The Student Room Group

EPQ Help!

I've been asked to decide my EPQ (extended project qualification) topic and do research before I start sixth form. But, I'm in a bit of a mess.

I'm planning on studying History, English, Classical Civilizations and Psychology, so I would like at least one of them to connect somehow to my EPQ. I would also like to do something to do with Japan as I have always had a great interest in their culture. I'm also interested in mythology and the civil rights movements, but I'm not sure if I can tie that in.

So... getting to the question. Should I focus on my topics or allow myself to branch out? Also, if anyone has any suggestions on questions or topics I could use as a guide, that would be really helpful!

Thank you for reading!
Reply 1
As it is your life you can choose what you would like to do. I would continue history, English and psychology to A2 and drop civ at AS. For the EPQ it would be best to take history as it is a faucilating subject, but it all depends if you want to go to university and certain courses you would like to study but if you choose a competitive university civil will damage the chances as it is on the "black out" lists or seen as a doss topic.

Just a little info :tongue:
Original post by Gunni098
As it is your life you can choose what you would like to do. I would continue history, English and psychology to A2 and drop civ at AS. For the EPQ it would be best to take history as it is a faucilating subject, but it all depends if you want to go to university and certain courses you would like to study but if you choose a competitive university civil will damage the chances as it is on the "black out" lists or seen as a doss topic.

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Classical Civilisation is a respected subject, actually.
Reply 3
Original post by Pectorac
LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Classical Civilisation is a respected subject, actually.

Oh I got it confused with critical studies!! I do apologise! :s
Reply 4
We were advised to pick an subject title which could be debated. From a reader's point of view, it's a lot more interesting to see the different types of opinions concerning a topic than to plough through 5000 words of pure fact. My topic was whether lifestyle is really responsible for increasing cases of cancer, a friend of mine wrote about the ethics and conflicting views on stem cells.

The important thing to remember about the EPQ is that you won't get the kind of guidance you would for normal topics. You have to do all of the research yourself and all of the writing on your own. Also, if you're interviewed by any universities in the future they may decide to ask you about it (that's what happened in my interview anyway). It doesn't really matter whether the topic you pick is directly linked to your A level options, but make sure you select something you are genuinely interested in.
Reply 5
Original post by Reina
We were advised to pick an subject title which could be debated. From a reader's point of view, it's a lot more interesting to see the different types of opinions concerning a topic than to plough through 5000 words of pure fact. My topic was whether lifestyle is really responsible for increasing cases of cancer, a friend of mine wrote about the ethics and conflicting views on stem cells.

The important thing to remember about the EPQ is that you won't get the kind of guidance you would for normal topics. You have to do all of the research yourself and all of the writing on your own. Also, if you're interviewed by any universities in the future they may decide to ask you about it (that's what happened in my interview anyway). It doesn't really matter whether the topic you pick is directly linked to your A level options, but make sure you select something you are genuinely interested in.

Thank you for your help!!
Reply 6

Thanks for your help! I'm actually looking at taking a Japanese language/culture course (probably dual with History) at Sheffield, so maybe doing something to do with Japanese History would be good...
Thanks again!
(by the way, what do you mean 'black out' list? As in it's conversational topic?)
Reply 7
Original post by Amy_Kathryn
Thanks for your help! I'm actually looking at taking a Japanese language/culture course (probably dual with History) at Sheffield, so maybe doing something to do with Japanese History would be good...
Thanks again!
(by the way, what do you mean 'black out' list? As in it's conversational topic?)

Open the link and scroll to the bottom you'll see Sheffield's blackout list :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_Level_-_%22Respected%22_A_Levels#Sample_.22Blacklists.22
Reply 8
Open the link and scroll to the bottom you'll see Sheffield's blackout list :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_Level_-_%22Respected%22_A_Levels#Sample_.22Blacklists.22

Ah! Thank you!!
Reply 9
Original post by Amy_Kathryn
Ah! Thank you!!

Welcome :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest