The Student Room Group

Ask an A-Level Student

Scroll to see replies

what is honestly the best way to revise?
Reply 81
how is psychology A level? i did it at GCSE and im not sure whether i should pick it for A levels or not
Original post by yellowcopter
What uni courses do you plan to apply to/do? Also what universities? :smile:

Sorry if this has been asked, didn't read any of the replies to the thread.

Hi,
I'll be starting uni this september hopefully (if I get the grades!) I've firmed exeter for flexible combined honours (geography and psychology) and insured southampton for geography :smile:
Hi, er... I'm a student that's about to apply for Sixth Form (I know it's early, I'm just paranoid - see the name)... I know 2 subjects (English & History) I want to take.. But I have to take at least 4.. So I have to questions:
1) How is French A Level?
And 2) Can anyone reccommend another subject, or at least tell me about some?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kokopop
how is psychology A level? i did it at GCSE and im not sure whether i should pick it for A levels or not

I did Psychology [just finished year 13] and am happy to answer any questions!

As for generally- I found it easier than Religious Studies & French, it wasn't hard for me, but it did involve a lot of learning- studies, results, samples. I found the content interesting, and it wasn't as complex as say French was, but there was a lot to learn. It was interesting, though, and I learned a lot of stuff which I enjoyed learning.

For me it was also nice to have a less intense essay subject- compared to my other subjects, the essays in psychology were less intense, shorter, and less demanding as to structure, but they do have to be essays... as essays are my thing, that was fine for me.

Original post by ExamParanoia@me
Hi, er... I'm a student that's about to apply for Sixth Form (I know it's early, I'm just paranoid - see the name)... I know 2 subjects (English & History) I want to take.. But I have to take at least 4.. So I have to questions:

French A Level isn't easy- it's hard work, and the grade boundaries tend to be high because few people take French unless they love it... but at the same time it's the most rewarding A Level I did, it's the one I enjoyed most in terms of learning the content I think, and I have zero regrets about taking it, especially since it's a good A Level to have in terms of reputation.

It depends which grades you want to achieve at A Level, of course, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're expecting a B or above at GCSE, and unless you're willing to do the work.

I started A Level really struggling with writing- I could read, listen and speak relatively well, but my writing was pretty abysmal... but I surprised myself with how much I learned and how fast I learned and it's such a good subject to have done.

So it's not a doss, but if you're prepared to put work in it's a fabulous choice & I enjoyed it a lot!

Any other specific questions? :smile:
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Did you have any controlled assessments for A Level History?

Yes, there's one at A2. You have to write a 4,000 word piece (split into 2 parts) on American civil rights
Original post by 29Bilal96
Yup I've just finished year 12, so we've already covered some of the A2 content. Okay yeah the coursework already seems like the biggest change, but I've really enjoyed history so far at GCSE and AS, so should be good next year hopefully...just waiting for results day now :tongue:
Thanks for your help :smile:

Good luck with your results :h:
Original post by ari1449
what is honestly the best way to revise?

It really depends what is best for you. Try a variety of methods and see what works. There isn't really a "best" way. I like to just write notes from textbooks or create mindmaps.
Original post by kokopop

It is extremely interesting and covers a variety of topics inc gender, aggression, eating behaviour, memory, attachment, stress, depression, psychopathology etc. It could be a nice addition to your other subjects, depending on what else you are planning on picking?
Original post by ExamParanoia@me

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects did you enjoy at gcse? Then go from there...
Have a look at the prospectuses of the sixth forms you're planning to apply to and browse through the subjects they offer - there should be some quite detailed info on what each subject entails :smile:
Original post by scrawlx101
How did you decide what subject to drop?

Where you orginally from your sixth form or were you an external student? How was your first year? I keep hearing things that it's extremly hard....I'm a external student at the 6th form i want to goto...was so shy at my taster day...fourtanetly I made a few wisecracks and jokes here and there and hey presto I got a few smiles.Also it slightly helped there was this excesively curious american girl...she seemed cool but she talked alot and was described as "fiesty" but she seems a nice laugh.I'll make sure to make friends with her(hopefully) if she chooses to come to that sixth form.I think she's not from the UK orginaliy since her accent is strong...any ideas how I can make friends with her? As for the other girls i just tricked all of them and pretended I was french? good move or bad? I got a few laughs from them too. Sorry for babbling on...and on...

Also did you take up an enrichment programme activity,if so what was it and how did you manage to juggle it with your A-levels?

Hey, I know you weren't asking me but I was an external student in my sixth form. I found it pretty easy to make friends, you get to know people in your subjects and eventually (within the first term I guess) it feels like you've always been there. My tip is definitely try and talk to people in your classes I'm super shy too but it gets easier I promise. I'm awful at making friends but by the end of year 13 I had quite a few and it was hard to notice who was external and who wasn't :smile:
Phoebe
(Great thread by the way girlygiggle sorry for butting in)
Original post by PhoeenBanafrit
Hey, I know you weren't asking me but I was an external student in my sixth form. I found it pretty easy to make friends, you get to know people in your subjects and eventually (within the first term I guess) it feels like you've always been there. My tip is definitely try and talk to people in your classes I'm super shy too but it gets easier I promise. I'm awful at making friends but by the end of year 13 I had quite a few and it was hard to notice who was external and who wasn't :smile:
Phoebe

Thanks for the advice,feeling good about that sixth form and cant wait for this holiday to be over(never thought id say that) and get down to work...but praying and hoping gcse results are good...
Also I did biology, chemistry and English literature a levels :smile:
Original post by PhoeenBanafrit
Phoebe

Haha, no worries. Its good other people are helping to answer too :smile:
Original post by girlygiggle
Hi,
I'll be starting uni this september hopefully (if I get the grades!) I've firmed exeter for flexible combined honours (geography and psychology) and insured southampton for geography :smile:

Oh cool, good luck with your A-Level results, hope you get in. :biggrin:
Original post by yellowcopter
Oh cool, good luck with your A-Level results, hope you get in. :biggrin:

Thank you :h:
How did you find History (and what periods did you study)? How much essay writing is there? :smile:
Original post by ifyouseelaura
How did you find History (and what periods did you study)? How much essay writing is there? :smile:

History was fine. As with any subject there's always going to be topics that you enjoy and don't enjoy. At AS I liked the unit on votes for women but found Stalin and Mao less interesting. At A2 I enjoyed the coursework on american civil rights from 1871-1980 too :smile:

There is a lot of essay writing as that's the way you are assessed, but I wouldn't let that put you off as once you know the technique to use its fine.
Bump

Keep posting questions :h:
Is this a good topic for a EPQ? How can addictions change the way a person's brain works, and how can giving up affect them?
Im going to explore smoking addictions,coffee adictions and video game addictions.Not sure if I'm going to study the effects on adults or children or both.

Any good websites to give me a headstart for studying psychology AQA? Feel like im going to get left behind since ive relaxed alot this holiday and there's one potential classmate whose studied psychology at gcse and i want to get a headstart at least but the strange thing was that during the taster day i answered alot of questions...guess it helps to have a taster day two days in a row....

Did you go out for lunch or stay inside and get school lunch?
Would you suggest its best to sit next to a smarter person than you in class to boost your work ethic?
What did you do during free periods?

Quick Reply

Latest