The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The people who are querying us signing Chambers for £16m are also the people who were sceptical about us signing the Ox for £15m when he was 17/18.

Posted from TSR Mobile
very pleased with Chambers.. cover at CB + a longer term prospect then Debuchey seems great..

Really dont like the rumours about a swap for campbell + money for Balotelli..

I would love balo in the team, but it would be bitter sweat if it comes at the expense of loosing a promising youngster..
Original post by Pete_91
Not disagreeing about the English premium but Southampton fans seem far more annoyed at losing Chambers than Shaw which tells you something.

I liken it to when Leeds United sold James Milner, his departure hurt the most because he was set to step in to replace some of the players who'd moved on. It also sends out the wrong message - players like Lallana & Shaw had been the stars of the season and were linked with moves away for ages. Whereas Chambers hadn't fully established himself yet. He could be the best defender in the country in 2 years but he's not at that level now. When even squad players are being sold on you know **** has hit the fan.

It's no so much the players involved, more the fact that such huge fees are involved when they've done very little in their careers. It shows that something is badly wrong, there's such a low amount of English talent being produced and it's vastly inflating the market. Everyone can see this except the FA. Instead of whining about foreign players they should start improving the grass roots game before it's too late.
Original post by Zürich
The elephant in the room is the fella who started the suggesting revolution crap, Well my grandad put a bullet between his head, left a shallow grave and then he went back to bed. Pointless people.

Zurich dronken, "Ik ben dronken".
Reply 1684
http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/26/sami-khedira-drops-wage-demands-in-last-ditch-bid-to-complete-arsenal-transfer-4811169/

Is the asking price for Schneiderlin is £25m+, and if Khadira seems unlikely.. Who will we go for :/ Bender doesn't seem likely either
Original post by Pete_91
Not disagreeing about the English premium but Southampton fans seem far more annoyed at losing Chambers than Shaw which tells you something.

I assume you think Chambers is the superior player then? :rolleyes:

Let's not get carried away. Shaw has been looking extremely likely to be out the door for the past 7 months. Long before Lallana, Lambert etc etc. Fans I'm sure accepted that months ago.

The reason any Southampton fans will be so pissed about this is because it's an absolute out of the blue kick in the teeth. The club are just taking the piss now. Is there no one they won't sell?

I'm delighted we got Shaw don't get me wrong, but I have to admit it's a crying shame what's happening Southampton, gutted for their fans. They were great to watch last season and deserved their finish.

They will be in big trouble next season I fear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jenkinson's Arsenal career must be effectively over...

On the plus side, he's English so West Ham will buy him for £20.25m
Can't wait to see that Chambo & Chambo combination on the right hand side.
Reply 1688
Good transfer window so far...
Reply 1689
Original post by Zürich

Great buisness
Original post by sr90
I liken it to when Leeds United sold James Milner, his departure hurt the most because he was set to step in to replace some of the players who'd moved on. It also sends out the wrong message - players like Lallana & Shaw had been the stars of the season and were linked with moves away for ages. Whereas Chambers hadn't fully established himself yet. He could be the best defender in the country in 2 years but he's not at that level now. When even squad players are being sold on you know **** has hit the fan.

It's no so much the players involved, more the fact that such huge fees are involved when they've done very little in their careers. It shows that something is badly wrong, there's such a low amount of English talent being produced and it's vastly inflating the market. Everyone can see this except the FA. Instead of whining about foreign players they should start improving the grass roots game before it's too late.

Yeah no argument from me, couldn't agree more about the problem with English premium players. When Jordi Alba costs barca 12m and shaw costs United 30m with astronomical wage differences you know that the PL is in trouble.
Original post by hayles101
I assume you think Chambers is the superior player then? :rolleyes:

Let's not get carried away. Shaw has been looking extremely likely to be out the door for the past 7 months. Long before Lallana, Lambert etc etc. Fans I'm sure accepted that months ago.

The reason any Southampton fans will be so pissed about this is because it's an absolute out of the blue kick in the teeth. The club are just taking the piss now. Is there no one they won't sell?

I'm delighted we got Shaw don't get me wrong, but I have to admit it's a crying shame what's happening Southampton, gutted for their fans. They were great to watch last season and deserved their finish.

They will be in big trouble next season I fear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not what I claimed at all. They play different positions for a start (his ability to cover at CB appears to be our primary motive), it's basically what sr90 said. He was a prospect to replace prospects that got bought, which means far more damage than just losing a player whom has been touted for a move for months.

For the record I prefer Clyne to Chambers at RB and said in the England thread he should have gone to the world cup ahead of Johnson. The latter has more potential though. Good CB cover and can play in midfield too or so I've heard.
Original post by Zürich

(My bad for the triple post)

Surely we can send him on loan to a PL side like West Ham? He's only 22 I don't see why we're writing him off already? Chambers might be a future CB replacement you never know with Wenger he turned Kolo from a CAM to CDM to RB to CB :awesome:

In other news, just watched this game for the first time in years. Probably my favourite of the 49:

[video="dailymotion;xjhgaj"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjhgaj_arsenal-5-3-middlesbrough-highlights_sport[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
That troll Manchester United has finally made it into positive rep. It's a dark day for all of TSR. Chambers is a good signing, you're having a good window.
Reply 1694
Is podolski on his way out ? There were talks of him going when we signed Sanchez and he's not on with the boys in NYC.
Reply 1695
Original post by Pete_91
(My bad for the triple post)

Surely we can send him on loan to a PL side like West Ham? He's only 22 I don't see why we're writing him off already? Chambers might be a future CB replacement you never know with Wenger he turned Kolo from a CAM to CDM to RB to CB :awesome:

In other news, just watched this game for the first time in years. Probably my favourite of the 49:

[video="dailymotion;xjhgaj"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjhgaj_arsenal-5-3-middlesbrough-highlights_sport[/video]

Ahh what a team we use to be :frown:

The way the commentator screamed during Reyes's goal though
Reply 1696
Original post by t()m
Is podolski on his way out ? There were talks of him going when we signed Sanchez and he's not on with the boys in NYC.

He's not on with the boys at NYC because Ozil Mertesacker and Podolski are meant to be rested and expected to miss out on our first game vs palace
Original post by t()m

He's not in NYC because he's on a four week holiday just like Ozil and Mert. I think he'll see out the rest of his contract and leave for his boyhood club
Talk of the fee for Chambers being £18m!! Was hearing £7m yesterday when the news first broke!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice are saying we've signed Ospina (Source: SSN)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest