The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Pharmacists
Original post by 1drowssap
Well, the big difference is probably one uses tax payers money, the other doesn't. For FTSEs, they are private companies, and as far as I'm concerned, they are allowed to pay whatever the hell they want to their CEOs.

MPs, on the other hand, are public servants, who are supposed to do things solely for the benefit of the people. By making the pay high, you are only attracting the wrong kind of people. Increasing pay may attract more people who are doing it to get monetary gains, rather than wanting to serve the public.

So, yes, you can make the MP's compensation 10X or even 20X higher if you feel that they are not paid enough. But realise that it is coming out from your own pocket, and that may just attract those who want to do it for the money.

But if the pay was too low, intelligent people from less well-off backgrounds would choose other professions where they'd be better-rewarded, so we'd have even more upper-class MP's who have so much money already that the salary isn't of much concern to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova
But if the pay was too low, intelligent people from less well-off backgrounds would choose other professions where they'd be better-rewarded, so we'd have even more upper-class MP's who have so much money already that the salary isn't of much concern to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Making MP's pay lower would be a bad idea, IMO.
Original post by SHOO
Pharmacists

lol, you're joking right?
Reply 684
Original post by alevelzzz
lol, you're joking right?

No lol. I work in a pharmacy

It's an independent pharmacy, where the locums earn £50k, and the owner earns £400-500k. He's only opened the pharmacy for a year an a half roughly. It's a business, and if you're competent enough to run a business then you should be rolling in cash. His pharmacy is opposite a SuperDrug pharamcy, and 100 yards away from boots, and two other independent pharmacies that have been open for well over 10 years.

Boots probably pay their locums more, so do tesco, sainsburys etc

Edit: having said that, it's not gonna be the case in 5-10 years. More universities are offering pharmacy as a course now, and the Pharmacist magazine estimates that by 2020, there will be an excess of 20,000 unemployed pharmacists. The government recently closed the loophole which allowed you to open up your own pharmacy (now you can only buy one, or open one if there is a need for a pharmacy).. So not so much now :P also - with the influx of European pharmacists, it's gonna be a lot harder to get a good pay as a locum. Like I said pharmacy is a business and if these independent pharmacies have European pharmacists that are settling for a lower pay, then who would they take?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHOO
No lol. I work in a pharmacy

It's an independent pharmacy, where the locums earn £50k, and the owner earns £400-500k. He's only opened the pharmacy for a year an a half roughly. It's a business, and if you're competent enough to run a business then you should be rolling in cash. His pharmacy is opposite a SuperDrug pharamcy, and 100 yards away from boots, and two other independent pharmacies that have been open for well over 10 years.

Boots probably pay their locums more, so do tesco, sainsburys etc

Edit: having said that, it's not gonna be the case in 5-10 years. More universities are offering pharmacy as a course now, and the Pharmacist magazine estimates that by 2020, there will be an excess of 20,000 unemployed pharmacists. The government recently closed the loophole which allowed you to open up your own pharmacy (now you can only buy one, or open one if there is a need for a pharmacy).. So not so much now :P also - with the influx of European pharmacists, it's gonna be a lot harder to get a good pay as a locum. Like I said pharmacy is a business and if these independent pharmacies have European pharmacists that are settling for a lower pay, then who would they take?

Locums are not most pharmacists. Sucks to be a locum constantly moving around. Average pharmacist salary in one practice is around 35-40k, without much room to go up.
400-500k? With one practice?

Yes, the government don't control student numbers for pharmacy and so there are far too many graduates, its the same in the US too.
Pharmacy is just like any other degree now, not even comparable to medicine or dentistry anymore
Original post by Quady
Right...

So for an all so ran day pupil could it be done on a 60k wage? (which is what the poster mean I think)

Only if you don't have to pay a mortgage / rent.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
That's the price of the absolute most expensive private schools, really. Most private schools will be cheaper than that.

Exactly, because most private schools aren't upper middle class.
Original post by kkboyk
Immunologists

How can you become an immunologist? Plus what's their average pay? And job security?:confused:
Old Etonians
Original post by Sandomando
How can you become an immunologist? Plus what's their average pay? And job security?:confused:

You need a degree in Biological science, chemistry or biomedical science, then a masters/phd in immunology

The salary for trainee immunologist is £33k+ and after 2 years of experience this may rise up to £40k+. Senior immunologist can expect a salary up to £100k.
Original post by kkboyk
You need a degree in Biological science, chemistry or biomedical science, then a masters/phd in immunology

The salary for trainee immunologist is £33k+ and after 2 years of experience this may rise up to £40k+. Senior immunologist can expect a salary up to £100k.

Easy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for being too 'hard' mate.
Original post by kkboyk

Thank you for the info.
Also, Is it really competitive to get into the NHS trainee programme for immunology?
And are immunologists able to work in private hospitals, etc?
Sorry about bombarding you with questions btw, But I'm just trying to figure out if I should do immunology or not
Original post by MrSupernova

Posted from TSR Mobile

If someone thinks that MPs are living off their salaries, they are painfully naïve.
Original post by Sandomando
Thank you for the info.
Also, Is it really competitive to get into the NHS trainee programme for immunology?
And are immunologists able to work in private hospitals, etc?
Sorry about bombarding you with questions btw, But I'm just trying to figure out if I should do immunology or not

No worries.

All health care related work are competitive especially immunology since you'll need at least a masters (which requires you to get above 2:1 in your degree). Yes Immunologists can work in private sector just like any other jobs.
Original post by namename
If someone thinks that MPs are living off their salaries, they are painfully naïve.

George Osborne (from Wikipedia)
"He has an estimated personal fortune of around £4 million, as the beneficiary of a trust fund that owns a 15 per cent stake in Osborne & Little, the wallpaper-and-fabrics company co-founded by his father, Sir Peter Osborne, Bt.[65][66][67]"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ✈ ✈
Those of us with higher life goals than spitting on burgers at a fast-food chain.

because everyone who isn't material-focused is going to end up on the front line of fast food chains

:confused:
Investment bankers doctors is highly respected/status not much graduate salary my brother works in the a&e as a junior Doctor) ..investment bankers =£40k+ graduate starting salary!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk
Sorry for being too 'hard' mate.

Lool I don't even understand this reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending