The Student Room Group

Hunting : Your views?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
The animal gets eaten and it's body/remains used.

Hardly a waste.

But is it hunted and killed because the hunter wants to eat it or because the hunter wants some enjoyment?
Original post by Zik007
But is it hunted and killed because the hunter wants to eat it or because the hunter wants some enjoyment?

In my case usually both, as others have said the primary joy of the experience comes from the tracking and stealth, the long wait and the aiming of the shot, there is of course great satisfaction when the shot is successful.

However I always hunt with the intention of taking the Meat home or with the aim to cull.
Reply 82
Where I used to live, hunting is a popular sport (usually for boar and deer) and I always fancied giving it a go. Also, preparing a carcass is something that is missing in my "outdoor repertoire" :smile:.
Would you shoot people for fun? No. Primitive socities can be excused because of their ignorance and reliance, hunting today is just cruel.
Reply 84
Honestly I think killing animals for fun is pretty damn depraved.
Original post by miser
Honestly I think killing animals for fun is pretty damn depraved.

The fun part of hunting doesn't come from the kill, a kill simply means success. The fun part comes from everything else - being out in the countryside, finding quarry species, hunting them down, using stealth, getting within range, and then taking the shot. Then there's the food aspect of it, depending on the animal. There's nothing "depraved" about any of that.

The fun part of hunting doesn't come from killing, it comes from everything else and a kill is simply an end to a successful hunt. Think of it this way - I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted. And an unsuccessful hunt without a kill is still an enjoyable event.

It's a massive simplification to pretend hunting is about "killing for fun".
If the hunted animal is to be eaten then I guess it's no different to anyone else killing an animal for food. If not then I find it very, very disturbing.
I don't understand, i don't agree with hunting unless you're killing the animal to eat it; it shouldn't really be a sport & you shouldn't be profiting from it. If you hunt endangered species you deserve to be shot.
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel people are especially against it because it's largely wealthy westerners (even redneck hillbillies are wealth vs like amazon tribes yano?) who participate in it as a sport/tradition. Fox hunting has been a big deal here in the UK, large groups of people ride on horses with packs of dogs bred to hunt and destroy (literally... DESTROY) wild foxes for sport.

If it was a tradition of less priviledged, older civilisations it would be less frowned upon. If for example the Masai tribes in Kenya/Tanzania hunted for sport rather than food etc. it wouldn't be such a big deal.

An argument against hunting that I hear often is (regarding trophy hunting anyway like the Impala etc) suff about endangered species etc. I'm pretty sure that the only way to trophy hunt is to pay an ass load of money to hunt specifically bred animals on a reserve. In some cases captive breeding for the purposes of trophy hunting are actually helping to support populations of species which are fairly low in number. You could argue about the validity of supporting a population by breeding in captivity but it's not entirely different to a zoo. Sure in a zoo the point of breeding an animal isnt to kill it, but it is to raise it in captivity. Usually the encolsure size of animals in a zoo is actually smaller than most hunting parks. Animals raised to be killed for sport arguably have a greater quality of life. When it comes to killing the animal, the point is usually as quick, clean and efficient a kill as possible. With a good shot the animal is dead before it hits the ground, when they are left wounded and escape they are tracked down and quickly killed as humanely as possible. The quality of life/stress of being hunted/injured for raised animals are actually fairly difficult to asail.

In my opinion it only really comes down to people views on the morality of killing an animal for no reason other than your own satisfaction. In response to that I'd argue that if one of your greatest concerns/moral pet hates is hunting then you're not paying enough attention to world news. Further to that, this argument about morality simply boils down to opinon and upbringing. Any argument about what is right or wrong is doomed to remain for ever unresolved as there is no universal guidlines as to what is right or wrong. We have governing laws, by which in most places hunting of some sort is legal, so if your argument is it's morally wrong then governments actually seem to disagree with you, not just the hunters.
Reply 89
Original post by RFowler
The fun part of hunting doesn't come from the kill, a kill simply means success. The fun part comes from everything else - being out in the countryside, finding quarry species, hunting them down, using stealth, getting within range, and then taking the shot. Then there's the food aspect of it, depending on the animal. There's nothing "depraved" about any of that.

The fun part of hunting doesn't come from killing, it comes from everything else and a kill is simply an end to a successful hunt. Think of it this way - I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted. And an unsuccessful hunt without a kill is still an enjoyable event.

It's a massive simplification to pretend hunting is about "killing for fun".

I'll believe that when you decide one day to be out in the countryside, finding quarry species, tracking them down, using stealth, getting within range, taking aim and don't shoot.
Original post by miser
I'll believe that when you decide one day to be out in the countryside, finding quarry species, tracking them down, using stealth, getting within range, taking aim and don't shoot.

I think you missed out the part in my other post where I said something along the lines of "a kill is a logical end to a successful hunt". And the part about the meat. The kill is a tiny part of a hunt and is not the fun part. But it is still an important part.

You also have to bear in mind that pest control shooting often has a sporting element to it as well, and with pest control the kill is necessary.
Reply 91
Hunting is unproductive, primitive and just plain stupid. As one poster has previously mentioned, people who hunt for pleasure need "mental evaluation". Hunting for pleasure or for no reason as an exchange for the pain and suffering of animal is abhorrent.

Traditionally the sport of Hunting was a trademark upper-class sport which really says a lot about these so called civilised people, although I won't just narrow it down to wealthy idiots.

If you hunt, you're a moron. Feel free to disagree with me but it will still be true. Don't worry though there are many famous morons who do the same (Harry and William Mountbatten-Windsor)
Reply 92
Original post by RFowler
I think you missed out the part in my other post where I said something along the lines of "a kill is a logical end to a successful hunt". And the part about the meat. The kill is a tiny part of a hunt and is not the fun part. But it is still an important part.

You also have to bear in mind that pest control shooting often has a sporting element to it as well, and with pest control the kill is necessary.

Yes, I haven't been actively reading this thread.

If the kill is a necessary component of the hunt, and the hunt is practised for fun, then it is a logical implication that the hunter is killing for fun.

If there are other motivations for the hunt (i.e., it is not primarily motivated for fun), then that's a separate issue.
Original post by Acidy
Hunting is unproductive, primitive and just plain stupid. As one poster has previously mentioned, people who hunt for pleasure need "mental evaluation". Hunting for pleasure or for no reason as an exchange for the pain and suffering of animal is abhorrent.

Traditionally the sport of Hunting was a trademark upper-class sport which really says a lot about these so called civilised people, although I won't just narrow it down to wealthy idiots.

If you hunt, you're a moron. Feel free to disagree with me but it will still be true. Don't worry though there are many famous morons who do the same (Harry and William Mountbatten-Windsor)

I presume you are vegetarian?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser

I actually have done that.
Original post by Acidy
Hunting is unproductive, primitive and just plain stupid. As one poster has previously mentioned, people who hunt for pleasure need "mental evaluation".

I have actually passed numerous mental evaluations over the past seven years due to various Job's if it is's any consolation?

I have mild OCD, otherwise i'm fine.

Hunting for pleasure or for no reason as an exchange for the pain and suffering of animal is abhorrent.

So your fine if it's for culling reasons or if you fancy some Vennison?

Maybe two hundred years ago, now it's almost exclusively the province of the working to lower middle class, and we don't go around in bands of nine on horseback either.

Generally in bands of one or two, through cold snow, muddy fields and murky forests freezing our tits off.

If you hunt, you're a moron.

So people aiming to preserve our countryside and the species that reside within it are morons?
Cool.
Original post by idelaghetto
I don't understand, i don't agree with hunting unless you're killing the animal to eat it;

I always eat it, or at least sell it to someone who will make sure it gets eaten.

What about culling?
Already banned so irrelevant
It's sick.
Someone's life is precious for **** sake. You can't just go around and kill animals because it's socially acceptable or it's '' a sport '' that gives you '' thrill '' .
The only '' thrill '' you can get is seriously being a freak who kills innocent beings who have all the rights to live ?
What if the role were reversed and you were the haunted animal ?
Get over yourself.
Original post by Zenomorph
Already banned so irrelevant

I think you missing the point, hunting can be done in a plethora of way not just the horse and hounds method. That is also about shooting and culling and even trapping if that is what you are in to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending