The Student Room Group

Trying contact lenses for the first time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do you guys get your contacts from Specsavers as well? Are they quite reasonably priced?

Here's the glasses I'm getting tomorrow. They are gorgeous :biggrin: I never thought the highlight of my summer would be getting these and trying out contacts :tongue:
Original post by Yasmin25
I don't know the angle of my astigmatism or how bad it is, the optician just said that the astigmatism might be a problem with contacts but it'll be ok to give them a try. I can't remember my prescription spot on off hand but my left eye is -1.75 and my right eye is -3.25 or thereabouts.

Not a small difference at all, you will notice a huge difference in your pereferal vision with contacts.
Reply 22
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how I get on with my trial lenses tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went for a trial, spent 30 minutes trying it on but couldn't get it on so just gave up, never booked another appointment

Posted from TSR Mobile
My eyes are much worse than yours, OP, -3.25 and -6, and I also have astigmatism in both eyes. I've never had a problem with my contacts. The trial is freaky (it's probably the first time you'll voluntarily touch your eyeball, and your eyelids will do what they can to stop you) but after a day or two you'll forget you're wearing them. I've accidentally written pairs off by sleeping with them in before, they're so comfortable.

Oh, and as someone who can't remember having 20/20 vision, showering with perfect sight is _trippy_.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Hey guys I got my new glasses today but my contact lenses appt got rescheduled since the guy I was meant to see was off ill and they were running late so I would have had to have waited a while to be seen by someone else. I'm glad I have my glasses though. They ate lovely :biggrin: they are a big change from my last glasses so they'll take a bit of getting used to lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I'm thinking about trying contact lenses (I'm 22 and I've been wearing glasses since I was 5). I have the worst eyesight ever, but I've done a lot of reading and apparently it doesn't matter as much as it used to.

What's the trial at Specsaver's like? Is it free? And does anyone know what the prices are like? The website is a little vague.
I would recommend anyone who is trying contacts for the first time to go to an independent optometrist and not one of the chain stores. I'd say you would be more likely to get a higher quality experience and greater level of competence seeing just one person instead of whoever happens to be in on the day..

I have been wearing contacts for almost 20 years although obviously not the same pair as that would be very bad for your eyes.

I've worn rgps and dailies.

CLs are fab and a great solution for me.

I currently use daysoft dailies and they work perfectly. I do alternate and can easily have a couple of days with my specs on.

Putting in/taking out..if you learn the correct procedure its easy. DO NOT faff about with a mirror..you will just make it hard work.

I can have mine in in about a minute and out in 20 secs.

Dailies are the healthiest regime. If you are using reusable CLs dont over wear for long periods and make sure you clean them properly.
good luck

mancs
Reply 28
I wear contact lenses 18 hours a day, every day! Never had any problems. I was supposed to have learnt at Specsavers... but it actually took me about a month obviously my own to really got the hang of it. As mentioned, dailies are the best... clean, convenient. I would recommend Daysoft, they're based in the Channel Islands so their prices are more reasonable than most, I buy mine 2 months at a time (64 lefts and 64 rights) for £25 :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daysoft are good. I use them from time to time because I have astigmatism they are not the best for me, but still they are very comfortable.
Original post by Kathy89
Daysoft are good. I use them from time to time because I have astigmatism they are not the best for me, but still they are very comfortable.

Hi,,yes i too have astigmatism about 1.25D in one eye and about 0.75D in the other. I have never worn toric contacts though my specs do have the correction.

I have never really noted any issues wearing spherical soft lenses. Torics are best avoided if possible as they just add another layer of complication. My last consultation with my independent optom..he said no,you dont need to faff about with torics in my case.. I am now currently using monovision adjusted dailies which work well for me.
Original post by Limpopo
Hi,,yes i too have astigmatism about 1.25D in one eye and about 0.75D in the other. I have never worn toric contacts though my specs do have the correction.

I have never really noted any issues wearing spherical soft lenses. Torics are best avoided if possible as they just add another layer of complication. My last consultation with my independent optom..he said no,you dont need to faff about with torics in my case.. I am now currently using monovision adjusted dailies which work well for me.

If you have some trouble focusing and need monovision adjustment probably the toric lenses will help more, especially with 1.25D of astigmatism.
I don't know what your vision problem is, I need to check it, but most cases with 1.25D astigmatism toric help a lot.

I have -1.5 and the toric help a lot.

The only reason not to use toric when needed is their cost.
Original post by Kathy89
If you have some trouble focusing and need monovision adjustment probably the toric lenses will help more, especially with 1.25D of astigmatism.
I don't know what your vision problem is, I need to check it, but most cases with 1.25D astigmatism toric help a lot.

I have -1.5 and the toric help a lot.

The only reason not to use toric when needed is their cost.

Yes, i know what you mean. Cost does come in to it. Toric dailies are too expensive and i dont really notice any issues anyway.

My recent and ill fated trial of multifocal torics at a well known high street chain has crashed and burned. My assessment of the failure was lack of continuity of optoms at the chain, slow progress in trialling/fitting and my general feeling that they were overcomplicating the matter and trying to up sell me and rope me into a costly monthly contract.
Original post by Limpopo
Yes, i know what you mean. Cost does come in to it. Toric dailies are too expensive and i dont really notice any issues anyway.

My recent and ill fated trial of multifocal torics at a well known high street chain has crashed and burned. My assessment of the failure was lack of continuity of optoms at the chain, slow progress in trialling/fitting and my general feeling that they were overcomplicating the matter and trying to up sell me and rope me into a costly monthly contract.
I wear progressive glasses too, as for contacts, slight undercorrection is helping enough not to strain while reading Although I can only see 6/12 with them, it's more than enough to function well.
Probably you are farsighted, so it's a bit different in your case.
Original post by Kathy89
I wear progressive glasses too, as for contacts, slight undercorrection is helping enough not to strain while reading Although I can only see 6/12 with them, it's more than enough to function well.
Probably you are farsighted, so it's a bit different in your case.

Im -8.50/-7.50 but currently -8.50/-6.00 and doing ok on sphericals. Strangely i find that the daysoft lenses are better than acuvues. It could be that the different lens material of the DS lens suits me better in that they arent Si hydrogels but have an acceptable level of permeability and perhaps are marginally thicker material which may help to mask the higher astigmatism. They are also cheap as chips. My optom is a very straighforward guy and was honest enough to say he didnt like DS lenses because he couldnt make any money on them.
Reply 35
Contact lenses are truly brilliant. Perfect vision with no hassle or discomfort. But the first few days are awkward till you get used to putting them in. Persist and you will find them great. I now suffer from the problem of trying to avoid over wearing them - I want to keep them in 14 hours a day. This is important as it can lead to problems. Good luck.
Original post by Limpopo
Im -8.50/-7.50 but currently -8.50/-6.00 and doing ok on sphericals. Strangely i find that the daysoft lenses are better than acuvues. It could be that the different lens material of the DS lens suits me better in that they arent Si hydrogels but have an acceptable level of permeability and perhaps are marginally thicker material which may help to mask the higher astigmatism. They are also cheap as chips. My optom is a very straighforward guy and was honest enough to say he didnt like DS lenses because he couldnt make any money on them.

So the multifocals are for myopia control or you do have some sort of focusing problems?
Original post by Kathy89
So the multifocals are for myopia control or you do have some sort of focusing problems?

I trialled the multi's for creeping presbyopia. They prescribed toric progs even though i manage well on sphericals. After several trial pairs, they couldnt get the script right. I also found them uncomfortable probably due to the Si material.

I discontinued the trial and went to an independent optom who first trialled spherical with monovision and hey presto ,its a workable solution for me..sometimes keeping it simple is the best solution..
Original post by Limpopo
I trialled the multi's for creeping presbyopia. They prescribed toric progs even though i manage well on sphericals. After several trial pairs, they couldnt get the script right. I also found them uncomfortable probably due to the Si material.

I discontinued the trial and went to an independent optom who first trialled spherical with monovision and hey presto ,its a workable solution for me..sometimes keeping it simple is the best solution..

Presbyopia? How old are you?
Original post by Kathy89
Presbyopia? How old are you?

Old enough but dont look it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest