The Student Room Group

Why is society so anti-Semitic?

In my opinion it's because in recent modern times, Jews attracted envy for being successful in business, science, medicine etc.., the disproportionate number of Jews in these fields attracted resentment.

In more recent times, the Jewish state of Israel has attracted criticism because of the way the Muslim minority is treated. many of those who criticise Israel though would say that it is Israel they disapprove of, not Jews. Some of them are probably sincere in this view, though anti Semitism has such a long history, one suspects that the Muslims are not the main reason at least some of those people criticise Israel.

The Jewish people for ever have been the Brunt of Bigoted Racists who only want to be left alone in Peace

Scroll to see replies

It is due to the heavy left wing politics on here combined with large Muslim presence to create an anti-Semitic paradise. With all this "Zionist" crap going around and #freegaza.

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying it all Muslims or all Left Wing people, it is simply a factor)
how on earth is society anti-semetic? nobody cares about the jews because it's such a non-issue
Wow get over yourself... There are many more groups of people that discriminated against more than jewish people...you should feel lucky you have what you have and that you are not a child living in a slum...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why the don't the jews buy a country in Africa?
It isn't. If anything our society's prevailing silence (particularly at a political level) on the actions of Israel would indicate pro-semitism or pro-zionism.

Speaking for myself I have an objection to Israel's recent political/military actions because someone has made the decision to conduct warfare in a way which kills two innocent adults and one child for every enemy militant.

This doesn't extend to a general hatred of Israel, it's people, or Jewish people living elsewhere in the world; many of whom I know also share my objections.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
No way in hell is the society anti-semitic.
I object to Israel because of the way the government and army are treating the Palestinian people. Not because it's a Jewish nation. I've got Jewish friends as well as being partly ethnically Jewish so I'm definitely not anti-Semitic.
Reply 8
India is not anti Semitic we support Israel.
Reply 9
Original post by Datch

The Jewish people for ever have been the Brunt of Bigoted Racists who only want to be left alone in Peace

You have to ask why they have historically been at the brunt of bigoted racists. Why the Jews could not settle anywhere.

First, we have anti-semitism on the part of the Egyptians and Greeks, but to them the Jews were trouble makers prone to mischief. The Greeks were anti-semitic but the Jews were also anti-Greek.

To the Egyptians, if we accept that Hebrews were amongst the numbers of Habiru mercenaries, the Jews would offer their services to one nation and then treasonously "stab them in the back" when it suited them.

Secondly, Jews are fiercely nationalistic, which can border on a subtle racism. Their god Yahweh is a protectorate, which is right...but Yahweh becomes a war god, and the gods of other nations are an abomination to it. This is yet more subtle racism in the hands of priests and kings. The notion that the "children of Abraham" would in time rule the nations is the stuff of fantasy and is a product of resentiment. Then there are words of the Jewish prophets:

Isaiah and the proclamations against Babylon, the oracle concerning Egypt, Judgement upon the nations, the humiliation of Babylon.

Read the Jewish Talmud with reference to the Goyim as the inferior race. Read the Old Testament, the destruction of the Amelekites and Canaanites, the issue of the Philistines, the "curse of Ham" (i.e., Egypt), how the Jews referred to themselves as God's chosen elect who would inherit the earth, how they satirised and insulted the civilisations of the Assyrians and Egyptians.

So the Jews are not completely innocent in all this.
Original post by Datch
In my opinion it's because in recent modern times, Jews attracted envy for being successful in business, science, medicine etc.., the disproportionate number of Jews in these fields attracted resentment.

In more recent times, the Jewish state of Israel has attracted criticism because of the way the Muslim minority is treated. many of those who criticise Israel though would say that it is Israel they disapprove of, not Jews. Some of them are probably sincere in this view, though anti Semitism has such a long history, one suspects that the Muslims are not the main reason at least some of those people criticise Israel.

So have Jews been the brunt of racist bigots forever or is it just in modern times because they're really successful in science?

Jews have always been a minority in western Europe. Minorities have almost always faced persecution and racism anywhere in the world they've been found. That's why historical antisemitism has existed and that's why racism and bigotry against any demographic you care to mention has been found wherever that demographic isn't a majority. Have Jews had it worse than black people or muslims in Britain in recent years? I would say that's a categorical no.

Success of members of a minority in key fields is always held up as an indicator of the discrimination faced by that group. If Jews are as successful as you say, then how could antisemitism be so prevalent in this country?

Some members of every minority will always seek to overstate the prejudice or bigotry they face. Some people seem to love to play the part of the downtrodden oppressed and others think that if they overstate the bigotry they face, it makes their successes seem even better.

I deplore the actions of Israel and think the actions of western governments and Jews in creating it were disgusting. I'm not antisemitic though. You probably won't believe that, or at least won't admit to believing it. Our own government has been utterly complicit in Israel's actions though. Strange stance from a society who apparently hates Jews.
Thankfully, we live in a society where if you're stupid enough to subscribe to anti-Semitic views, you'll be shunned, marginilised and ridiculed. Anti-Semitism does still exist in subtle ways, but I'm glad that it's become such a taboo to hate Jews in this day and age.
Big difference between being anti-semetic and anti-zionist (no matter how hard hasbara trolls are trying to persuade to you that they are the same thing).
Well the whole ethos of TSR and all the moderators is pro muslim. That is why they let people post that the British Army are murderers and similar sentiments. A huge number of clever students are from ethnic minorities so TSR bends over backwards to accommodate their barbaric opinions, customs and cultures and permit the preaching of the same including forced marriage, genital mutilation, execution by beheading, suppression of women's rights, the enforced wearing of the burkha, and other practises so they can be "diverse" and attract "funding" and advertising revenue. It fits in with the zeitgeist to be anti Zionist.
Original post by Datch

Well historically the Jews in Europe were used by the nobility to do their dirty work, money lending most famously. This wealth bought power, as with the Rothchilds for instance. Jews almost never toiled the fields, or undertook any kind of 'real work' but still many grew extraordinarily rich by trading products, and as middlemen. This was obviously a cause of resentment from Europeans, and hence the two came to fear and despise one another.

But mainly I think it was Jewish otherness that is the historic cause. Jews saw themselves as a people apart, strangers passing through lands. They didn't concern themselves in wars etc, but mainly just worried about their own interests and that of the Jewish community. People will react badly to people they perceive not to be on their side.
Because historically they have acted arrogantly and with little regard for gentiles, have lived in insular communities and have been the cause of great trouble in many circles, nations and contexts.
Borat has been spreading his lies!
well don't take over a country and eliminate its people by land grabbing!
Original post by chemistrykid123
well don't take over a country and eliminate its people by land grabbing!

You know as a country we created Israel, right?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
You know as a country we created Israel, right?

Well I guess that makes it ok then... /s

You do know that Israel was created through bloodshed right? E.g. the King David Hotel Bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing) carried out by terrorist Zionist group Irgun which is now known formally as the IDF. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irgun)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending