your music...

Not really interested in links to other idiots talking nonsense.

I've had plenty and they've all been great. When you've got some first hand experience of what you're talking about maybe you'll have an opinion worthy of listening to...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Not really interested in links to other idiots talking nonsense. [...] When you've got some first hand experience of what you're talking about maybe you'll have an opinion worthy of listening to...

Sure, go ahead, ignore first-hand experience from people who worked for the company and/or surely had more of its cars than you ever will. It's what people do when they don't like to be proven wrong.

Original post by JC.
I've had plenty and they've all been great.

I guess a lifelong, and probably exclusive, exposure to British engineering does that to one's standards for automotive quality. Fair enough.
Reply 9
You haven't proven anything. Citing other peoples opinions doesn't really cut the mustard.
BL produced some fantastic cars and I've owned most of them. How many have you owned to actually have an opinion of your own or do you base all your opinions around what you read on the internet?

Anyway, haven't you got something more important to do, mr big shot? Or, have you given up trying to be the big "I am " on the internet?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JC.
You haven't proven anything. Citing other peoples opinions doesn't really cut the mustard.

Yeah, I haven't proven anything. Not my goal. Not worth it. Just compiled a little excerpt of the overwhelming evidence out there that you are wrong in your opinion/conviction, caused by obvious blind British nationalism and lack of perspective.

Original post by JC.
How many have you owned to actually have an opinion of your own...

None. I don't have to. There are tons of opinion/reviews/facts by people out there who know loads more about BL cars than you do, have actually worked for them, or review cars for a living. By studying these, I know more about BL cars than you ever will.

Original post by JC.
or do you base all your opinions around what you read on the internet?

No, but when I have no time or opportunity to form an opinion first-hand I tend to consult a panel of experts. It's what modern human beings do, you know.

Original post by JC.
BL produced some fantastic cars and I've owned most of them.

Oh, now it's only 'some'? And what about the rest? How can YOU judge the brand as a whole if you've never owned/driven the poor ones then?

Original post by JC.
Anyway, haven't you got something more important to do, mr big shot?

Nah, there's always a few minutes for exposing the ignorance of wannabe 'car experts' before/between/after actually working in the automobile industry at global HQs of a leading brand.
Reply 11
Where do you keep your little panel of experts then? In your back pocket? No, you're just plucking this stuff out of your arse.
Me? Well, I've certainly never purported to be an "expert". Then again, I've never tried to make myself out to be anything bigger than I am, oh "global leader". My ego doesn't need that kind of crutch to lean on...

You really are a "leading brand" tosser aren't you? Not least because you feel the need to drag the thread off topic by discussing vehicles, awesome as they are, that haven't been produced for 30 odd years.
You obviously don't know a lot about cars. You've certainly never written anything you couldn't find on the internet. You certainly don't come across as though you've spent any time around them. Junior management tea boy, yes. Car guy? Nah. I bet you couldn't tell the difference between a spanner and your own arse.
(edited 9 years ago)
A Jaguar was the fasted production car in the world at one point http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ220
F-Type is essentially a shortened XK.

Hardly surprised it is heavy due to it being a previous generation development. A real triumph is despite it being heavy and "lesser" engineered it still sells as quickly as they leave the assembly line. Either way no one buys a F-Type and worries about its weight as it is primarily a coupe/cabrio for the looks and style rather than outright performance just in the same way no one ever buys a Porshe Cayenne to bring it offroad. It is no slouch though, much cheaper than a 911 yet only performs between 4-10% less despite the weight disadvantage. I view it as good engineering and management if a car company can give so much for so little.

You want to talk about weight? A BMW 7 series in every configuration generally weighs more than an equivalent configuration Jaguar XJ. The Jaguar generally will cost less to buy run more economically and for the most part far more youthful in character where equivalent German sedans now look as if you have to be 100 before you could appreciate the staidness of it. Same goes for the Japanese luxury marques most appear to be no different than an overpriced Nissan or Toyota.

Interestingly enough the current Jaguar XJL even when equipped with the AWD system (only available in Nordic countries and North America) is still lighter than the Audi A8L.

Says who the British can't engineer a car? Must be a reason why BMW bought over the remnants of British Leyland. Must be a darn good reason why VAG fought tooth and nail to gain control of Rolls Royce and Bentley. The new up and coming BMW i8 is primarily built of British engineering. Much of the technology and control systems in the BMW i3 was also developed in Britain. Interestingly enough AWD Jaguars are by far superior to the equivalent Quattro, xDrive or 4Matic cars in terms of wet weather handling and road holding, reason being is it uses the expertise of Land Rover.

Perhaps it must be a reason why nearly every F1 team has their R&D centre in UK and I'm sure it isn't because of the weather :smile:

Must be a reason almost every F1 team has its base and technological centre in UK.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending